Who's using an A4 cv to Modular?

Exactly - that’s pretty much the only Y option, separate from going with a stubby Y adapter, stuck right into the back of the A4.
I only wish there was a version of this Hosa Y cable that ended in 1/8" female, rather than 1/4" ! :joy:

I couldn’t find the correct cables so I ended up with this big pile of mess.

I logged onto the forum now to ask this very question, and there’s already six pages worth of information! Great! I’m starting a modular myself, but from what I had in mind, I see that I can probably prioritize a bit differently as to which modules to get first, seeing as the A4 can do so much.

Looking to get some Make Noise-stuff to begin with. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the info posted, and keep it coming!

i use these plugged into a multi.

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/Audio-Y-Cables-Y-Cables/TecNec/Y-SPFS-2M.xhtml

or the bottom one of these works, so you’d have to get two or mod the top.
http://www.doepfer.de/a181.htm

Oh, lord, there are so many cool modules. I can see myself getting completely sucked into this stuff. Do I really want to? Yes, of course. But really? Fuck, I feel a bit like when you’re on your way up on a tab of acid, you kind of love it and want to have sex with it, yet it’s scary as hell too.

Oh, well, there’s only one way to find out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ned - your jams are inspiring to say the least! Very, very nice sounding. You’re good, man. :slight_smile:

Are you aware of these ?
I have 2, they are fantastic:

Welcome to the euro train mate. Glad you’re coming aboard too. Have you signed up at www.modulargrid.net yet? Make noise stuff seems pretty nice. I’ve got my eye on a few of their modules (STO, function, optomix and moddemix).
I was really nervous when I ordered my first few bits. I can’t believe I spent so much on what “looks” like so little. But damn I’m glad I did.

little incunablula inspired ditty. More modules getting ordered tomorrow HUZZAH!

Welcome to the euro train mate. Glad you’re coming aboard too. Have you signed up at www.modulargrid.net yet? Make noise stuff seems pretty nice. I’ve got my eye on a few of their modules (STO, function, optomix and moddemix).
I was really nervous when I ordered my first few bits. I can’t believe I spent so much on what “looks” like so little. But damn I’m glad I did. [/quote]
Hehe, thanks, I’m looking forward to the ride! Yep, I’ve signed up and started building a basic rack.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89960

Basically just a sketch at this point.

I haven’t quite decided what case to go for though - the Happy Endings kit looks nice, easy to hook up to an angled rack, but let’s say I get three or four of them eventually, which each needs their own power supply, that’s not ideal. Or is there some way you can chain them and only use one wall wart, do you know?

Also trying to figure out what it is you are discussing over the last couple of pages, I know it’s got something to do with cables and output, but not really sure of any more than that, haha.

Judging from your videos, it definitely seems to be a well made decision! :smiley:

I’m using these, work great

Anyone confirm i’ve got this right workflow wise?

Using the A4 as a CV seq + mixer/FX box via FX ch / ext ins and CV trk

If I want to use the filters and env I need to canablise a trk voice. I set eg. My CV A to send V/oct and source would be say trk 1. Ext in L or R set on trk 1

Any other cool features? I need to look into understanding how to send LFO and envelopes.

Just came across this very informative document, ‘Elektron Analog Four: CV Output Tips’, might be useful for other newbs as well. :slight_smile:

http://analog.pen.io/

Welcome to the club Daisuk, say goodbye to everything else in your life :slight_smile:

The Make noise stuff is wicked! Check out DPO, Maths, Wogglebug oh & Phonogene & Echophon will be right up your Street!!!

Oh, yes, they’re all on the shortlist! :wink: The missus and I are planning a trip to India around x-mas, and I have to admit, I have a hard time seeing how I’m going to save up for that trip now, haha.

Guys I got a bit of a question. I’ve been experimenting but not been able to achieve what I want.

I have CV C set to a sine wav LFO. Its set up as a linear value. What I want is a constant slow sweep up and then back down (the sweep is for a wavetable sweep on braids but I’ve also tried it on pitch). The problem is I am not getting an even up down motion. It seems to be hanging on either the lower portion or the upper portion. What am I missing?

Maybe you need to attenuate the signal? Sounds like you’re getting saturation for parts of the sweep?

Maybe you need to attenuate the signal? Sounds like you’re getting saturation for parts of the sweep?[/quote]
Got it to work. I had to reduce the depth and the starting value of the linear value. Setting both to 63 seemed to work.
here’s the result of the experiment.

Here’s my sketch for a first modular system. Will probably take me well over a year or more to get all those modules though.

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89960

Question is - am I missing some bread and butter types of modules? I have no clue whether I have “enough” VCA’s for instance, or if the mixer module I have is going to do the job. Then again, I guess that all depends on what you want the system to do.

I’ve decided to get the Maths and the MMG first, pair them with the A4, and get the Piston Honda MKII and the kooky Gieskes module after that. It seems as though Maths and MMG covers a lot of ground, and the Piston Honda seems to be right up my alley as far as an oscillator goes.

Looking much forward to hooking my A4 up to this thing eventually. :smiley:

If it were me personally I might rather start with another sound source so you can have something to sequence melodically with the A4…maybe start with the Braids or Piston Honda along with Maths? Even just Braids/PH you could run into your A4 and use one of your synth channels to get some VCA action going…or if it’s Braids, you could send triggers/gates to the TRIG input and use its built in Env/VCA function (it’s only a couple encoder clicks away!) to sequence it with your A4. Braids was my first module and it flipped my brain inside out with how much sonic awesomeness can come from one module. You could use your four A4 CV channels, for example, as:
[ol]
[li]V/Oct pitch control[/li]
[li]Step triggers > TRIG input on Braids to control internal Env/VCA[/li]
[li]LFO, envelope, etc > TIMBRE input[/li]
[li]LFO, envelope, etc > COLOR (or FM) input[/li]
[/ol]
…and have sounds you have never imagined, all synced, sequenced, and p-lockable the way y’all Elektron folks know and love :smiley: And this would be with only ONE MODULE!

But, regardless of your taste in oscillators, I think it’d be more fulfilling to start with something that can give you totally new sounds. You could achieve a different version of the same approach with Piston Honda and a MMG or Optomix or uVCA.

Also, you may find that you don’t need the uScale, depending on your sequencing style. I had planned to get a uScale but getting an AK totally changed my modular thoughts and I think I’ll keep my plans compact and look at the modular as more of an Analog Keys ‘super expander’, or at least plan to use the AK to do most of my sequencing, making an external quantizer redundant. The uScale seems like it’d be the most fun/musical of the quantizers that I have looked into, though!

Again, depending on how you end up using things, you may have plenty or even extra VCAs.
[ul]
[li]Optomix gives you two sorta VCAs if want to use either channel as such[/li]
[li]ADSR has VCAs built into the ‘Level’ inputs so you can control the ‘depth’ of the envelopes with CV (which is a common use of a VCA for modulators)[/li]
[li]Ripples has a VCA built-in to one of its low-pass outputs, controlled by the ‘Gain’ input[/li]
[/ul]

I’m in the (admittedly small) camp that thinks a small setup which you can get to know in-depth, and experiment more intensely (and efficiently!) is more fun :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks for a great reply! I think you are right about prioritizing an oscillator/sound source first. Braids sounds mighty cool, but so does the Piston Honda. If my Blofeld gets sold, I might be able to afford Braids/Piston Honda, Maths and MMG in one go.

I have to admit a lot of this is a bit abstract for me at the moment. I’ve read and heard a lot of these modules, and I’ve seen countless demonstrations, but I don’t really get most of the things that are going on (except it usually sounds very interesting). I think I need to try it out hands on to understand it better. I don’t even have a clear idea of what exactly the A4 can do to the modules, except for sending clock, pitch and possibly some control/modulation signals?

I whole-heartedly agree with you that getting to know one small setup would be much more beneficial than having a large one. Yet I know that if I get enough money to spend on this, I will, I feel a bit like a kid in a candy store, and if you had a lot of money when you were a kid, you’d buy the whole store not thinking about the fact that you’d most likely get sick and throw up. Thankfully, I don’t earn enough to be able to buy lots of modules all the time, so “overloading” shouldn’t be a problem.

One very, very embarassing question I’ve been wanting to ask, but haven’t dared ask at Muffwiggler - I can’t plug a cable in a wrong connector, right? I mean, I know if I do a bad connection, that it won’t necessarily affect the sound, but I can’t like short circuit the system or anything? Hehehe. Also, say I have one system in a box powered by one outlet, and another system powered by another outlet, can I still do connections between the two systems? Stupid questions, I know, just needed to get them out there. :joy:

But! Looking mightily forward to digging in. :slight_smile: Hoping to order my case and the first couple of modules this week or the next.