Where's Hobo?

I remember discovering some music from Hobo around 2016 (well, I don’t remember but my Spotify playlist for cool finds has some of his tracks added around 2016 :sweat_smile:), later I got to watch every new "How To Make " and later "How To Make Music Like " when they would come out on his YouTube channel, the humour in the production of some of those was quite hilarious, that was around 2019-2022.

The past couple of years I noticed he had completely stopped creating the “How To Make Music Like”, or any kind of video, just thought it was the usual burnout from creating content, or just got busy with the DJ/producer gig and YT was just this side funny thing to do but… I don’t see any new traces of him anymore on the internet :thinking: even his old website (makersgonnamake.co) doesn’t work.

I imagine his life just changed, music is not a thing anymore, whatever, but for some reason it was a bit sad today to remember all of this and search for any trace and simply find… Nothing.

In the end I left just wondering… Where’s Hobo??

1 Like

That’s interesting. He stopped releasing music and his last gig was on October 2022. What happened???

1 Like

I think I found my answer much quicker than expected: https://joelboych.uk/

I got very curious and went on Google-stalking mode, looked up his name and after ignoring results from a homonymous film director I stumbled upon this page, it’s the same face just a bit older, also same picture from his Instagram.

Mystery solved, probably life got in his way (or he just got tired of producing/DJing), he is a developer these days.

Unfortunate to see for me personally, since I’m also a developer/corporate drone and really wish someone with his skills wouldn’t have to become one of us :joy:

3 Likes

email him! tell him you still remember what he did and that you loved it.

i bet that’s a good email to receive.

10 Likes

Thinking a lot about this… Someone with his connections, profile and platform can’t make a decent living off music no more… :disappointed:

1 Like

You never know what problems, difficulties, obstacles people have to overcome.

For example, I think a lot about this guy :

https://brahms.ircam.fr/en/christophe-bertrand

Great composer, his music was played by Boulez, the Ensemble Intercomtemporain and a bunch of other very talented and important musicians and ensembles. Yet he committed suicide at 29. That’s a great loss.

Maybe Hobo just wanted a change ?

2 Likes

Maybe he got tired of sleeping on the streets! Good for him getting gainful employment that puts a roof over his head!

2 Likes

ba dum tssss

=)

1 Like