A polished version of Merlin's OT guide here

Here’s my faaaavorite paragraph from the manual: Trigless trigs.

Happy learning :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

ordered a printed copy of this edit of Merlin’s guide.
Definitely worth having!

1 Like

I was a little apprehensive before my purchase of the OT mkii due to it’s complexity.
However, after reading this fantastic guide, (not read the OT manual yet), my mind was put completely at ease.

Then :

I’m a little concerned again now! :astonished: :laughing:

Another big thank you for this very informative guide!

2 Likes

Going through this and I have to say it’s filled a few gaps I had reading the OT manual.

But…I’m wondering if there is a different approach between Mki and Mkii on pg 18 in Merlin’s Guide.

After creating a pattern as instructed on pg 17 (5 tracks)…it says to press [FUNC] +[PART], then [FUNC] + [EDIT]…and “a menu appears which allows you to save the part.”

I’m assuming there was no [PART] key on the Mki? Because on my Mkii I get to that menu with the [FUNC] + [PART] keys. Also I don’t see a [EDIT] key per say other than the “PART EDIT” 2ndary Func.

So far that’s the only confusion I have so far.

I guess I WOULD like to know, what are the differences between Mki and Mkii so that I know when I should be aware something might be different in the way Merlin’s says things work. Thanks!

Yea it’s a bit of a misprint
FUNC + MIDI = “Part”

and then from there FUNC + BANK = “Edit”

So try those two commands in succession, and you should get the Part Edit page.

3 Likes

I’ve decided to (finally) print this guide and also made some cosmetic adjustments, to better align with the mk2 manual style.

I would call this A cosmetic polished version of the polished version of Merlin’s OT guide.
My humble contribution for this community, I believe some of you will enjoy it

Some Thoughts on Elektron’s Octatrack by Merlin.pdf (583.1 KB)

Sorry for not redoing the images to fit the style :zonked:

18 Likes

Really nice thanks!

1 Like

Great! It looks good - Thanks for updating it :slight_smile:

1 Like

awesome! thanks!

1 Like

Wow amazing! Thank you! Time to wipe the dust off from mz OT MK-1. Hope it still works LOL

Fantastic! Just went looking for this. Much appreciated to all involved

New OT user here. Thank you for this! And to Merlin for the original!

2 Likes

Soon to be OT user here.
I am very happy to have found this nicely condensed manual! Already consumed it twice in preparation of the process to come. It is so much less demoralising in comparison to the original OT manual!

Thanks to everyone involved!!!

2 Likes

How much of this is applicable to the new MKII?

All of it. Marks I and II are functionally identical.

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you !! I am coming from Ableton / DAW centric setup and got the OT just a few month and the guide really helps me focus how to organize my performance and how to make it fit all together!

1 Like

Many thanks to you and Merlin for this! Just ordered a MKII this morning, so I know what I’ll be doing while I wait for it to arrive :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for this. Just heard about this guide in the demystifying vid from Red Means Recording and love having a second guide to demystify the official manual.

2 Likes

Couldnt find any information bout that. can it do some portamento stuff live? (No trig slides) would like to play some 808s or other portamento stuff.

I guess you talk about audio tracks ?
(There is a Legato parameter for midi tracks).

No specific parameter for that, I use slides. You can also use an lfo on pitch to mimic it.

?

1 Like