Why 90% of users dont have their music in the profile?

No worries! I think we are mostly in agreement - jerks can take a hike. Safe travels.

My apologies to the OP, Iā€™ve taken this way off topic.

A quick and convenient way to hear fellow members music, or share your own, is a good thing and should be taken advantage of. Things can get lost in the Our Music area, but maybe you see someone in a thread and are curious about their music - great, there is a link in their profile.

Wanting to hear the music of jerks? :grinning: That is a tiny fraction of this and was mainly mentioned as an aside. Sorry if my thoughts ruffled some feathers. Although, Iā€™ll just say I really donā€™t appreciate having words put in my mouth or having my words twisted, so I probably went a bit overboard in replying. Iā€™ll bow out now. Peace.

Umm no, sorry, I wasnā€™t replying directly anything to what you said. Just rambling out aloud here :nyan:

Speaking of knowitall type of comments, I personally do not mind them. Usually checking a personsā€™ profile page and reading back some of their post history tells me far more about the person and where theyā€™re coming from than any soundcloud links. Its this thing we old geezers do - projecting past experiences from extrapolating some data, and foolishly thinking ā€ooh its one of themā€. Usually tells me all I need to know about just how to weigh in their ā€adviceā€.

Speaking of advice, some of the best ideas Iā€™ve ever got came from newbies or people who are not making music themselves. You never know, always be open to everything :wink:

4 Likes

Sorry I should elaborate so it doesnā€™t look like Iā€™m being an elitist.

I think itā€™s all reletive, I have audio engineer friends that are not very good song writers but if they released something the mix would still be professional grade. If they started sprouting opinions about mixing I would listen, however if it were about song writing I would listen but also take it with a grain of salt.

We all have our own filters for how we absorb information on the internet, itā€™s just one of mine (right or wrong). Also I honestly only check peopleā€™s pages when they are overly pushy or exhibit jerkish behaviour (their post history is great for this too!). I would never disallow someone from the conversation table because of lack of experience or wrong opinions (itā€™s a chance for them to correct them!).

2 Likes

I guess this is what I was also trying to say in a very ā€œtaking the scenic-routeā€ kind of way. I get really annoyed with the ego-driven know-it-all types who dump on newbies, or have to state everything in a very inflammatory way. Whether itā€™s proving how smart they are or only offering non-constructive criticism of otherā€™s music. I know I shouldnā€™t care, but it gets to me.

Far from being elitist, or thinking only people who have released 20 albums should be able to speak or offer opinions, itā€™s a strong feeling of - everyone should be allowed to participate, ask questions - even ā€œdumbā€ questions, or test out new musical ideas and ask for feedback, without feeling like the king of the forum/castle is going to swoop in and bash them at any moment. I only thought for a moment it would be nice to hear these bullyā€™s music, to see if they are really as good as they seem to think they are. If all thatā€™s behind that bluster and ego is a few incoherent squeeble-bleep-blips, then Iā€™ll have a quiet private chuckle and shrug off their harsh posts. Petty maybe, but an honest thought and curiosity.

Feels funny to perhaps be misinterpreted as thinking any differently - or almost the exact opposite of what I meant. Maybe I misunderstood though. Sorry @tsutek, for being so defensive. Time for me to go have a big glass of wine and chill. Seriously, sorry man. Iā€™m guess Iā€™m rightfully earning a rep for being defensive, sensitive, and overreacting. I apologize. This sort of thing never happens to me in real life because I can see facial expressions and read body language and hear voice tone. The internet is a perfect storm for misreading people. I need a break I think. :confounded:

4 Likes

A related point: a friend of mine who is pretty much just into hip hop boldly states the the beatles are way overrated and not great.
He does not play any instruments.
Due to this i fully dismiss his statement as coming from somebody who just doesnā€™t know. I can only respect criticism from somebody that does something themselves and they are good at it, be it sports or music or art, etc. (Kind of the opposite of the person who yells at his screen that the professional athlete isnā€™t hustling enough but he himself can barely climb stairs without panting). If someone just doesnā€™t like something thatā€™s different, itā€™s their opinionā€¦just not for them. I wonā€™t argue opinions if they are stated as such.
Now, if i hear music from someone that blows me away on a technical level of course i listen closer to advice. They have shown me that they know, not just in theory, but in practice.

5 Likes

Point in case
Every member of the prodigy
Some good music
Completely arrogant arsehatsā€¦

b/c my music sucks lol

3 Likes

For sure, I totally agree, worrying over who listens to your music is pointless. Just keep making music :slight_smile:

1 Like

mine is all trash

I took a break from music production for 6-8 years or so before realizing that was a horrible idea. Back then, soundclick was the popular song sharing site.

Iā€™m getting somewhere with my Elektron boxes though and will probably post some stuff eventually. I suck at finishing songs and am very picky with how everything sounds.

1 Like

All good sir!

Regular www breaks have been proven to improve spiritual well-being. Should take more breaks myself

1 Like

I thougt I already added tracks from my profile but I missed to click on the big ā€œplus symbolā€.

Now I fixed it!

All the best from Hamburg

Soundcloud just destroys bass guitar and guitar when you spend good time and money to get perfect overdrive on them. Kind of makes it sound like the whole mix has had some crappy distortion applied.
Orā€¦ whatever.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read through a lot of these, and I get where a lot of you are coming from. It is time consuming to track stuff out and focus on a ā€œsongā€ instead of just jamming and having fun. It is a little bit of work to finish something. It does take a little fun out of it. It is a little scary to share. It is hard to find time. It is tough to put yourself out thereā€¦

I honestly have worked on tracks since I was in high school back in the early 2000ā€™s. I hadnā€™t finished a song until November of 2017 (like 15 years later) when I forced myself to put out an EP. I didnā€™t even properly mix it or really even try all that hard because initially they were all recordings of new, in-progress material that I pieced together to listen to myself so I could let things marinate. I did them all in one pass and recorded them live in one take, but then I decided to let two people hear it (whose opinions I trusted and who werenā€™t exactly fans of the genre) and they thought it sounded pretty cool and pushed me to just release it as-is - so I released it! Now that that one is out of the way, I feel like I just want to put more material out into the world and not spend all my time waiting for it to be ā€œperfectā€ā€¦ Iā€™m happy that some ā€œartā€ Iā€™ve created will live in the world and not hide on an ancient CD-R or thumb drive lost somewhere - unfinished and unappreciated. Force yourself to finish something and move on. Itā€™s kind of cathartic and honestly feels great. If people donā€™t like it, well, who cares. We only do this life thing once and honestly itā€™s pretty cool to just put a bow on something and call it done. Itā€™s refreshing! Also, I feel like if youā€™re not that happy with your work - all the more reason to put it out there and get feedbackā€¦and then keep making more! Youā€™ll only get better and not worry so much about sharing your stuff in the future. It was the scariest thing to me initially, now I like sharing my works in progress (within reason). =)

3 Likes

All good, I understand.

ItĀ“s different when someone is really condescending, I agree.

But to be fair, I have been accused of being ā€œcondescendingā€ simply because I disagreed with someone before, and/or because my way of passing on knowledge (counting it down list-style, mostly) can seemā€¦ blunt to some people.

As you said, it is completely a matter of perspective.

And since I am not a fan of opinions I didnĀ“t ask for, I chose not to share my ā€œworkā€ (also most tracks I work on arenĀ“t my own and I have no right to share them).

1 Like

Just started doing itā€¦
My move to using synths and samplers and drum machines was spurred by a diagnosis of Meniers disease, which is an imbalance of fluids in the inner ear. I lost about 35% of my hearing in my left ear and had to leave off playing the drum set as a result.
Meniers sucks. The worst aspect of it being disabling vertigo where i feel like Iā€™m falling through the floor and the room wonā€™t stop spinning around.
Another result of this is that Iā€™m sure my mix is garbage. There is a range of frequencies that i just donā€™t pick up in my left ear anymore. but, fuck itā€¦ Iā€™m going to put my musical sketches up there on the internet and people cam listen to them or not. id love it if people did.
Iā€™m back on a computer of my own after a hiatus of about, oh, 15 years, and i have some fancy and beautiful gear to make music with in the comfort of my bedroom. frequently naked when i do so.
im super glad i bought these instruments and equally pleased to have found this forum.
Cheers!

7 Likes

I stopped uploading music and adding links because I actually got a good few offers to release stuff. Sounds great but it put my fragile state of mind into a complete spin. I was either too fussy about whether the tracks were finished or I couldnā€™t provide stems, as I donā€™t work that way. The fact is I havenā€™t actually made a track in over 6 years. I have gear of course, and enjoy messing around but iā€™ve yet to start really trying to put a track together.

3 Likes

Omg you guys are so free over there #sojelous

The performance is the prodct. :wink:

1 Like