Which monophonic synth would you pair with DT and DN?

I’m currently looking into Dreadbox NYX but I’m curious to know what you think. If there may be some options I have overlooked.

Cheapest solution: load single cycle waveforms to your DT. If that doesn’t cut it: SH01a, Sub37, Monologue, Shruthi, TB03. Dreadbox Erebus. Take your pick. Or maybe let us know what you’re looking for.

4 Likes

Monologue. Sounds great, good fun, interesting sequencer, and pretty good keys for playing your DN.

9 Likes

Id suggest something that has keys so that you have something that can also control the DT/DN for note input. Monologue, Bass station, Sub Phatty, SE-02 with the keyboard.

I used to use a Waldorf Pulse 2. That’s a pretty nice synth for leads and the bass can get into that low, rumble range.

1 Like

The little Boutique keyboard dock is nice to enter notes into a sequencer, and it’s better than nothing, but it’s way below what you get on the other options mentioned.

I picked up a monologue yesterday locally for £125. It sounds great and is more flexible than it looks at first glance. Was originally gonna sell it on at a profit but I might actually keep it.

Good point. I would like something that is everything the A4 isn’t. I don’t mean that in a way to talk bad about the A4, I love it. But I need something that just sounds very good (good filters, possibly good internal fx) and I don’t need a fancy sequencer. Does that make sense? I wouldn’t mind if it’s not much bigger than the DT either.

It seems sweet indeed. The D-05 too. What about the NYX, though? Thoughts on it?

Thanks for your answer. Is it like a Minilogue but mono or does it sound better?

@Cepheid That’s interesting. The size is appealing too. Just like the Slim Phatty. Why did you use to use it and not anymore if I may ask?

Behringer Neutron.

1 Like

The one thing that really got my juices flowing about the Nyx was the reverb. I don’t have one, mind you. The Monologue indeed is a great deal. It can sound really nasty.

I had purchased the Digitone and was short on funds from the purchase, so I had to sell some gear. The Pulse 2 was put on the chopping block as I was using it for bass mostly and I have other synths that can do bass well. Though I did delve into it’s arpeggiator and was using it for some gnarly leads before I sold it and it was great fun!

The Pulse 2 Has a killer sound, deep arpeggiator, nice analog filter, but I truly wanted something with more knobs. I was also experiencing some midi issues with it and I was getting a lot of stuck notes, but that was more an issue with how I had it setup. It wasn’t defective or anything. I currently purchased a Novation BS II to replace it and am excited to see how it differs.

3 Likes

0Coast. It’ll give you a much different sound than your DN and it will be great sample fodder for the DT.

3 Likes

Toraiz AS-1.

1 Like

My vote always goes to the Shruthi.
No FX though… And no keys - but amazing sound, smallest foot print, presets, cc control, nice mod matrix…
I actually had an Analog Four for a while and was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t make deep, smooth bass tones as easy as with the Shruthi.
I actually made a thread about it not so long ago, called “the glory of Shruthi’s bass” or something like that:nerd_face:

3 Likes

In my case I opted for a TB-03 for the acidic sound.
I’m not an analog purist so I don’t care if it isn’t a perfect clone of the 303, but I wanted that kind of sound ready to go, especially the slides, that the Digitone cannot do without long programming.

3 Likes

Another vote for Monologue: Great sound, f*cking great sequencer, great keybed, great look, battery-operated :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Monostation

AS-1 forever

1 Like