Why aren't my slight pattern differences saving? Analogue RYTM MK2

I create a beat with a dual vco bassline and save it to bank A4. I copy and paste this beat and bassline to bank A5. I then manipulate the DUAL VCO bassline in bank A5 to be one octave higher. I switch back to bank A4 only to find out that it also manipulated the octave for that DUAL VCO the same way it did bank 5. How do I keep these sounding separate? How many kind of saves do I have to carry out when I initially made that subtle DUAL VCO change in bank A5 to keep it from transferring to bank A4 as well? Thanks fam

The analogs have a different kind of structure. If you are copying a pattern, you are not copying the kit. You are still using the same original kit. You have to copy the kit too, otherwise a change made to the sound, will be noticable in all patterns associated with that kit.

1 Like

It helped me for a while to save a new version of the kit for each pattern…

It does start to suck if you improve something on one patterns kit and then have to make that edit on 8 kits…

But until you get your head around kits scenes and performances it will help to just save a new kit per pattern…

1 Like

OK. So

1. Copy and paste the audio in A4 to A5.
  2. Manipulate A5 to the differential way I want it to sound.
  3. While in A5 hit “yes/save kit.”
  4. While in A5 hit “yes/save pattern.”
  5. Switch back to A4 to verify it sounds different from the changes one just made to A5?

Hahahaha yip …

But once you start planning scenes, performances you may find that one pattern is all you need…and you start to plan the changes in the scenes…it sounds like the long way around but once you go back to a DT or DN you miss the power of the structure of the AR and A4

2 Likes

Do you remember how to copy the kit? I thought you can only really copy patterns. Like copy whats going on in A4 TO A5…When I hit “copy” and hit “play/kit” nothing happens. Is it “function>copy>play/kit?” Nothing happened when I did that either…

After creating a pattern with a kit you like you need to save the kit to A4 or whatever then you can copy the pattern to the next pattern slot and make changes. If you don’t like the changes you’ve made you can reload the kit you’ve saved. If you like the changes you need to save as A5 etc. once you get used to this situation it kind of makes sense.
I personally wish Elektron would give the option for per-pattern saving as with the Digitakt. There are 128 slots available for kits in each project and it seems logical that patterns should be automatically associated with the corresponding kit memory slots but they aren’t.

2 Likes

I think this will overwrite the kit in A4. You have to open the kit menu and save to the slot that corresponds with A5 (which isn’t obvious past the first 16). Then the pattern is associated to a new kit and “yes/kit” will save to that kit (slot). I think…

2 Likes

In my examples, I hadn’t yet created any kits. Perhaps that was the problem? I was just going w the flow messing around with the innate
tracks, but did not take the time to first create and save any prescribed kits to
“function>kit” slots 01-16…
I was hoping I could do it this way. Rather than first picking my favorite sounds, saving a kit, and then diverse making patterns.

1 Like

Everybody has to learn the hard way with the Rytm…

1 Like

It was quite an upgrade from my Roland BOSS DR-3.

1 Like

Crikey… that is a big jump.

1 Like

Another solution is to use 1 kit, but on the second pattern, p-lock all the parameter changes you want to have happen. Obviously there’s trade-offs here, all the other kit changes you make will be shared across all the patterns that use the kit. Depends on what you want to do.

2 Likes

P-locks

1 Like

Lol how did I forget about those?! Thanks

For sure, thanks.

Thanks