Where are the women and non cis males?

Thanks for the quick answer. I almost never read the “new xxx” threads so maybe that’s the reason I never experienced stuff of that sort. Anyways from my point of view you mods do a great job :thup:

1 Like

True. And when I was speaking of diversity in the original post, I did not just aim for just sex or gender.

I’m guessing middle class, middle aged (white?) men (people like me) populate the places I visit. I move in a bubble. I’d like to burst the bubble.

5 Likes

I’m glad you feel that 99% of posts on the forum are not problematic. We’re shooting or 100% and it takes a village. One of the reasons you won’t find those problematic photos is enough forum users flagged them that they became hidden.

Additionally, it’s not just the overall tone or the obvious content of posts that make them problematic. There are plenty of implicit things, and micro-agressions all around this forum from years past that are still lingering.
“The wife” - treating a person as object, often in gear photos threads when a person is clearly spending money that their spouse does not approve of or disagrees with, this is the one that makes me cringe the most. Yes, we are adults. We are capable of respectful adult relationships and this term is not indicative of such a relationship.

Lots of sexist language that may not seem problematic persists. Like when “he” is the chosen pronoun when no gender definition is even necessary.

5 Likes

I love the answer. And it does tell us a bunch of thing about ourselves. As a group.

Nah. You’re right. But from my perspective, the discussion is valuable. And educational. And intellectually stimulating.

4 Likes

OH GOD THE WIFE THING. That drives me 100% up a fucking wall. Acting as if women are “YE OLDE BALL AND CHAIN” that stands between you and your creativity or your GAS. Meanwhile part of the problem there is that studies show most families put the onus of household tasks (including budgeting) on women and not men, so there is a reason for this perception, but partly it’s men blaming women for the tasks they have laid on them.

Here’s something. I frequently get email ads from gear stores that have “Father’s Day” sales. Never “Mother’s Day.” Because women don’t make music, silly! I have emailed every one of them to ask about that and all of them gave me the email equivalent of a blank stare, as if the concept was so foreign to them that mothers might also make music.

This is DEEPLY engrained shit. You can be a perfectly good guy and still have this muckity muck floating around in your head without even knowing it. But it stands out like a 3D image every time I see it.

25 Likes

In my experience, @Ryan has it right about this particular forum – we may well be primarily cis males, but in the vast majority of cases we don’t engage in the sort of talk that would put off those who identify otherwise. (Those of us who do identify as non cis male, please chime in and correct me if I’m tonedeaf to problems that exist around here – I read only a small fraction of threads.)

That said, @void and @Accent point out something that’s not necessarily offensive, but that a bunch of guys probably can’t help but do – i.e. talk about subjects that can often come across as pretty male and synth-geeky to begin with.

Here’s something I’m struggling to express: I don’t feel like I come here to talk about “guy stuff” but I fully expect that subtle aspects of my language use reveals me as a cis guy. This is going to have an effect on readers. We’ve all got limited amounts of time and energy, and we tend to gravitate to places where we feel we have common ground with the people there, and not merely a small fraction of them. If I walked into a room and I sensed it was, say, overwhelmingly female, I freely admit I’d be self-conscious, even if the environment was welcoming and respectful. Does that mean that I wouldn’t stay, or willingly come back? Not at all. But I’d be conscious of the dynamic, and innumerable aspects of my interactions there would be contributing to my sense of that elusive but powerful thing, the room’s vibe.

I suspect this is one of the great challenges of building any sort of civil society based on ideals rather than merely a shared historic background – how to make it not just safe for a diverse membership, but genuinely welcoming and appealing to them, sometimes in ways that are difficult to identify and negotiate.

Elektron HQ deserves credit for trying to feature more non cis/male artists in their interviews. (I’d never heard Cherushii’s music before discovering her that way, and was heartbroken when she perished in the Oakland fire.)

10 Likes

Oh yes, please, go more into the nuclear family pitfall.
Let’s go full Shulamith Firestone up in here.

1 Like

This! :arrow_double_up:

Hardware forums are always gonna have more well-off people because that’s who can afford to buy the stuff in the first place. Obviously having one piece of expensive hardware doesn’t mean you’re not broke af, but I guess it’s an averages thing.

You’ll find more working class people in the Ableton and FL Studio forums, and more black people in the (roland) SP and MPC forums.

2 Likes

nothing, absolutely nothing.

If they make a community that we are interested in , then we will approach them.

if they are interested in our community they will approach us.

2 Likes

I suppose from my perspective, these are situations where cis men could stand to stop talking and just listen.

Thank you for posting.

4 Likes

If you want to burst that bubble, I suggest looking for people IRL

2 Likes

A number of derivatives of the terms cisgender and cissexual include cis male for “male assigned male at birth”, cis female for “female assigned female at birth”, analogously cis man and cis woman, and cissexism and cissexual assumption.

you know I have to google these terms, honestly!

1 Like

Also, in a conversation elsewhere, I reminded myself that because of a lot of the factors I mentioned before, a lot of women have left communities like this one (or like myself, prefer to lurk), but have gravitated into women/women-identified only communities for music production.

There, a complete n00b can ask a question and instead of getting blasted, actually gets an answer. And we tend to talk a lot about the “confidence gap”, how we’re promoted/perceived as artists (relative to our gender) and other pitfalls that we face that men do not (or that men don’t talk about, because the confidence gap is not a gender-specific thing).

And from my experience there, I can tell you this: women will get PLENTY technical when we’re not being shouted down by someone who wants to argue or “win” or tell us in 100 different ways how analog is better than digital or some other nonsense bullshit.

Sometimes the gear forum default is making everything like sports…a competition. And that is mostly fucking useless if you just want to chat and learn.

24 Likes

I certainly haven’t been on ANY forum where it was suggested that women “could just stand to stop talking”

3 Likes

As in you want to do nothing? Or as in can’t do anything?

Because I want to do something. I’m certain that diversity enriches me.

2 Likes

Yes, because it’s that simple. Except not at all. Unless you just don’t give a fuck, which would have been much simpler to say.

3 Likes

Design for learning! :wink:

Lucky you because that’s what I’ve been hearing from men for pretty much my whole life. You could really stand some perspective, tbh.

The point this person was making is that men will frequently ask “why aren’t more women here” and then just talk talk talk about something they know literally nothing about. If you want to know why there aren’t more women, ASK WOMEN. And when they answer, LISTEN TO THEM.

But what usually happens is men ask, women answer, and then men argue with women that we’re wrong. Hence the feeling that men should talk less and listen to women if they want those answers.

23 Likes

i rarely, if ever see anyone here “getting blasted” for asking a noob question. that’s just not the reality.

2 Likes