Which delay pedal? Recommendations from users

Ibanez dd100?

Edit: crap I just saw the post above where somebody guessed close :confused:

1 Like

This might be too vanilla for your preferences, but TC Flashback 2 is a really good little pedal. It has stereo, three patchable modes and costs not very much.

The Maxon/Ibanez clue gave it away. I’m more of an AD-202 fan for straight up BBD tones (and UE-400 for stereo chorus) but the DM series is pretty sweet with that sample and hold feature and dirt cheap for what you get.

1 Like

If you’re up for something a bit left of field, think about Red Panda Particle. I chose it because I get ‘regular’ delay duties from my Octatrack, and the granular delay on particle goes somewhere different, mangling and re-assembling shards of your input in wonderful ways. I’ve had delay plus ring mod, chorus, bit-reduction out of it, and haven’t come across anything else that sounds like that (which is why I switched my Strymon Timeline for it).
You can hear it at the end of this track I made but there are tons of good demos online. Worth a thought!

4 Likes

Back to the OP - I’d go with the Eventide of those units, but if it’s for desktop use and you have an iPad I’d skip them all and buy a combination of Blackhole, Ultratap, QVox, Discord and/or Dubstation apps. Host them all in Quantiloop and you can have all manner of delayed mayhem with full midi sync.

1 Like

Hi mate yeah I have an iPad and I also have all the Eventide stuff as AU in Logic X it’s just I wanna experiment with some pedals. Today is the day I order at lease 1 pedal… So far it’s the BOSS RV500 and DD500 pair followed by the Source Audio Collider… choices

How about Eventide H9? around the same price as the timefactor but more flexible.

Hi mate,

Yes that looks great however it seems not to have knobs I can tweak in realtime.

This is so sexy too.

2 Likes

Did someone mention this one?

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/doctor-a/#

1 Like

Just an update. I ended up buying the BOSS DD500 & RV500 coming Monday. I felt these two suited my needs.

Thanks guys

Rob

4 Likes

I have an old electroharmonix memory toy. It’s analog and sounds pretty awesome!

2 Likes

What about recommendations from the opposite end of the spectrum from the original post?

I remember reading about the DOD DFX9 digital delay and how it can do really weird glitchy stuff when you’re playing about with delay time especially at really short times and the infinite repeat mode. I really love that sort of gritty digital aliased sound. It seems to be cheap when they become available but that doesn’t happen too often. I then saw a video on the Behringer DD400 which seems to be “inspired” by the DOD or maybe a Boss of similar ilk - I’m no expert - but again doesn’t seem to be readily available. Perhaps people have them lying in the back of a drawer somewhere thinking it’s not worth the hassle of selling.

There seems to be a glut of really, really, really cheap pedals you can get through Amazon like Cuvave, Donner, Mooer and such like. There also seems to be a culture of guitar youtubers who demo them but they’re trying to see how nice they can sound and they’re definitely not live tweaking them to see what kind of glitch/digital ephemera they can get out of them.

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations of cheap pedals for achieving the stuff I’m talking about? Or, if anyone has something in a drawer and might want to make some pennies give me a shout.

I use a DIG (along with a Red Knob Tonal Recall) as my main delay pedal for guitar. It’s such a great sounding delay.

1 Like

The Timefactor and Nemisis both convert your dry signal (vs being analog dry through) as well as your wet signal. Not an issue if you’re using digital synths, but might be worth noting if you’re using analog synths.

I bought one of these today and the 3 synths I tried distort at the input. Can you share how you have yours setup?

Muza FD900 Ambience is pretty sweet but hard to find nowadays. There’s one on US Reverb right now.

There’s a mono version as well

+1 Strymon Volante, it makes digital synths with the right patches sound analog

I’m adding a non-delay as one of my favorite delays at the moment: Empress Reverb! The Reverb+Delay setting works beautiful for me. Use it on the Digitone, and the Low & High knobs work amazing for dialing the delay (and the reverb) towards the whole sound or towards just delaying a specific track with a bass or lead melody. A function I’m often missing on other delays (my Timeline only does high pass with a limited amount of frequencies, the Empress Reverb is definitely better towards this goal).

Plus there’s a knob for the amount of Reverb vs Delay for the Reverb+Delay modes, from full Reverb to Full Delay.

Not the most of controls or options for a €500 Delay, but if you’re also looking for an amazing reverb, the delay is a great bonus. I don’t use a separate delay anymore on the Digitone.

Damn, that sounds amazing!