Where are the Model Cycles Soundpacks?

It is a magnificent machine for the price. Actually I would pay more for it now that I’ve worked with it and made all these beats that fit my DN patterns so well. I’m really surprised by its range of sounds and timbres.

Exaaaactly :star_struck:

Regarding the machines/algorithms I can easily imagine more coming. Why not? Definitely with FM much more is possible.
I’d like to see a very applied glitch machine.

4 Likes

I wouldnt be so interested in a soundpack with a just a bunch of sounds, its really easy to tweak the machines and find sounds I like myself.
However, I would maybe be interested in soundpacks where the focus is on ‘kits’, i.e. sets of 6 finely tuned sounds which mix together really well.

5 Likes

I do not find soundpacks are needed; this is not a digitone or DX7, is quite fast to come up with new sounds. Apart from the main 4 knobs assigning velocity and lfo to different parameters give quite a lot of variation. I do not even load presets, just the standard machines and start messing around until I find something I like. I also like layering parts (in fact is what I like most), assigning 2 or more tracks to same midi channel to create more complex sounds. Like a pad made with metal, tone and chord machine for example with different attack/decay settings each or hihat made with three different metal machines

4 Likes

you can get pretty interesting dirty chords by using a high speed lfo set to sweep and then start adding in trigless locks for varying speeds of the lfo, depth and contour parameter… sure its not the same as other machines and has its various ranges but also other machines can’t do the same things the model cycles does also :man_shrugging: I also found a usable clapish sound by using a snare machine and putting the lfo on pitch with mult x256 depth 17, color over 80, and shape over 50 but yeah not much variety to be found in clap sounds yet in my exploring I could see also making 2 sounds that you play in succession to make more diverse variety of clap type stuff if someone were looking to push the boundaries a bit more with one track.

Yeah I think it is partially because the machines aren’t fully transparent in what they are doing… chord machine and unison mode can get you some simple mono synth sounds, finding the right places in the tone machine can get you a really big variety of sounds, lower ratios will be giving you more plucky VA style sounds. For learning the tone machine I really highly recommend going through color, shape, and sweep with the lfo taking turns being set to each parameter and playing with various settings as you will find some really fun stuff in there. Actually now that I think about it this is probably a good idea to try out on all the machines… I’ve yet to deep dive on the perc machine yet it is still a bit of a mystery to me.

5 Likes

Cheers for the tips!

WHOA.

Did not know this existed, might have to buy an iPad now
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ios-tensor-kit-pattern-randomizer-for-the-model-line/125870/25

1 Like

I’m familiar with this sound but it’s just not really noisy or dirty, but warbly. :man_shrugging:

I guess more specifically I’ve been using a S&H lfo with a rate of x512 with a pretty low depth (2 or 3)… makes it sound sort of dusty crackly/noisey while still having variety all through out the range of the sweep knob

4 Likes

I will have to try that!

1 Like

There’s a new pack of 100 patches here.

6 Likes

I got that soundpack and it’s quite good!

1 Like

I just got that sound pack last night and flipped through it while watching some TV before bed. There were a lot of sounds that impressed me. Lots of weird LFO heavy sounds.

I think you get more of a unique sound just playing with the Model Cycles. It has been one of the most fun machines ive purchased in recent memory.

Edit: That sound pack is dope, thanks AdamJay

2 Likes

Agreed. I think soundpacks are great for the odd sound you want to use as is but buried amongst your own sounds, or else they’re useful for learning a new machine’s capabilities by reverse engineering. Otherwise, create your own!

Edit: I made the mistake of downloading too many when I owned an Analog Keys and it had the opposite effect. Too many to cycle through, barely any I would actually consider using, gave up on them completely in the end. Too many presets are sometimes detrimental :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

WE NEEEEDDDD CLAPPPPPP
sincerely,
-dudes that like to trap on the cycles

2 Likes

We need new machines serioulsy

2 Likes

I’ve been on the fence about the M:C - I really like how it sounds but I’ve increasingly found myself going down the same rabbit holes with how I’m programming it. Then, I was messing about with feeding it through external FX (in particular the Alexander Syntax Error) and thinking I need to spend more time. So, might pull my for sale advert. Anyway, in amongst all of that I did some searching and happened across some sound packs if case anyone is looking for more starting points:

https://wavparty.com/downloads/model-cycles-sound-pack-01/ - FREE!!!

https://www.oversynth.com/product-page/overcycles-sound-pack-for-elektron-model-cycles - $5!!!

Worth checking out, I’m sure…

Those were the two I found when I went searching. I’m fairly sure the wavparty one is donationware … so you could get it for free, but …

You are absolutely correct! I just saw the ‘FREE’ banner on the page but hadn’t got them yet. When I clicked on that there was an option to pay if you want and as there were some really interesting sounds in the demo I watched I thought it only fair to push some cash their way.

1 Like

I like to use the random LFO on the fine tune parameter instead, usually with a fade out. Creates a more dirty sound.