White noise on audio and MIDI, is it normal?

I insert a TR-6S on stereo audio channels into the Digitone. Unfortunately, there is some noticeable white noise in the background (L & R volume of external audio from 70 to 100).
Also, strangely, there is the same white noise with the MIDI tracks when their volume is up… even when no MIDI is entered in the device! Is it normal?

(note that it is of no consequence ultimately, since I dispatch everything independently in the mixer for recording. But still, when I’m working on the composition, it’s more practical to have the drum-box entered into the Digitone).

Also… I LOVE my Digitone :blue_heart:

Yes, the same here.
Just wanted to search for a similar topic, but somehow my question is not answered correctly.
Have you been able to find out anything in the meantime?
My Volume Knob on the Digitone creates noise when turning, but most importantly it also comes from the external inputs.
I turned it down to about 30 to reduce that.
This also happens with different cables.

What is the output level of the device you’re plugging into the Digitone set to? As a rule of thumb you want to get the hottest signal coming out if that device then control its level into the Digitone with the input level controls. It’s all about signal to noise ratio. You also mention it differs with different input cables. This could be bad cables but it could also be a symptom of trying to feed the DN with too low a signal thus amplifying any noise on its input. Don’t discount ground loops ether. They’d normally present as a hum rather than white noise but it’s not impossible. So as long and whatever you’re plugging in doesn’t distort on max level (of its own output) start there with the DN input level low and increase it until you’ve got the level you want coming in. Does whatever you’re plugging in have a clean output in the first place? Or is there noise on its own output? Obv if there is then you’ll hear it on the DN inputs. Some gear can have pretty noisy outputs depending what it is

1 Like

I remember I solved it soon after writing this. Unfortunately, it was more than a year ago and I don’t remember what was the origin of the problem (I’ll update as soon as (if) I remember). But I do remember the cause of the noise was very simple, and not hardware related. Like having something “on” that should have been “off”, or something like that. (Sorry I can’t be more helpful right now.) Something that made me go “duh! So, that was just that…”
Sorry again to be of no better help…