Where have the boys from Boards of Canada gone?

nice one, also Glasgow! My brother is in London so sometimes visit there too but yeah, I can imagine missing it from there. Has a very specific energy, people and vibe.

1 Like

I’m loving the new remix. The synths sound less retro and I’d actually be quite interested in hearing them release something with less of the characteristic BOC sound. Sounds a bit like Plaid but that can’t be a bad thing. It’s got the funk and if they’re going in this direction I say bring it on.

1 Like

I recently listened to Tomorrow’s Harvest on shrooms and now i get it. It made a lot more sense to me and was a beautiful experience.

1 Like

Btw this is the best BoC interview i read.

It’s in german but google translator is your friend. It was conducted when Campfire Headphase came out and it was the first time they spoke publicly about being brothers.

Here are some other BoC interviews:

6 Likes

Damn, I made a nightmare this night and just realised it’s been caused by the reading of this topic.
I saw a black man, totally faceless, wearing a hat. Scared me to death. Very much like the people on “Music has the right to children” cover.

I believe the guys being brothers was first revealed in this interview, from 2005.

2 Likes

Woah looks like some ideal spot for relaxing and making sounds…

I wonder how life is around there as I come from a very different country both in landscape and (I guess) mentality…

1 Like

The interview is from the same year. I don’t know which was first but in the groove interview one of them asks the other if it’s ok to speak about it (them being brothers) and that they never spoke about it before.

1 Like

Same in the one I linked to. :blush:

too early in the morning for me to translate from German, so thought some might want an English version. :pray:

2 Likes

It seems like it was an interview with several journalists in one room.

1 Like

Detective K, more like. :laughing: Thank you!

1 Like

Man, I knew they loved some riddles, numbers, and hidden messages, but daayummm…

After watching that video and seeing the excruciating detail and effort they have put into the hints and clues for the release of Tomorrow’s Harvest, I think their new record is probably already out and just waiting for someone to discover it. They are the Willy Wonka of music.

5 Likes

Me too

1 Like

I’m doing as such and can’t tell whether it’s fantastic writing or terrible translation.

… In the cafeteria of the Royal Museum in Edinburgh there are no obdurate electronic peanuts across from you as one had feared - on the contrary.

New album inspiration: Obdurate Electronic Peanuts

7 Likes

:smiley: The pitchfork interview above is almost the same and in English.

that’s what I assumed their rural commune life was like already anyway.

It’s weird with BoC. I have a bunch of their records but I know almost nothing about them, I don’t even know their names. I’ve never really looked into them, as much lore as there is to uncover. I really dig the anonymity. It’s great that artists are able to to live this life. I don’t think they even tour, right? There’s a real power behind a team though, it can really give an edge to an electronic act, the meeting of two minds.

A friend of mine once described the BoC sound as ‘synths baked in a oven’, I really loved that haha. I don’t think they need to change their sound at all. Their records are so multilayered, sure their warm synths are in there but they’re part of greater structures, so melodic.

Tomorrow’s Harvest is so professionally produced. It has a sheen to it. I feel like it’s maybe the Boards of Canada album a lot of people have as their first BoC album. It’s in a LOT of ‘recently released’ vinyls stacks I see, in almost any store. It sort of reminds me of Random Access Memories in its own way. Not stylistically, but just …around the same time, high polish, global level distribution, high q production.

All the visual code lead up they did for that record was great to follow at the time. It was like a movie. And all it was, was like, passing desert fields from a car or something. But it had this feel about it. It was a huge, commercial release, it’s crazy how ‘indie warble synth guys’ lingers as the definition, but the reality in some ways is quite different. It’s crazy how big they are.

4 Likes

They make a damn good anagram too

A Band of Orcs

2 Likes

There are four A’s and two D’s in BoC though

2 Likes

I know but thats the best i could do.

2 Likes