Where have the boys from Boards of Canada gone?

Watch this for some nostalgia - it’s the best documentary I’ve seen so far.

And for even more nostalgia listen to this album from project null:

If you read this, BOC: I miss you!!

17 Likes

hmm - just been playing this video (thanks for posting btw) via the forum link on my computer with my phone switched off. When I switched my phone on, the video stopped playing and won’t restart.

Hate how Google/Facebook are surreptitiously, constantly tracking us from multiple vectors.

1 Like

…speaking of which…

4 Likes

Kinda disappointing imo. I don’t know the original track but, damn, the hints at typical BoC sounds was more infuriating than soothing.

1 Like

…yup…think so too…

but hey…at least a proof of life…

2 Likes

Defo! I’m hoping for something in the next couple of years :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

:wink:

there’s always hope…

1 Like

Somethings wrong with the music industry. I cant seem to find any awards given to them and their contribution to music. Why is this when their so popular and their music has been used in films and commercials.

1 Like

I really can’t imagine them giving a flying fuck about the Mercury or any of that nonsense, so it doesn’t really matter. Awards are silly anyway. Same thing for Autechre who have been pushing electronic music forward for two decades.

5 Likes

Maybe not but who knows what they think. Led Zeppelin never turned down an award or two :slight_smile:

1 Like

something is definitely wrong with the music industry, no telling why musicians in general haven’t simply boycotted it in total…

1 Like

I burned all my cds of theirs when they used vocoded vocals on something way back.
Too far that sorry…

This is great on the history of BOC

10 Likes

I wish the truth about the Mercury awards ( and all the others ) came out
Like how much it costs for the labels to submit their albums etc etc. It’s not like a group of respected people just find interesting stuff and forward it to be nominated.

Anyway , very off topic sorry.

I think boards of Canada are probably trying to figure out a new sound / direction to head in since boc soundpacks, tape warble plugins and a shedload of ‘sounds like boc/ how to sound like boc’ acts and tutorials have flooded the market.

Many might sound great , but it also makes it harder.
I think it’s certainly high praise to become one of those acts that define a genre ( see also sounds like orbital, afx, underworld , autechre, daft punk etc)

6 Likes

I can imagine seeing your sound design advertised as a sound pack be rewarding beyond any material trophies.

1 Like

My soundpaxk would have presets like.

A bit lfo
A bit autechre
Similar to happy cycling
A bit rezzy
Generic dxbassline
Squiggly sh101

It certainly wouldn’t be original and is unlikely as
1.I never finish anything
2.I’m just a wannabe music bloke ranting on forums instead of finishing anything.

6 Likes

Possibly true. Although Tomorrow’s Harvest was much darker in tone than what’s traditionally thought of as classic BoC. Their ‘sound’ usually brings up references to Twoism, Music has the Right to Children and Geogaddi, but they were already exploring new (to them) sounds on The Campfire Headphase. Anyway, I don’t expect them to stagnate if anything else does get released.

2 Likes

You might do wobbly things with tape or ugly plugins, but you’ll never sound like boards of canada.
I’ve never been a huge fan of them, but you can recognize a BoC track from miles away.
I don’t think they need to reinvent themself just because people are into wobbly chords. Quite the contrary actually. They should do more wobbly wobbly to sound more wobbly than the wobbly imitator!

2 Likes

I wonder if they would use hardware anymore?

They use the BoC Wobbler VST now and the Wakai S1000 Wobble VST Edition

1 Like