Why cant i print a thread to pdf?

First of all, i see no relevant “category” to post this question to so please forgive my ignorance once again.

Can somebody tell me how to simply print a thread to pdf ?
Using google chrome “print to pdf” or " save as does not work.
It only shows a part of the thread, then its blank.
Are people restricted from backing up info for future offline reference ?

Also, how do i get rid of the creepy “discobot” notificaions ?

1 Like

Have you tried something like this? GoFullPage - Full Page Screen Capture - Chrome Web Store

It’s a Chrome extension to screenshot full pages, it works fine on normal websites so maybe works for threads too.

(Looking at the camera, cheeeeers)

Print, try the CTRL+P keyboard shortcut from within a topic.

In which situation is Discobot bothering you without being called?

1 Like

Not terribly surprised, the forum seems to only show as much of a thread as it needs to, filling out the later posts as you scroll down. I suspect that printing a whole thread won’t work until someone (e.g. the developers of the forum, or some third party) does something to change that, e.g. maybe third party script that fools the web page into thinking it’s in a very tall monitor.

Actually … there must surely be some tools that do that already ? Maybe @mutt already found one (above).

EDIT: there does seem to be something built-in by the developers already -> How to print or export very long topics - support - Discourse Meta

2 Likes

This is effectively also what i just intuitively tried and even large topics are rendered without issues - it’s not a photographic/browser representation, it will be formatted for print without some of the baubles, but the content is all there.

So - on Chrome (Mac), for me, command+P creates a PDF that you can then print off, it may take a while to create a preview before saving, if it’s a long topic.

5 Likes

you could try to use these instructions and open chrome’s reading mode then move the data to a pdf from there. I don’t know for sure that it will work but sounds legit.

How to enable Google’s clever new Chrome Reading Mode right now | Computerworld

2 Likes

Cool., i will try the various options, thank you.