Which monitors do you use?

How do they compare? I’ve looked at the Focal Shapes, but they’re a bit more pricey than I think I’ll end up going. Not a big fan a Genelecs, although the new coaxial design ones seem cool.

The Alpha 65’s are very good for the money. I originally heard them in a shop in Tottenham Court Road and was amazed at the bottom end they had, very nice and not boomy at all, could be forgiven for thinking there was a sub in the room.
I think I paid around £450 for the pair a few years ago.

2 Likes

Pair of old event opals

1 Like

Still using my JBL LSR305’s the last few years. Probably going to add the matching sub into the studio this winter.

1 Like

@sigint Yeah I have used lsr305 for a few years too. I like em! I have some pretty flat headphones and they don’t sound too different from the monitors. They get really good reviews still so it seems.

1 Like

Mid 2000s : Event 20/20 Biamped
2005-2015: Alesis M1 Active MKII
2015-2018: Yamaha MSP5 Studio + Tannoy Sub
2018-present: Yamaha MSP10

and the MSP10s ROCK! Do yourself a favor and upgrade from the Yamaha HS series

Adam S3H. Maybe one of the best purchases in my studio so far.

Still on an old pair of original Mackie 624s. …but also use a few other solutions for different listening environments.

Am considering swapping them out at some point, but other priorities…

I use Kali Audio LP-6s. Nice and tight bass response, good separation, good sound stage, overall a great offering, especially at (but not only because of) that price point.

They’ve gotten some really good press. Do you notice any hiss from them? I’ve heard that is the biggest complaint.

Neumann kh120a

1 Like

Genelec 8010’s with Genelec 7040A Subwoofer.

I got the 8010’s when I was living in an apartment so I could mix without as much bass to bother the neighbors and then when I bought a house I added the 7040A Subwoofer.

GEN 8010LSE STPAK-Large

9 Likes

KRK6, but mostly use headphones as I play when my fam sleeps.

Will repurpose them next year and have Genelecs 8010s.

1 Like

Yes, really negligible though, it’s less noticeable than it was on my JBL LSR305s.

They had some manufacturing issues at first (the first set I got was totally shot), but Kali Audio were super quick to replace my speakers with a working pair at no cost or hassle to me.

1 Like

I have Adam A7X… Decided that I should get the matching Sub 10 MK2 to go along with it. My mistake was that I didn’t know that this sub is HUGE. Is it possible to adjust my monitors and sub to the acoustics of my room? I feel my room is small for them…

you need to try several different positions in order to determine best placement for sub. Try to keep the sub at really low volume at first, if you’ve not had subs earlier you might feel the urge to overdo the sub level :tongue:

2 Likes

APS Klasik with Temblor T10 (Presonus Sub)

@mar.beso
How do you like this sub?
I have it paired with Yamaha MSP-5.
At low volume, it is quite difficult to adjust.

Well, I couldn´t turn the level up neither. The T10 has a lot of power and my studio is not such big sized. The gain knob is about 5-10%.

But I like that the sub can go into very low frequency range, then the variable low pass filter option as well as the footswitch.

Beside this I´ve installed HOFA basstraps and GIK Tri Traps in the corners. Behind the sub is a GIK monster bass trap. HOFA is really good in absorbing low end.

All measured with REW. Sonarworks is also running.

But honestly, mixing without a sub is a lot better, also APS Klasik have very good low end response, better than KH120. And I only use the sub when really needed or just for fun.

1 Like

My MSP-5 indeed lack a bit of low end…
Furthermore at the moment I am set up in my living room which is quite big. Therefore the Yamaha feel the need of a sub.
I am not going to bother with bass traps at the moment since I am mainly working with headphones.