Who’s making grime/bass/140?

Hello to all,
Just received delivery of my Digitakt a couple of days ago after months of lusting. Extremely happy with it, found it quite easy to get my head round after years of MPC use (still got my 1000).

I’ve made hip hop for years now, recently delved into the more bass orientated, sound system 140bpm stuff (don’t like saying dubstep, doesn’t mean what it used to anymore haha) encorporating a hop hop flavour into it.

There’s a lot of techno, house, ambient vids floating about, not many of this genre though…

Anyone using their DT for this?

Looks forward to hearing what others are making.

Peace

Ps. Using it along side my Subsequent37, looking forward to seeing how they get along!

2 Likes

Funny, I’m taking the opposite road ! Though I’ve been raised on a hip hop diet since childhood, I’ve spent the last decade mostly navigating the sphere of UK bass music (grime, jungle, dubstep etc.) Now, I’m trying to incorporate all these elements in my hip hop productions.

Commodo is king when it comes to bridging bass and hip hop, I find.

4 Likes

Well there u go! Using your DT to achieve this I’m assuming?

And I completely agree, Commodo is killing it, always evolving and trying to do different things. Also enjoying K-Lones stuff at the moment, check him out if u haven’t already.

I have made couple of 140 sequences on my Digitakt. I haven’t organised them into any kind of structure… very much in the classic Mala roller vibe.
But I do find the Digitakt great for getting ideas down quickly.

Great set from someone off my radar until I read this thread…

4 Likes
1 Like

Grime is being used on an ikea advert in the u.k
Animated animals selling furniture
Unsure that’s a good sign or not.

Celine Dion will be on it next.

3 Likes

I mean, it’s sixteen years since Dizzee Rascal won the Mercury Prize, so it might be a bit late to worry about grime getting mainstream attention :joy:

2 Likes

He’s on a gambling advert … it’s bonkers (it’s actually pretty bad)
His 1st album is probably my fave , none of his others got played more than once.

Though in some ways at least he hasn’t vanished into obscurity. (And certainly been massively more successful than I’ll be musically )

Little simz album was good.

1 Like

Here’s my scrap book
RYTM is the only noise source
All the samples are one hits that I made or passed from my OB6.

Took a hiatus since doing this scrap book.
Busy with work and checking our Affinity Designer. Just started my holidays from work and my plan was to finish it before the new year. Not sure if that will happen now.

Anyway, it’s all live in one take. Think I whacked one or two plugins on the stereo channel strip.

2 Likes

How goes incorporating them?

The production is so important to that slick mix of bass and grime, and it’s always so pleasantly imbalanced.

Growing up in Miami I really love how the clubs mixed hip hop and reggae tinged tracks with electro, add in my time in goth/industrial clubs and a tinge of trip hop and it’s total catnip, i’m in heaven.

There’s a video on YT of Mumdance showing how he used the Octatrack for his Twists & Turns mixtape. Its one of those Fact magazine ones. I’m too lazy to look it up today. Think he had a 909 running into it and was using it for effects and transitions mostly.