Where to start with octatrack?

One thing at a time!

You do not need to learn every aspect to begin. Start with a basic concept each time you sit down with it.

For example:

Day 1 - basic drum beats with single hits per track.
Day 2 - Sampling (start with one method. I started with rec trigs, but that might be complicated for some)

etc…

7 Likes

As always, Max Marco’s YT vids would be a good place to start.

Lots of valuable ideas and perspectives.

5 Likes

I’m in the same place as you: I’ve owned the DN and ST for some time. I decided to buy the Octatrack as well because sometimes I feel like using samples, such as vocal chops or things that are hard to synthesize, like tambourines. And decided if I want a sampler, then it all or nothing :D.

The first time I booted it up, I was kind of overwhelmed by the possibilities. I tried sampling, slicing, and making beats with just the OT alone. In the end, I decided to take things slowly. Currently, I’m using it as a mixer, effects box, and live sampler, but in a rather conservative manner. I’m doing this to become more comfortable with using it, as there’s a lot happening inside that can be confusing.

For instance, yesterday I was a bit freaked out because my unit seemed to be defective. It was switching selected tracks by itself, arming tracks for recording, enabling cues, and so on. I was in the middle of writing a customer support ticket asking if my unit was defective, and then I realized it was because of a MIDI track on my Syntakt that was triggering notes on the Digitone. The ST is the source of clock, transport, and program changes: ST → DN → OT. I had forgotten to uncheck some checkbox on the OT, basically. :sweat_smile:

tl;dr: I’d suggest plugging in the gear you usually use together and just leaving it be.

Here’s my jam from yesterday. It’s not flashy or anything, but it works for me (for the time being):

2 Likes

i got one recently!
i’ve used DT, AR, A4 in the past.

my approach has been to familiarize myself with all the functions I had on the DT first.
Because i started with this, things have been somewhat intuitive, and rewarding. when i come up against something i don’t know how to use, i table it until the next day and a do a little manual reading about the subject. i’ll either then test out the new knowledge, or let it steep in my brain for a while until a use case comes up.
having learned some of the basics, i started trying to get a feel for which effects i like to use, and how i might use the different machines.
the last week i’ve been trying to learn more about gain staging, and working w/ acoustic inputs.
i haven’t gotten into project formatting yet, but i plan to by the end of the month.

2 Likes

I think this is the right answer.

After some years I would say I’m familiar with all of the OT’s features – maybe there are a couple I haven’t needed to check out, but for argument sake, let’s say I know them all. I probably only use like 2-5% of these features in each part of a project! And it’s ok if I don’t use everything at once… It would be like learning to cook and trying to use all the spices and all the herbs in the kitchen in one dish! No need to do that :slight_smile:

Also, @Nokulture I think it makes sense check out Parts pretty early in your journey. Maybe make an empty project and play with different part assignments on patterns, save parts, reload parts, see what changes and does not change in each part… Check out the numerous threads and videos on the topic if the manual doesn’t clear it up for you. It might prevent future confusion, because Parts are a key data structure in the OT. People often postpone learning that and then get really confused later.

5 Likes

Reading that and the full manual while I was waiting for mine to arrive helped a lot.

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try it, but sometimes is so easy to be lost in all features.

I understand you, it’s the same for me.

I’ve tried the same with EZbot’s template, but it wasn’t enough for me.

I’ll keep in mind that, because I’ve missed each time I read the manual.

@Supercolor_T-120 Thanks, I’ve checked the Merlin’s guide, and seems so interesting.

Thanks to all for those tips.

2 Likes

This forum is a goldmine of OT tips and tricks, so many brilliant threads and posts from experienced users to passionate beginners. Check out the search function and prepare to bookmark a lot of stuff!

As has been said, the Merlin guide is phenomenal.

2 Likes

It really is! I find myself reading this forum for hours, mining for those nuggets of wisdom that have accumulated over the years.

And keep an eye out for posts by guru Octatrackist @sezare56 – those are usually the really good ones! :slight_smile:

2 Likes
1 Like

“vinyls”

4 Likes

Honestly it’s worth it.

Honestly you need to approach it like learning a new instrument, like the clarinet.

Hi, question from someone thinking of buying an OT.

Can the OT be set to play chops of a recording that has not happened yet? e.g. whatever recording I make on this track (rec buffer?), play chop #3, #8, #16 of it on these specific trigs once it’s recorded. Or must the recording exist before you chop it?

Hi @Tapepusher, what you describe is definitely possible with the OT. You can assign a track to play the slices of a recording buffer in any way you want (before the buffer has recorded audio).

This video of RMR gives a good explanation on this: https://youtu.be/ybBIFawwSxg?si=20o52RNsrP7kTveX&t=2196

2 Likes

Yep and it’s fun.

1 Like

:eyes: live vocal chops of live vocalists :flushed:

I was already convinced OT was my destiny but this is game over.

Exactly. You can even have multiple tracks chopping up the same recording buffer; apply different effects & LFOs and flip everything upside down with the crossfader :+1: In the beginning it’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the possibilities :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You can also parameter lock different recording buffers per step in your pattern . Presliced buffer mayhem.

3 Likes

And you can do that up to 8 times! Pre-sliced buffer mayhem to another 7 pre-sliced buffers, if you’re so inclined. This is the kind of stuff I love about the OT. Those 8 independent buffers are kinda magical

2 Likes

Is there an equivalent to the DT sound pool? For p-locking different sounds to a single track.