Which monitors do you use?

Event TR8s and Equator Audio D5s.

The Event’s are great sounding, but maybe not the most accurate. I’ve had them for a very long time, so I know them well enough to mix on them. They put out a lot of bass, so in a small room, I have to move around a bit to hear what’s actually happening. Again, I think my room has a lot to do with it, but I always have to check against something else with these.

The Equator’s are amazing. They do not sound good, but have a very detailed mid-range. Very accurate, very flat, super great stereo imaging. They don’t handle a ton of volume, though, so mixing somewhat quietly is needed. That being said, it’s a bit like the NS10 thinking. If your mix sounds good on them, it will sound good anywhere. Definitely one of the better monitors I’ve used, especially at the price point.

genelec 8020s.

Id buy nicer ones but I dont really have a dedicated mixing environment. Iv used others but these at the time were the only thing on the market that worked well as a portable solution, this really has changed.

Gonna date myself here, but I’m using the old biamped Event PS-8s I’ve had for years. Decent flat response though most of the range, bass a little lacking and undefined. My untreated room may have a lot to do with that. I added a Subpac S2, which has helped me clean up my low end immensely. Listening to regular music on these monitors is meh, which could be seen as a good thing or a bad thing, I guess.

Can I join the club? Yamaha HS8W.

Is anyone using presonus sceptre s6’s?

I have the KRK 8 aswell, but i think the Yamaha HS8 are a lot better, i would also prefer JBL or Genelec, i am somewhat dissatisfied with the overall sound, its not defined enough. –

Positive thing is, if you can make it sound good on them, it will be good on other peoples system also. As a reference probably not too bad.

I use good and cheap headphones (both sennheisers) for mixing, to have different hearing environments,

Yamaha hs5s. Like them a lot but if I could’ve afforded it I would’ve gone with the Adams with a sub, but that was more than twice the price.

PMC TwoTwo monitors.
Very expensive but the best monitors I’ve ever used.

I’m NOT using what some call, “studio monitors”.
I’m using some B&W 685 bookshelf speakers, meant for home audio.
My office/studio is small…@ 10’ x 15’.
B&W 685…87db sensetivity, 52hz bottom end, @8 ohms.
I was using an HSU subwoofer, but removed it for another use…and I did not feel It was necessary after removal…but it did add that deep bass down to around 25-30hz >>> that surely annoyed my neighbors.
I also had a home-built 24db crossover for that setup, set at a 60hz crossover point.
This allowed the stereo speakers stop at near 60hz, and the 8" powered subwoofer pickup the remaining bottom end with some “cross over”…hence the term.

I feel these speakers are excellent for their size and price, though I need an external main stereo amp.

2 Likes

FOCAL CMS50 + Focal CMS SUB

NB : for Nomade Musician it’s perfect they are very rock solid with the bag and all 4 metal grids… a friend of mine cat’s kill my Dynaudio BM6 so now i’m very focus on the protection now and don’t lend my gear anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Neumann kh-120s and a mono avantone - happy with em :slight_smile:

1 Like

ADAM A8X - GENELEC 8030 - FLUID FX8

I like the Adam, fair in the low and hi spectrum, but it is too pleasant in the mid, leaving me with a feeling that it lacks purpose there.
Better for that reason the Genelec even if good to use with lower volume.
Fluid FX8 are speakers I bought for €340/pair and was a bet…good review on SoS but I knew I was going towards a shitty one, but I needed a shitty speaker (compared to the other two I have) and infact it is useful for lo-mid and center mids, even if they tend to amplify a bit the 100-200Hz range and become sizzly at 8000-9000Hz

1 Like

NS10s. My room is not treated and I find them the most controlled in such environment.

1 Like

PMC TwoTwo

1 Like

Focal Alpha 65

2 Likes

JBL mpro mp415’s and a 15 inch powered sub (ebony).
They have surprisingly good top end for a foldback wedge.
And btw, I like my music loud ', )

1 Like

I have them on my later wishlist. Can you describe the sound please? Transparency?

1 Like

I prefer the Focal CMS 50 to the Dynaudio BM6A for instance… (same with Rockit, Adam, Tannoy which i have by the past also) I can mixing on those CMS for quite a long time without “ear fatigue” … it’s very well built and rock solid.

If no SUB is programmed in the order i go CMS 65 rather than CMS 50.
CMS 50 : 55 Hz - 28 kHz / SPL 107 dB / BASS AMP 80 Watts RMS : Tweeter 50 Watts RMS
CMS 65 : 45 Hz - 28 kHz / SPL 112 dB / BASS AMP 100 Watts RMS : Tweeter 60 Watts RMS

To me there’s very transparent. I really love my monitors.

The only one more pricey i would like to try is Focal Twin and Event Opal

1 Like

Munro Egg 150. Had them for almost 2 years

1 Like

KRK Rokit 4 G3 as modular/jam monitor.
KRK Rokit 10-3 RPG2 as main mix.
Avantone mixcube for mono/ balance check
AKG S240 studio ears

1 Like