Which Musician, Writer, Artist's Death has affected you most?

Two stand out for me:

Mary Hansen from Stereolab affected me more than I would have ever anticipated. What a massive loss and the band was never the same after.

More recently, Anthony Bourdain’s departure from this mortal coil was heartbreaking.

9 Likes

Chris Cornell affected me quite a bit. After all of the other grunge rockers had died by their own hand one way or another, he had seemed to escape the vein of self-destruction that plagued that generation…until he didn’t. Soundgarden was really quite an amazing group, Audioslave had some proper bangers, and even a bunch of his solo stuff was outstanding. The shows I saw him in he laid it all out there. Still bummed he’s gone.

Talk about vulnerability…the video for Fell on Black Days is incredible…live take and he just pours it out.

6 Likes

Prince. :sob: :broken_heart:

3 Likes

I have a couple of his records. I missed this in the news. Thanks for sharing, sad as it is.

3 Likes

I was gonna say… Norm’s was a heavy-hitter. Probably the one that made me the saddest since Bowie

2 Likes

Sorry but im still thinking of Vangelis to think straight.

It’s certainly sad when an artist with so much talent dies young.

2 Likes

Trish Keenan of Broadcast.

7 Likes

Shit, not even 27!
Really love this music. Thank you for the discovery.

And yeah, RIP Trish Keenan…

4 Likes

Mac Miller and Elliott Smith. When Elliott passed away, I was in tears the whole day. I remember calling my parents sobbing and them being confused that I was so upset about someone I didn’t even know personally. Mac also died way, way too young. He exuded life and positivity; still sad that he’s gone.

5 Likes

Talking about 27, Kurt Cobain was quite a shock as well.

94, I had left my “dead musician with moustaches” period and was eager to leave my parent’s house…
Nevermind felt so cathartic!
I’ve missed Nirvana at Transmusicales in Rennes from a couple years… I would have loved to watch them.

1 Like

i’ll have to go with Bowie, although i do get the same feeling everytime a musician that has played an important role in music passes away: there won’t be any more music coming from that artist anymore, even if i’m not a fan, it does saddens me anyway.
it’s life’s path though and we’ve to be happy knowing they left a trace

1 Like

Bowie. I remember waking up to friends consoling me via text. Everyone around me knows just how important Bowie is in my life. He’s always felt more like a spiritual figure to me. I woke to the news feeling unreal and than balled my eyes out to Hunky Dory.

4 Likes

Those are two of my favorites comedians. Especially Norm, he was a true GOAT.

2 Likes

“to everyone who sells me drugs, dont mix it with that bullshit, im hoping not to join the 27 club”

2 Likes
  • Kurt Cobain (1994)
  • Amy Winehouse (2011) (still sad when thinking about it)

But also (affected me when I learned story and circumstances):

• Ian Curtis
  • Glenn Gould

Shouldn’t dive too deep in here.

Norm was the GOAT.

2 Likes

Long time lurker, first post… hello to you all!!

Douglas Adams, Iain M Banks and the mighty, mighty Richard H Kirk…

Peace to you all…

4 Likes

Leonard Cohen hit hard for me. It felt like family. His last album coincided with the dead of my father, who was also a big fan, and me wanting him to hear it, was part of our last conversation, so that’s a heavy record for me.

9 Likes

Adam Schlesinger - power pop genius songwriter and unfortunate proof that covid wasn’t messing around

1 Like