When you Prefer the Cover to the Original

Perhaps lazy is the intention? Create the simulcra of the song, nostalgia for the original.

Cheaper to license, more sales inspired because of the intimate inoffensiveness of the cover.

Emotions plucked, but only those positive for consumption.

This one gets me every time, he really dug into the lyrics and made it his own.

8 Likes

One of my favourite covers:

3 Likes
7 Likes

Talking of the Sisters… do different versions count? Watch bottom/original first, if you don’t know them?

Temple of Love (1992) - The Sisters of Mercy feat. Ofra Haza

Temple of Love (1983) - The Sisters of Mercy

5 Likes

Not a cover, but this remix has been one of my favourite re-takes on a song like, ever. Almost 20 years now.

1 Like

Ah, but it’s impossible for anyone’s cover to be better than the original, even the Sisters of Mercy.

Not better, but almost equal:

Equal to Soft Cell’s cover in its greatness (but thinking about it, the original Gloria Jones recording is still pretty amazing):

4 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, good one!
Still I think Manson wins … :wink:

2 Likes

Mad World - Gary Jules

Not So Manic Now - Dubstar

London Grammar - Nightcall

Sinead O’Connor - Nothing Compares To You

Chris Cornell version is also great

5 Likes

Original: Sisters of Mercy

2 Likes

Heh…also thought about that one. Really excellent cover, but still not beating the original for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

… stunning ! sassy and swinging … loved that !

and (just in case) for the younger viewers …

… it was a little bit disconcerting to progressively realise in later years just how many specials’ classics were in fact covers … still all special of course

3 Likes

coil did a great version of tainted love, the only one the comes close to the original, for my ears, just love the original

don’t know if it qualifies as cover, as far as I understood it’s based an a lou reed song, fits my corona mood anyway

2 Likes

with original I was referring to the soft cell version, which is a cover too

2 Likes

Absolutely - it’s one of the ways I got into original two-tone and ska records; so many great things to discover.

1 Like

For me if a cover is going to beat the original it has to take the original emotion and amplify with their own, and when equipped with the right performance it’s a beautiful thing.

These two are perfect covers IMO:

Jose Feliciano - California Dreamin’

Johnny Cash - Hurt:

3 Likes

10x better imho

1 Like

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees - so good.

A bit controversial but I prefer Easy All Stars version of Speak to me / Breathe.

I know it says its a remix, but I’m still including it.

1 Like