Why 90% of users dont have their music in the profile?

I had no idea you could do it! Too bad you can only add one of your music projects, I just added the most recent and active.

Iā€˜m getting a 500 Error when trying to add music to my accountā€¦

But I donā€™t share work in progress tracks, and my finished stuff gets released via labels :slightly_smiling_face:

because its some shitty soundcloud link integration and not a freely assignable link. i have a link to my bandcamp

Forcing yourself to finish projects is everything that youā€™ve described, very difficult at times. But it is an extremely important part of artwork, and artwork is never finished, only abandoned. Therefore, do the hard parts; the mixing, mastering, making a bridge, adding drum fills, cutting what doesnā€™t work, substitute what doesā€¦

These are the type of things to me that feel like ā€œworkā€ and not very fun like jamming or creating patches, but are necessary. Otherwise nobody will ever know what youā€™re fully capable of musically. I put out an EP finally this year and it feels great!

4 Likes

My jazz piano teacher in community college said to me that itā€™s all 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. This is a bit hyperbolic (thank god, or none of us would finish anything!) but the metaphorical truth rings true.

My friend recently quit a project him and I were working on together. It had been taking us significantly longer than we had thought. We had about nine or ten songs we thought would be out by this time last year. Turns out we were wrong. After going in to record/arrange these songsā€“that were, for all intents and purposes, written and completed and could be played front to backā€“we kept coming up against walls and difficulties and after a year of this I think it wore on him too much. When he explained to me he was leaving to work on other stuff he said ā€œI wish it could just be easy like it was in the beginning.ā€ā€¦Because it was easy! We wrote those songs super fast and felt good about them. But recording them? Learning a new DAW? Sitting there and trying out different instruments/parts and finding none of it works like you imagined it would? Scrapping a song or two because you realize theyā€™re not to your liking? Taking a month and a half to get a completed song that youā€™re not as satisfied with as youā€™d like to be?

That shit is not easy, my friends. But it is necessary. I told him that unless we had a bunch of money and went to a professional studio who did all this stuff for us, there was no way in hell any of this was going to be easy. It was bound to be difficult from the outset.

I donā€™t think there is a way around the work. ā€œLabor of loveā€ and all that. The alternative is not finishing the workā€“and thatā€™s even scarier.

5 Likes

what do you mean ?

I am sure many make music for themselves, for fun, as a creative outlet without any ambition what so ever. Not caring what other people think about it.

Congrats on that :wink:

2 Likes

Agreeā€¦i could care less what people think of the sounds i compile are like.
Its for me.

2 Likes

I should start posting my music as a masochistic exercise. Like ā€œcome one come all get your next burn in on this joke of track.ā€

nice and diverse ideas and thoughts hereā€¦

to me: i released records in the early 2000s. i made a lot of tv commercials and paid projects later onā€¦ i decided to drop itā€¦
simply because, when i received my first own record on vinyl, i thought its a great momentā€¦ it wasnt. i checked the pressing, tested if the sound was, like we mastered it for 30 seconds. it was. i didnt touched the record that i was so passionate for years to make for over a year and i really didnt cared about any comment of anyone listen to itā€¦ good or badā€¦ i was simply completly done with this record.

This is where i noticed, that making music is about the moment a melody comes to mind up to the moment, where you arranged and rethought a track to the moment, where it is not you playing the track, but the track plays you and you just get goosebumps. thats what i make music for.

now in terms of MP3 and streamingā€¦ well to be honest: i simply dont give a shit on having someone listen to a track or not.

i just love to do music, love to play instruments, love the shape sounds in a mix, love to play together with musicians i like and share ideas and a good evening.

Thats all :slight_smile:

4 Likes

True storyā€¦same boat, different scenario.
Hard to watch something youve worked on fizzle ourā€¦

ahahahā€¦ ditto. :joy:

1 Like

I think it will be easier to understand an advice from somebody if you can hear what kind of music is he/she into.
nonetheless, most of music techniques are universal, but there are many different approaches depending on style.

Because nobody cares about my music :smiley:

https://youtu.be/99hUrCnQyDw

2 Likes

not true :wink:

1 Like

Ok, I see.

I donā€™t have music in my profile because I get a 500 error from the server when I try to add it :joy:

I donā€™t make music; hence none in my profile.

1 Like

Most of my music isnā€™t on soundcloud.

Bunch of stuff here though: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6i75gbdh51wh7e9/AABHS8jNVkTHq3Dczs1eoaK6a?dl=0

try with different browser (chrome or firefox)
but you should first update your souncloud account :wink:

because, what I have heard so far, your music is absolutely amazing.

ah ! soundcloud only ? Iā€™ll pass thenā€¦ hereā€™s my hearthis: https://hearthis.at/theostomp/

1 Like