Who is doing interesting stuff with two Octatracks?

A good tip I picked up on here for templates is using a bank like an instrument. You can set up each of the 4 parts as a different drum machine for example on bank P or whatever and then just sample into record buffers, save assign and organise from bank A. Makes it easier to just arrange the four bar loops. Might give this one a go with a couple of banks set up with waveforms from that software Simon just released, it’d be a bit like having some internal synth patches in the octatrack. as far as midi templates though when I send midi channel 1 out of OT it’ll just automatically run through whatever track is focused in maschine so I never have to worry about channels etc unless I feel like it

2 Likes

As crazy as it sounds, I’ve not even begun to explore parts yet!
Banks and arranger are all down, but parts is the next thing on my list!

2 Likes

@Dataline’s OT mkII video on bandcamp taught me some really cool tips about ‘parts.’

I recommend it.

3 Likes

Hold up- a bandcamp video?!!

And ooh awesome, I shall take a look at this in the morning.

Yes, well worth the price.

2 Likes

If you’ve used banks you’ve used parts, just only part one of each bank. When you switch banks and get to set up the track machines and edit pages settings again, that’s a different part. You get 4 per each bank, so you have 3 more to play with and assign to patterns in each bank instead of just using the one you’ve used for all 16 patterns. Parts can also be saved so you can mess with all the settings and reload them…

1 Like

Woah. I think I’ve just had a glimpse of some of the possibilities. So each bank has a further three parts 16 x3, with 16 patterns in each?

Your sentence is confusing :wink: so to be clear: Each bank has 4 parts, and 16 patterns. So: 16 patterns in each bank.
Patterns are not in parts. Each pattern is linked to one of the 4 available parts.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry its the way I worded it. The further three, was including the initial one. :grinning:

1 Like

On the main page of a pattern, say you’re on A01. It will say next to it P1 meaning part 1 is assigned to it. If you changed to part 2 it would be basically a completely blank slate, all your tracks and FX etc would be as if you just started a new project. The samples loaded into your slots are the only thing that remains the same but you can completely change how they’re assigned. So say A01,02,03 and 04 are all set on part 1 and you bore of those sounds you can set your next pattern to part 2 and it’s like a fresh machine.

You could copy part 1 and paste it onto part 2 and tweak and change as much as you want without fear of messing up what you’ve already done, and they keep a saved state too meaning if you save it and mess it up completely you press func+reload the whole part will revert to its saved state. Be careful with this though cause if you do a lot of work and forget to save your part then accidentally press reload you could wipe back to whatever point you saved at.

I tend to set 4 patterns to each part even if I don’t use all the patterns for the sake of organisation. With that plus p-locks and probability trigs you can get a whole lot of music out of 4 patterns

2 Likes

Since we’re talking about parts it’s also worth mentioning that the OT autosave only works on the most recently saved part, for some insane reason. If you edit more than one part and switch off the machine without saving, you’ll lost work. So remember to save your parts manually!

6 Likes

OT should autosave everything and all save functions are just used if you want a state to be able to get back to. I don’t save parts that often and leave multiple parts modified when I power off, they are the same when I power back on… On Rytm however only the active kit retains changes after power cycle. :thinking:

1 Like

Who is doing interesting stuff with two Octatracks?

Makaton is:

2 Likes

Pretty sure Phil Moffa uses two in his live sets.

I’m fixing to this year.

16 Likes

That is dreamy

Slurp… beautiful

Stimming does a great video detailing his setup from above. Anyone got an extra grand laying round for an OCT? Maybe you could get away with a DGKT instead of two OCTS?

6 Likes
6 Likes

That is an awesome setup