Where are the Model Cycles Soundpacks?

It’s called Multi:Cycled

2 Likes

…cycles is very versatile…and i don’t see the need for further machines…
in slim down fm machines, these existing six cover it all pretty fine…

keep in mind, that the four essential parameter knobs do different things on different machines and that they are always interpolating in interaction between each other…so tonal colours change a lot when tweaking different ratios for all four parameter makro knobs individually to each other…and that each machine can be played chromaticly…

reallly no need for further machines…same with presets…
and for now, they will need all their resources to get that machinedrum meets monomachine thing in a digifootprint going, we’re all waiting for…
that one will also have inner machines/engines for individually dedicated sonic jobs…
and for that box they will invent new synthesis gimmicks for sure…

so if cycles is really not enough, the d tone is always out there for u…

3 Likes

Respectfully, I disagree.

The chord machine, for all its magic and strengths can’t get dirty or noisy like a poly patch on the Digitone or MM can. No matter how much you turn up the Dist.
If I want a dirty chord, I’m using 3-4 tracks of other machines to make it work, which is unfortunately not that efficient.

There’s also no real way to get a clap out the Cycles.

The hats sound great, but they are a distinct flavor that has distinct boundaries it cannot move beyond.

While I agree that it is capable of a wide variety of sounds, I think it has some obvious gaps in sounds it cannot do.

The tracks I make with it keep me painting within certain lines. This isn’t a bad thing, or a great thing either. It is simply the way it is. It is nice to have it as a creative option when I get into a rut with my other tools.

That said, I don’t necessarily expect a $300 groovebox (that is already rather deep for its price) to get such updates and additions. I’d be a fool to expect that it should be able to make the myriad sounds that the DN or A4 can.

12 Likes

I like snares and claps from the volca drum way more, in fact I think it is excellent in that regard. Both together make a nice combo

2 Likes

A dirty chord machine sounds like it’d be right up my alley. I think Ess said in the launch event or on Twitch that a clap machine would be an obvious machine to add next (but no promises, etc etc). Personally, I’d love a string machine a la OP-1 too. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I think that the problem for me is I already have a Digitone. So going from the Digitone to my MC I always feel a little “meh”. It’s kind of like how I felt after receiving my Model Samples after owning a Digitakt for years.

2 Likes

I guess in a lot of ways I was expecting more. Don’t get me wrong I still like the thing but not being able to use multiple machine modulations on a single sound is frustrating. I didn’t realize that they were coming out with a new unit so quickly, but I still would have expected them to come out with something besides a small free sound pack for a unit that they sold the crap out of.

Maybe I’m just spoiled from working beta projects with Synthstrom, but I expected a little more from Elektron on this one.

A string machine would be amazing! What a great idea. I have to give it to Elektron though when they announced an FM groovebox this was not what I expected. I would love a single cycle machine where you can mod basic waveforms.

1 Like

Yes for sure. Strings in the OP-1 or Ableton Tension style would be awesome. With options for how the string is struck or bowed etc, but I guess it’s more physical modelling rather than FM - I dunno, I’m no expert in the science behind these things. For single cycles, can you not revert to your M:S or, even better, your Digitakt?

Just to be crystal clear, reeloy’s comment about the Machinedrum/Monomachine hybrid is pure wishful speculation and not based upon any kind of announcement or even evidence.

1 Like

I think that mentality is kind of the issue with the direction that Elektron has started taking. In taking steps backwards to create low cost machines to bring their gear to the hands of the volca minded masses I feel that they have at least in a small way abandoned their long time customers who already have digitakts and digitones.

I could definitely use my Digitakt or MS to do that, but ultimately I would enjoy being able to do something similar with the MC. A lot of the times when I’m playing around I’ll try to create sets with single instruments or boxes so having a Swiss Army knife groovebox that can achieve simpler sounds was what i was looking for when purchasing this. From that point of view I’m not sure there is anything I could do with the MC that I couldn’t do quicker with my Digitone and have it sound better. Living in the Bay Area space is always a concern so most of time I’m not trying to take over my whole apartment by setting up every piece of Elektron gear that I own.

1 Like

Hmm, sounds to me that you just don’t really like the models series tbh. Have you considered just using your Digis instead and selling the others? For me, personally, I can’t wait to have 10 tracks of FM goodness with each box doing slightly different things for variations. Sometimes, I’ll want to use the unison and drums of DN, sometimes flip drums onto M:C and/or run that chord machine, but I find I regularly run out of tracks on the DN and need to sample stuff off to the OT to continue with my track. With M:C (when it arrives) and DN, I won’t have to commit so early on in the process.

3 Likes

I thought about making a sound pack of some harder/more experimental sounds, but every time I sit down with the M:C I end up making a bunch of music with it instead of just sounds. Maybe I’ll do a pack of everything I’ve made on my streams so far :metal:

5 Likes

I like using my models for traveling. They also do pair with the digi boxes well. I had a blast with the Tone Cycles combo yesterday. Don’t get me wrong they are a blast to play, I would just like to be able to achieve more classic synth sounds with the machines. I like the set ups of the models too. I use them a lot when doing percussion in jam sessions with other electronic artists. They fit really well in the mix.

1 Like

Haha! Sounds like me. I JUST started making my own sounds yesterday after having the box for almost two weeks.

You don’t have the cycles yet?!?! Once you try it out let me know if you see what I’m talking about.

1 Like

I don’t even have one of these bad boys, but further machines are on the horizon I’m sure.
Drip fed like bunnies…

And that’s a +

1 Like

Yep I missed the boat by being too poor at the time of release. But an Elektronaut has shipped me his unit. Just with all the shit happening right now, it seems that it’s stuck in Germany. Been more than a week now. Can’t wait to try it out!

It is a magnificent machine for the price. Actually I would pay more for it now that I’ve worked with it and made all these beats that fit my DN patterns so well. I’m really surprised by its range of sounds and timbres.

Exaaaactly :star_struck:

Regarding the machines/algorithms I can easily imagine more coming. Why not? Definitely with FM much more is possible.
I’d like to see a very applied glitch machine.

4 Likes