Who is using Overbridge live on stage?

I want to use OB in conjunction with my Digitone live on stage using Ableton Live 11. So far so good, in general everything works quiet well. I can record midi clips (my main purpose) and on the OB channel I get my audio signal from the DN.

But once I use the DN encoders or even worse: once I use Push to control the DN I get a weird kind of Midi “delay”. Everything is sluggish and sometimes I even get drastic parameter jumps. Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks,
L.

1 Like

yes i have experienced similiar. I solved the issue by:

1: Installing a dedicated pci express card with usb ports
2: Disabaling numerous microsoft processes that were creating processor spikes
3: Avoiding the use of the 4 pole filter on the dn.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am using a Macbook Pro, so no choice to install such a card. And: No way I can use the DN without it’s 4 pole filter :slight_smile:

i would try to remove the 4 pole filter usage just to test.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been shown the 4 pole is the culprit. You can still use the filter just not that filter type. Otherwise yeah, UI slow down can occur. Elektron know about it, not sure why it doesn’t get fixed.

2 Likes

It’s the 4 pole filter indeed! Well, that is strange…

Yet my general question from the topic remains unanswered: Anyone use OB (Audio) in a live-set situation (on a Mac)?
I don’t have enough inputs on my audio interface and want to route all my Elektrons into Ableton as an FX Mixer…
Don’t know if I am brave enough yet to test this setup on my next tour…

would love to if Elektron ever made it DAW-free

2 Likes

What’s the application for overbridge in a performance setting without a DAW? Multitrack recording?

(The DT has software that would enable this - not the DN?)

at least with my Digitone Keys, there are separate stereo outs for each of the four tracks BUT because of the way Digitone applies FX to a given track, only the raw (un-FXd) signal gets routed to the separates. with DAW-less Overbridge, I could send each track to a class-compliant mixer with FX as it exists inside the Digitone (at least that’s my understanding of what gets output to the DAW in Overbridge multitracking)

1 Like

I have been using my Syntakt (12-track) with Overbridge and an Ableton performance template. The template has 8 tracks, which fits well with controllers such as Push2 and LaunchControl XL. I have four tracks mixed down to a Drum Bus, another couple of tracks mixed to one for percussion, one for bass, etc.

I can have dedicated compression for the drums, proper side chaining for the bass and other sounds. I can use a wide range of DAW effects. I can control levels of the 8 tracks with the LaunchControl’s faders.

It’s really cool and fun. Now the template is set up, it is very fast to get from loop to finished. Oh and of course multitrack recording is handy as you say.

3 Likes

The bit that confounded me was “without a DAW.”

Because the effects are “send”, they each have their own stereo output that is independent of the voice. If you send two voices to the chorus, you can’t separate them out again, even with Overbridge.

It confounded me so hard I completely missed that part!

which . . . why even add internal FX on a four-track multitimbral synth if the only way you’ll ever be able to output them is two-channel stereo? especially for Keys users there’s basically no point to ever adding any of the internal FX to any voice if you want/need to use the four separate track stereo outs

Some people want a self-contained box with FX, and are happy with just the main stereo out. It works well for them.

You are right that if you use individual track outs, you probably don’t want to use the internal FX. But then, the reason someone might use the individual outs is probably because they want to send them through external fx anyway.

It’s just the nature of having send FX, unfortunately. Otherwise Elektron would’ve had to add seperate FX to every track, and that is a big change in how the machine works, and might be too much processing for the CPU to handle.

At the very least, having send effects in the box means you can hear what they sound like when you’re not using the multi-track outputs.

That said, the real explanation is more that anything that can host the Overbridge VST can presumably host other VST’s. The effects in the DN are fine but easily replaced. The only thing you lose is P-locks on send amounts. (Possibly Elektron could implement the MIDI to capture all P-locks. For all I know, that could already be true.)

In the case of a digital mixer receiving audio over USB from the DN, it’s not hosting the Overbridge VST. I’m not sure how that works; I’m guessing it treats the DN as a class-compliant USB audio interface. If that mixer doesn’t have sends (or you don’t have the gear to take advantage of them), then yes, that may be a less attractive option.

But… some people are happy to plug the stereo outs of the DN into the DT. The fact that you can get separate, dry audio outputs for the different voices doesn’t mean that there aren’t also use cases for the full stereo mix.

1 Like