White noise hi-hats with M:Cycles?

Hello,

I decided to buy a Model:Cycles but I have a doubt:

from what I heard, there’s no “white noise” preset for making “classic” hi-hats sounds.
(and the “Metal” machine doesn’t sound very good to my ears).

I am interested in the M:C for making minimalistic FM-ish beats and the only hi-hat sound I’m looking after is the classic white-noisey one

(exempli gratia: exactly the one you can heard in the second half of this song: Twist - YouTube).

I’m talking about something like the noise machine from the AR: is it possible to have a real white noise preset in the M:C?

Thank you

1 Like

No such thing with the M:C and it’s notoriously difficult to get good high-pitched hi-hat with it, the Metal machine being no match for such sounds. This is how I approximate it with mine:

1. use the tone machine
  2. put the highest possible note on your trig
  3. assign the LFO to the pitch
  4. use a very high LFO frequency (1k/2k)
  5. play with the LFO fade and reset
3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. This is what I was afraid of…
I think I will pass on the M:C then. An FM groovebox without white-noisey hi-hats :confused:

1 Like

Previously on Elektronauts:

Thanks. So, just workarounds. :confused:

as an example, the first minutes of this jam is all M:C:

Not white noise per se, but still high enough for my needs.

1 Like

actually you can get noise with some settings, but you would need filtering to use it as hi-hat, and the M:C has no filter of any kind.

1 Like

Thanks. The initial hats are not good enough for my ears – very nice jam though.

I saw that previous thread: not answering the question.

yup, I understand that. Actually that’s part of my motivation for buying an Erica Synth LXR-02. Maybe you can look this one. It’s a bit more pricey but it does it very well. Also, you could get a model:samples and load any basic noise/waveform you want in it.

Elektron gear performs best when using “workarounds”. It’s like their machines were designed to be misused.

5 Likes

Model:Cycles Tips & Tricks Thread - #166 by clickclack777 with a shorter decay?

3 Likes

I looked for the LXR-02 too, before, but then I would miss the Elektron sequencer (that I love). I already have a M:S but with samples I miss the opportunity to “sculpt” the sound. My idea was to sell the M:S then to buy a M:C. But I will maybe consider to keep both.

Why not! :slight_smile: But sometimes workarounds don’t sound “right”, and need a lot of tweaking (why buy a very immediate machine like the M:C if it’s to lose immediacy?).

Sounds great! Thank you very much.

I will post my noise hihat preset this evening. It’s really close. You don’t necessarily need filtering. A short decay reads as a workable hat.

But I agree. Give us a noise machine and a clap machine.

1 Like

I think one thing people miss with the Metal engine is that the Pitch knob (which is more or less universal…) doesn’t encompass the whole possible range of the engines. If you change the Track Note to something much higher you’ll get a whole new range of timbres out of it due to aliasing etc, which is very useful for these kind of sounds.

You can get ‘classic’ FM noise (which is pretty far from white noise!) out of the Tone engine though.

18 Likes

I kind of scratch my head at that. Having to use the tone machine to mimic white noise seems like a weird place to put it.

1 Like

This is why it s so useful to connect a midi keyboard to the M:C: much easier to explore the whole range. The change in timbres is often dramatic across the pitch range. Far from a linear progression!

2 Likes

yes i tried all the tricks here but it is not satisfying to create the high pitched hithat i’m looking for, the metal engine is good to make fancy cymbals and crash, but i think this Model:Cycles really deserves a dedicated HitHat machine as there is a dedicated, and so good, Kick and Snare machine, (and perhaps a Clap one too…) … i mean that would be kind of basic feature for a gear i found in the Drums Machine section of the shop…

once again blowing my mind, i’ll have to try that trick with my hats now