Which is your favorite FX in the Octatrack?

dark reverb is the master of me totaly
and delay is my angel

The filters almost always win for me. Sweet, nasal, punchy sound, with lots of attitude, considering their digital nature.

The chorus is amazing to turn any live percussion into a wall of shaker / noise madness. Just turn every parameter to full :slight_smile:

The flanger can sound beautiful when tuning it right. Assigning different notes to the crossfader can give some eerie results.

The reverbs are cool, I like the spring one on snares, panning it to one side.

One of my favorite secret weapons is the comb filter. This has inspired me to do an OT tutorial on some of my effect settings. For now, letā€™s just say this :

• grab a percussion loop
  • put the comb filter in FX 1, chorus in FX2
  • go to the FX1 page, get into live record, record some tweaks to the Comb Filterā€™s Pitch parameter.
  • bring the Comb Filterā€™s low pass filter down
  • enjoy your instant techno basslines :slight_smile:
5 Likes

Iā€™ll try that later. I find myself using the comb filter quite a lot with my Juno. Its nice for feedback like overtones when mixed with lots of dark reverb.

i mostly use the delay, the dark verb and compessor.
and i do fell in love with the DJ-EQ, i use this more than the normal filter

what i would like to see is somekinda multitap delay with programmable delay times

delay & spring reverb

flanger or chorus with dark reverb.

Iā€™ve def been digging that new reverb

I think the Dark reverb is an amazing adition to the OT. I was very unhappy with the reverbs before.

Would be awsome to have available EQ and compresion for every channel independently of the other FXblocks, as this is Key point for a propper mixing, I end up exporting my loops for Eq and comp outside the unit, so I dont loose the other FXblocksā€¦

Also would be extremely awsome to P-lock the FXs per stepā€¦ to make the ultimate Glitch machine! :slight_smile:

Dark Reverb
Filter
Delay
Comb Filter
LoFi

Please do this, I would love to see that. I have not been able to use the comb filter in a way that was interesting in any way.

DJ Eq- i love using on my kicks that i turn into basslines
Dark verb - incredible
Delay
Filter

Ive used the chorus on some vocal loops with mild-moderate success.

I canā€™t stand the flanger:(

For me I often run to the delay and DJ filter or Filter. LO - FI is also a big improvement over MD. Dark Reverb is nice as well.

Compressor always on Master track.

The filter is incredible.
Comb filter is pretty versatile.
Love the Dark reverb
Delay is nice, but Iā€™d also like the A4 delay which IMHO sounds amazing.

Those are my faves, I also use the lofi and EQs a fair bit, the chorus, phaser and flanger I donā€™t tend to find as useful, overall though I think the OT fx are pretty good, and go a long way toward making it the amazing box of tricks that it is.

I love the filters and the dark reverb. Filters really are full of life down there. With much of the resonance on filter on frequencies at the low end and decay/time of reverb to full with some highpass/shug to not kill the speakersā€¦ Mainly used it on pads or sustained stuff. With some basic scene P-locks on playback rate and some filter stuff you can get quite spooky and majestic with it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rage: Hehe love the smileys by the way

1 Like

To be frank SM, Iā€™m not that impressed by the OT Filter, perhaps Iā€™ve been spoilt by Moog filters, notwithstanding the Minitaur which as a result will be passed on to a new home but itā€™s character and this includes the A4 are more or less simply a subtraction, stale and a bit coarse, typical digital filters. I find to get a somewhat useable sound I need to crank on the filter overdrive and Iā€™m aware that that is the secret to Moog filters but Iā€™m just not feeling it even though the A4ā€™s filter is analog.
However I do agree with you regarding the Comb Filter, this too is my secret weapon but Iā€™m open to new techniques with the Comb Filter. Bring the tutorial. :+1:

To be frank SM, Iā€™m not that impressed by the OT Filter, perhaps Iā€™ve been spoilt by Moog filters, notwithstanding the Minitaur which as a result will be passed on to a new home but itā€™s character and this includes the A4 are more or less simply a subtraction, stale and a bit coarse, typical digital filters. I find to get a somewhat useable sound I need to crank on the filter overdrive and Iā€™m aware that that is the secret to Moog filters but Iā€™m just not feeling it even though the A4ā€™s filter is analog.
However I do agree with you regarding the Comb Filter, this too is my secret weapon but Iā€™m open to new techniques with the Comb Filter. Bring the tutorial. :+1: [/quote]
haha, maybe you have been ā€œspoiledā€ by Moog :slight_smile:

working on a mini FX tutorial today, mostly focusing on the comb filter.
Cheers !

The filter is about my favorite digital filter on any device, I overuse it because itā€™s so reliable. Love the delay too. Like the dark reverb and the Lofi (especially in front of the filter), the others I use much less frequently.

The Phaser can be nice but it and the flanger are too polite. I keep wanting to get an Ensoniq DP which has really ass-kicking modulation effectsā€¦well all of them are great but I wish someone at Elektron would e-read Dattoroā€™s effect design papers in the AES and implement his algorithms exactly, I want to use the phaser and flanger much more than I actually do but they donā€™t just donā€™t feed back enough. It needs to be able to go out of controlā€¦though I suppose you could ways stack 2 of the same effect. I prefer the comb filter in this regard, but I would like more feedback in the delay tooā€¦the A4ā€™s delay is perfect.

I wonder if this is because the LFO mappings on the OT are a bit weirdā€¦a lot of the time they scale linearly when they should really scale log, itā€™s quite hard to do subtle modulations.

Oh, also the dark reverb needs a longer pre-delay time. On the A4 you can make it 1/8th which is great for syncopated percussion effects, on the OT this is just not possible and I canā€™t think why, it wouldnā€™t require any more memory.

This!

However I do agree with you regarding the Comb Filter, this too is my secret weapon but Iā€™m open to new techniques with the Comb Filter. Bring the tutorial. :+1: [/quote]
I totally agree with the filter. There is a lot of stepping and it canā€™t quite cut the mustard, but seeing as I have only analog filters on all my synths its not a big deal, and the filter works well enough for the things I use it for.
The comb is indeed nice, I use it every now and then to add some overtones to my juno.

Speaking of the A4 Pre-Delay Time parameter, a little sound design technique, modulate the Pre-Delay Time with an LFO to create a squelching sound effect.

This![/quote]
Iā€™m going to try this technique, love the lofi so three quarters there already. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: