Who is doing interesting stuff with two Octatracks?

Dapayk have great stuff is is channel

1 Like

Oh dear. I might need an Octatrackā€™s Anonymous meeting. :grimacing:
Suddenly filling the urge to just go all in on 2 OT + Typhon for live work.

Played around with moving some 6 track Model Samples content over to the OT today, tunes Iā€™ve made on MS by itself, and itā€™s been fun reimagining that content as individual tracks inside the OT, with OT FX and scenes focused on individual tracks.

Additionally I do a good bit of neighbor routing when I use the OT by itself to make tunes, so starting to see the cumulative benefits of offloading my master track processing, mixing + neighbor FX for external inputs, and looping to a second OT.

In an effort to not run out of sample slots in my project, Iā€™m actually using Ableton to put all the stems from a single MS tune into one static stereo .wav, and then load the same, single .wav across all tracks in OT, and differentiate them with the start parameter.
So, itā€™s a process, getting the MS content multi-tracked into OT.
But Iā€™m kind of a sucker for unique artistic processes, and this one might be worth it. :thinking:

Iā€™m kinda surprised the OT can stream 6 to 8 audio tracks that are all referencing the same .wav but from different start points, without glitching.

7 Likes

One can only dream. Itā€™s one of my goals. Iā€™d love easily mix projects 3 years ago with what I doing nowā€¦ do it

1 Like

Oh mixer in the middle would be nice too

Ironically, in that regard, a 2nd OT would simplify things for me, and I wouldnā€™t need a mixer. I have my Twister for EQing transition loop and live input too, which helps.
Plus I like EQ and Levels on the fader toooo much when I set up wild FX scenes. :wink:
Itā€™s such a nice feature to have.

2 Likes

Good point. Itā€™s just a dream for me until I find an mk1 at the right price.

Make sure you are aware of the issues with two Octatracks :expressionless:

Primary is no ability to send/receive midi with Parts. And a number of other midi bugs.

Depends on how you want to be set up etc.

4 Likes

Good tips and valuable info!
Iā€™d only need to send MIDI clock sync from one to the other, fortunately.

2 Likes

You mean if you switch parts the midi tracks donā€™t change or something?

Same here.
I have a MK1 that has the textured paint. So Iā€™ll have to find the same, hopefully from an original owner in excellent condition. Iā€™d go nuts having two that werenā€™t somewhat identical.

1 Like
2 Likes

In that case you should be fine. But obviously want to only record on the Master.

2 Likes

With Flex, for sure, amazing things possible!
I have my friendā€™s MS at home, but I have so much things to test with OT before I use it again (I think I already tried the most insteresting things of MS during 1st lockdown, and Probability was probably the best)

I expect it with Flex. But in this instance I am using Static :open_mouth:
Hence my surprise.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of a second OT ever since I got my first one lolā€¦this thread is good inspiration and good encouragementā€¦I thought I was the only one being a bit greedy thereā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks to my Mrs getting me the AE for Xmas Iā€™m really looking forward to trying 2x OT again.
I have tried 2x twice before but was using OT in different ways, and really that is the beauty of the OT, that it can be used in so many different ways.
Iā€™m quite interested to try using 1 with tons of loops and patterns and the other purely as a mixer/mangler/effector.
Also I might have 2 cards with synchronous projects shared across the pair, for larger projects, and possibly 1 OT sequencing the other, which is something I never tried before.

12 Likes

As someone who recently owned two; it was really cool but I realised it actually has its limitations so flipped my second for a A4. While the setup was super flexible I gradually became aware of two things.
First, since I wanted them to be setup in different ways it actually helped me learn how to really dig down in the OTā€™s settings and discovered I could do a lot with just the one.
Second i realised that, for me anyway, I missed something musically that could give me both melody and harmony. As great and flexible as OT is, sample mangling only gets you so far in terms of melody and harmony.

Thatā€™s my two cents anyway. Maybe Iā€™d consider it again if OT could utilise the cycle waveforms that DT does to create synthesis then that plus the new midi stuff would be cool but otherwise one OT is plenty.

4 Likes

That is where being able to change / sync Parts would come in really handyā€¦ otherwise Parts become an even bigger pain to work with. Or you stick with one part every four patterns etc.

PS: There are some midi bugs that become apparent when trying to use / sync two Octatracks.

3 Likes

Examples?

1 Like

IMHO thatā€™s not really that special regarding parts. On the AR/A4 you also canā€™t change kits remotely, isnā€™t it?

1 Like