Which monitors do you use?

Genelec 8030a & KRK RP10s in mix room.

20 year old Tannoy 6.5 in composition room, about to get replaced with JBL LSR308

2 Likes

Event 2030

2 Likes

I upgraded to the Genelec M030 this summer. They are great for the price and especially great for my awful untreated room. I am still learning them but my mixes have improved alot with just the change. There is a bit of lacking bottom end that I’m not sure how to overcome. I’m hoping it comes with getting more familiar with them. I had behringer truth b2031a which are surprisingly good value but my bottom end was a bit hyped and my mixes were always mushy but I’m not sure if they were the problem or my room?

1 Like

Focal Alpha 80 with GIK Soffit traps behind them.

Really great for the price. Had a pair of Behringer truths with a sub before, the Alphas eat em for breakfast.

1 Like

IPod dock!

Temporarily staying with a family member, so monitors + interface are packed away for the time being. Also have DT770 headphones…

1 Like

Genelec 8040 + the small Genelec subwoofer

2 Likes

Mackie hr824. My ears are tuned to this monitors for quite a while now.

2 Likes

Yamaha HS8 - they’re my first pair of monitors so dunno how they stack up against others but thoroughly enjoy having them. Feel like they are very good for the small price tag. They’re also my speakers for listening to music / watching movies etc

3 Likes

Actually YAMAHA MSP5 but I’m considering a replacement with Focal CMS40 or 50.
Problem is that I really love MSP5 but I need something good but less heavy to carry around.

2 Likes

My experience with monitors is that they depend so much on the room they’re sitting in…
I’ve owned and used a boat load of monitors over the years.
I also tend to track on different speakers to what I would mix on… I’ll always tend to gravitate to the “bigs” for tracking and then the near fields for mixing…

I worked in a great sounding room on a set of Adam S3xH’s and fell in love with them, so much so I bought a set, bought em home to my piss poor little mix room and was instantly like WTF happened to all the bottom end… A classic case of speaker being way to big for the room I was in… They cost me so much though that I was way to proud to get rid of them, so I persevered for a couple of years with them and mixed the bottom end from the kitchen… …Still a cracking monitor though, just not in that room.
Ns10’s for me just kind of work, maybe cause they’ve been in a bunch of rooms I’ve used over the years and you just get used to “that” sound.
Having said that they can also vary wildly depending on which power amp is being used… Those little Munro Eggs are kind of similar in translation.

I guess I’ve learned monitors are more about what the make me do how they interact in the space they sit…

Not sure of that was helpful or not, but you have to listen said monitors in the room they’ll living and check em out first, this is a must IMO.

3 Likes

Presonus Sceptre S6, as well as a Subpac S2 for low end monitoring. I really love this setup. Almost went for the S8s, but the S6 are better for the size of my room and the Subpac is more accurate for low end monitoring in my experience.

1 Like

Yamaha MSP5 and a Tannoy sub. Clear and tight. Want to switch to MSP7 someday and lose the sub.

1 Like

How much was your Subpac?

Genelec 8040s

2 Likes

$379…and I’ve just noticed that the price is now reduced to $299. Dammit.

1 Like

Yamaha HS7 's , preferred them over 8’s weirdly… and Senheiser HD25’s .

1 Like

Adam A5X and Adam Sub7.

I wouldn’t recommend using the A5X without the sub, they have very little low-range reproduction ability. They sounds great with the Sub7 though.

The controls on Sub7 make it pretty easy to balance the bass out too.

It also has motorized knobs that you can control with a remote. How cool is that?

2 Likes

KRK Rockit 5" with the KRK 10" sub. The 5"s are a lot happier now that I got them a sub.

They are really quite a dark sounding monitor. I have buddies with those Adam A7s and I wish I had those with the Adam sub, but my rockits keep taking me to the moon, so I’m good for now

I’ve got Adam A8X’s also! Popular on here ay!? They overwhelmed me at first but after taking things OTB I have seen great results. My room is untreated as of yet. Sad face.

I also use NS-10s with a Yamaha P2500S amp. Absolutely no bass heard from any of my productions. All other music comes through though. They’ve helped me learn about production.

Sennheiser HD750’s for the late night. Open backs are the way forward!!! :slight_smile:

This is a seriously punching little system, great combo!