Which monitors do you use?

JBL. just the 5 inch ones… no huge sub bass speakers… not through lack of cash just personal pref. got my saffire sc set on nearly zero on the volume and still blasting - lovely warm quality sound… the JBLs are great for this… i dont believe in padding a room out too much or prepping it all like a lab as no one that hears your music will have that same room… best to be as true to normal life as possible in my experience … keeping things as mono as possible and creating depth with eq positions rather than swamping everything in stereo mush… i then take my mix to an mp3 player and go for a walk with the track mastered and a reference track and see whats happened…

1 Like

Still trying to find a good deal on used focal alpha 65s. Is there anything out there as good for the price? Need front ported, used is fine.

Focal Alpha 65’s :wink:

4 Likes

Just picked up some Focal Shape 50s. They sound great so far. Jamming Rush “Moving Pictures” now and some other gems I know pretty well from being obsessed for so long…Van Halen, Public Enemy, etc.

I’m pumped!

1 Like

Pair of Focal Solo Be6 with the Sub6 - was about US$4400 total, eesh.

Pair of Focal Twin6 Be’s/Emes Pink/Focal CMS 40 with KRK PR10s Sub

1 Like

Adam A7X + Sub10Mk2 and Geneleg 1029A + Sub (1031???)

The Genelegs are my first ever studio monitors. Still using them since around 15 years. Really like the sound but sweet spot is really small. Just moving the head around some cm will change the frequency response you can hear. The sub is good too, but has not that much power … so with an 808 bass drum it often goes “bbbrrrr bbrrr”

3 years ago I also went with the Adam A7x
So yesterday I added the Sub10 Mk2 to the Adams. I wrote an Email to Adam Audio and they recommended the Sub10 for the A7x. So well, I bought. In the studio it feels much much overpowered for the A7x honestly. The “0db” position is at 12 o´clock. Even when running the sub volume around 9 o´clock the bass is earthshaking and I can´t really listen at proper listening levels :smiley: the bass feels acurrate and my trousers are flattering … but hey.

Would be nice to have some feedback from other users of Adam A7x + Sub. Where do you placed it and at which volume and setting you running it? Might thinking about returning the Sub10 for a Sub8.

Bumping this thread as the monitor game has changed a lot in the past few years.

I’m currently rocking a pair of original Mackie HR624s, and am looking into adding/upgrading them as they’re getting long in the tooth. Got my eyes on the new iLoud MTMs as my room is pretty small, but also interested in the Kali IN-8s.

What are y’all using now? Same as before/any changes?

I have the iloud micros and quite frankly they are incredible, the MTMs are meant to be very good also. For a small room I tend to favour small drivers (5inch or less) front ported or no ports at all, and no sub otherwise your low end will be ridiculously over emphasised. Obviously the definition of small room is ambiguous, so for clarity sake I’m talking about rooms less than 10ft x 8ft.

3 Likes

OP initially stated they were looking to upgrade from their Event TR5’s. I’m in the same boat except I didn’t realise I was 6 years behind the curve :joy:

2 Likes

Genelec 8030a, for life.

At this point, my ears have nearly 14 years of listening to them, across two rooms, so I know exactly how things should sound and how they will translate. No desire to chase anything new and start that process over again.

3 Likes

Yamaha MSP-5 + Sub Presonus
If I can get a decent sounding mix on the MSP-5, then it is a winamix :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got my first real monitors earlier this year. Genelec 8330 with a 7350 sub. Love it. I feel i have more control over what i make. Specially in the sub region. I didnt want to use a software “DSP” roomcalibration so i made the most expensive single musicrelated purchase ever.

1 Like

I feel you. I’ve had my HR624s for about 13 years now, and am mostly looking at the MTMs as an addition. They’re extended range, flatter response, and super-nearfield design are the biggest draws, and the ARC correction seems like it could be very useful.

Anyone here uses the Quested F11 active monitors from back in the day? Would like an opinion about them.

Using the eve audio sc207 for a couple of weeks now. They translate really good. Stereo field is awesome.

I use 2 x Focal Solo Be6 with the Sub 6 subwoofer.

1 Like

I use KRK 8, did some room treatment on the backwall, and added a t rack dsp to it.
I did calibrate before with sonarworks, which was really an improvement.
As i wanted a hardware solution, the 80€ dsp was a good choice. The bass on the KRK isnt well defined in my opinion, but it got a lot better with the dsp. Still the upper bass from the KRK isnt that good.

I had a listen to the Genelec 8330 (without sub) in a really well treated room (not mine), and i wanted to see if i can get away from a expensive monitoring solution. But since i heared them - i cant forget how awesome they sounded even with music genres i dont like.

I am still somewhat undecided, i was a fan of the cotton tweeter for a long time in speakers, but i might go titan drivers for the tweeter.

Maybe i do some more room treatment first with some membrane absorber.

i still have my Yamaha HS80… but maybe I’m moving forward to Focal in two or so years

I have my Focal Alpha 65 monitors on desk height stands and a pair of Genelec 6010a either side on my computer monitor. Does me fine.