Where have the boys from Boards of Canada gone?

something is definitely wrong with the music industry, no telling why musicians in general haven’t simply boycotted it in total…

1 Like

I burned all my cds of theirs when they used vocoded vocals on something way back.
Too far that sorry…

This is great on the history of BOC

10 Likes

I wish the truth about the Mercury awards ( and all the others ) came out
Like how much it costs for the labels to submit their albums etc etc. It’s not like a group of respected people just find interesting stuff and forward it to be nominated.

Anyway , very off topic sorry.

I think boards of Canada are probably trying to figure out a new sound / direction to head in since boc soundpacks, tape warble plugins and a shedload of ‘sounds like boc/ how to sound like boc’ acts and tutorials have flooded the market.

Many might sound great , but it also makes it harder.
I think it’s certainly high praise to become one of those acts that define a genre ( see also sounds like orbital, afx, underworld , autechre, daft punk etc)

6 Likes

I can imagine seeing your sound design advertised as a sound pack be rewarding beyond any material trophies.

1 Like

My soundpaxk would have presets like.

A bit lfo
A bit autechre
Similar to happy cycling
A bit rezzy
Generic dxbassline
Squiggly sh101

It certainly wouldn’t be original and is unlikely as
1.I never finish anything
2.I’m just a wannabe music bloke ranting on forums instead of finishing anything.

6 Likes

Possibly true. Although Tomorrow’s Harvest was much darker in tone than what’s traditionally thought of as classic BoC. Their ‘sound’ usually brings up references to Twoism, Music has the Right to Children and Geogaddi, but they were already exploring new (to them) sounds on The Campfire Headphase. Anyway, I don’t expect them to stagnate if anything else does get released.

2 Likes

You might do wobbly things with tape or ugly plugins, but you’ll never sound like boards of canada.
I’ve never been a huge fan of them, but you can recognize a BoC track from miles away.
I don’t think they need to reinvent themself just because people are into wobbly chords. Quite the contrary actually. They should do more wobbly wobbly to sound more wobbly than the wobbly imitator!

2 Likes

I wonder if they would use hardware anymore?

They use the BoC Wobbler VST now and the Wakai S1000 Wobble VST Edition

1 Like

For me Tomorrow’s harvest is their best album, more synthy than the others and some of the drum programming is fantastic

8 Likes

Im taking the Caledonian Sleeper train this week up to Fort William then driving up to the Western Isles… If i spot them I will let you all know. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

If anyone has been fortunate enough to visit Cullen (where the brothers are from) you might kind of get a sense of where their music comes from. Their stuff is oddly really fitting for that part of the world.

I only recently realised they hailed from there. I holidayed up that way a couple of years ago - lovely part of the world. And for those Scots on the forum who have never been it’s def worth checking out. Veering off topic but there’s some lovely warmer micro climates that way and cracking beaches - all on your doorstep.

4 Likes

The Caledonian sleeper forks off to either the Highlands or Aberdeen. Maybe i should replan my route :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Because theyre essentially misanthropes in the eyes of the music industry. They dont award just good music, needs to be a complete package. Why didnt Burial win for Untrue?

2 Likes

Ha! You wont go wrong with either to be honest. I was genuinely stunned by the beaches though. Even at Lossiemouth with fighter jets doing manoeuvres above, the beach was lovely. I might have been ridiculously lucky weather wise but either way it was brilliant. West coast is great too though - be prepared for some odd accents. Folks in Oban honestly sound like a continental European speaking English to me :joy:

In any case, get the BoC tapes on and enjoy the scenery. The journey will be great.

2 Likes

least favourite of mine. still waiting for it to grow on me, 8 years later- always feels like a BOC-by-numbers excercise. took a fair few years for campfire headphase to make sense to me tho (couldnt come to terms with the use of guitars) so there’s hope yet that i’ll have a change of heart

1 Like

I know just the track :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t! You’re going to the best side of Scotland :wink:

1 Like

Im going through the Highlands and then off to Luskentyre Beach. I will try and write a few BOC type tracks when i get there :slight_smile: