Where to buy in depth tutorials of elektron machines?

I was interested in the Octatrack one, how in-depth does he go?

Please keep up with your youtube videos umonox. They are very helpful.

2 Likes

Carl Mikaelā€™s Cabinet of Curiosities

This guy does excellent work.

Also, Cuckoo an Carl Mikael balance each other nicely, they would make a great pair!

2 Likes

thanks mate. trying my best to NOT be the usual german ā€¦ :relieved:

2 Likes

He really does a great job. His voice sounds like Barack Obama.

1 Like

There are a lot of tutorials out there, Cuckoo, Cabinet of Curiosities etc. etc., but the new-ish Thavius Beck MacPro Video sessions are by far the best for methodical learning, really easy to follow. I canā€™t recommend them enough. If I had been able to watch the Octatrack video he did recently, when I first bought my OT, I would have learned it soooooo much faster!!

Was it worth watching it at a later stage?

Yes, absolutely, it helped fill a lot of gaps that I had in my understanding. Iā€™m going to watch the A4 tutorial too, even though I know how to use mine fairly well. Heā€™s just got a good technique, and the structure of the tutorials work really well - for me at least :wink:

1 Like

Ooooohhh. This is really a topic that draws my interest.

Iā€™ve worked with education for all my professional life. Iā€™ve worked with young children in kindergarten and primary schooling. Iā€™ve taught at the teacher training programme at Malmƶ university for 15 years. Now I do educational development at that same institution.

Part time is freelance work. Some of which I use for the Cabinet of Curiosities.

Iā€™d love to be able to monetize the work I do on tutorials on electronic music and instruments. And Iā€™m experimenting to find a model where that is possible.

There is a lot of good stuff being done commercially and freely available. But - and Iā€™m gonna stick my chin out - there is a tendency towards dark rooms and blinking lights or one-camera productions with nothing but machine and hands. Iā€™m aiming for video tutorials designed for learning that actually use the video media for all its capabilities. Tutorials with a learning focus - not on functions, but on what the learner would like to be able to do or accomplish. Video manuals might have their place - but I wanna produce videos that help the learner develop skills, knowledge and understanding.

That takes time. A typical CabCurio tutorial (10-20 minutes) takes me probably 40 hours to script, prepare, shoot, edit and publish. One video == 1/4 of my monthly work time. Iā€™m not making that kind of money. Yet.

This is a love project. For the love of teaching and learning. For the love of electronic music and instruments. :heart: :heart_decoration: :heart:

But Iā€™d love to find a way to make this doable in the long run. Reading the OP - there seems to be people willing to pay.

Hi fives and hugs! //Carl-Mikael

17 Likes

Iā€™ve heard theres people doing lessons with skype. My old drum teacher told me that so it was for acoustic stuff and maybe a bit of a hassle setting things up with the sound for electronic music thoughā€¦

5 Likes

someone know if a monomachineā€™s tutorial exist?
i only know

1 Like

this channel is superb (just discovered)

1 Like

Is the course by Thavius Beck also helpful for little more experienced users? How deep does it go?
Iā€™m considering it anyway, since I spent a lot of time with itā€™s synthesis and sequencer, but slept a little bit on basic structure and shortcuts :slight_smile:

New tut available
https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/elektron-106-rytm-perform-and-produce

I might be different but I only touch basics from videos to get me up to speed with UI.
Then I just start turning every knob and pressing every button to see what it does while reading the manual.

1 Like

Hi there, iā€™m glad to be here after such a long waiting.:grin:
Today my Analog Rytm mk2 arrivedā€¦:heart_eyes:ā€¦thatā€™s my first Elektron and my first Analog Drum machine as well; iā€™m coming from an Arturia Spark.

Considering that iā€™m starting from scratch here, what kind of suggestion do you have for me?
Where can i find some well-built(better if step-by-step) tutorial out there?

Thanx for all

Giorgio

Overbridge is not worth wasting time on for me (I have an AR MK1 and a Mac running Live). I prefer editing sounds on the hardware and the audio over USB just doesnā€™t work properly with Ableton. Instead I bought a cheap second hand 8 channel A/D converter (and breakout cables) to mix the ARā€™s individual outputs. OB also fails to back up data properly and has no sample management so itā€™s rather useless to me.

1 Like

Thavius Beck has some good intro level courses at https://www.macprovideo.com/ (not just Macs) for Digitakt, Analog Four, and Octatrack.

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/elektron-102-analog-four-explained-and-explored

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/elektron-103-octatrack-dynamic-sampling

https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/elektron-105-digitakt-drums-explored

None of these are about the super complex functions of the machines, but they are great ways to get acquainted with them if you are new to them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There needs to be some advanced level professional videos for the MKII series. Iā€™d pay for them.