When did having the original box become a thing?

Yeah, it’s getting silly.
Using the box as a metric of value is ridiculous.

I just sold a pedal and one inquiry I got was: “Does it come with the box and accessories or any extras?”

Extras? Like what? A Pizza Hut voucher?

1 Like

I saw written in the manual of my Expressive E Touché that repairs under manufacturer’s warranty is void when you cannot return the product in its original box, for safety purpose so they say. Not sure if it’s 100% fair and legal here in France, but yeah, there’s that to consider when keeping the box. Read carefully your product’s warranty.

Limited to a small, crowded den for my synths. Sorry boxes, you no fit.

1 Like

Since eBay.

Certain people keep them with because they want to baby their instruments, which I guess I can, if not empathize, see some logic with. Others see that as some sort of designator of babied instruments, and thus are obsessed with that idea.

I try to keep mine because others may want them… then when I go to sell I find the most convenient box and may forget it entirely! So I ship plenty of gear in other boxes’ gear :frowning:

Yeah, I respond very directly and simply with some of that crowd.

Keep all your boxes and do not tear off the plastic screen covers either.

1 Like

I dont overthink it. If I didn’t have the space I would toss them. I do so they get kept. Sometimes comes in useful if postage required in a sale. Also useful when moving house. Don’t really think of them in value terms, though it does tend to indicate a person who takes care of their gear. I have come across eBay sales of just the packaging though. That’s kinda pushing it.

4 Likes

Years ago I bought my machinedrum without a box, so ordered the box only from elektron :slight_smile: It was a light delivery.

1 Like

I keep mine, and generally used to keep boxes for most appliances, but that was when I knew there was going to be a couple of moves happening within the space of a few years.

More settled now but I still keep them - if I ever want to pack them away or sell them it’s there ready to go and don’t have to improvise.

I briefly considered making some kind of wall art baffle with some of them, like some kind of 3d collage of gear posters… I didn’t though

2 Likes

The Sweetwater sweets they sent with the original purchase 20 years ago?

I have a Monomachine or Machinedrum box that someone sent me something similarly sized in a few years back if anyone wants it and I can find it in a cupboard full of safely stored empty boxes - which is why I can’t remember which one it is. Bidding starts at 50 € * It’ll be sent safely packed… :wink:

(* This is a joke. More seriously, if anyone really wants it, drop me a PM and something can be sorted out for the cost of postage, I’m sure).

1 Like

I’ve kept the original boxes with everything I’ve bought, well, basically since I started buying gear 20 years ago. You can add at least an extra 10-20% (sometimes more like 200% if it’s a rarity) to the resale price if you have the original box and manuals in good shape.

4 Likes

Not to mention, it is extremely more practical to pack for shipping if you ever sell !

3 Likes

Yeah, but the seller should wrap the box in paper or something. Otherwise the tape will ruin the box :blush:

3 Likes

I always put boxes in boxes…:stuck_out_tongue:

Kudos to asm for having an asm printed box which fits perfectly around their asm printed box in which you’ll find your synth. :smile:

6 Likes

I think in the UK it is not legal to require the original packaging if something is faulty.
Returning something because you don’t want it is discretionary on the retailer and they’ll usually specify that the original packaging is needed because they’re going to restock the item.

I keep boxes for most things - not always the outer box - and certainly for anything with a large screen/flat area.
Even so, I also then flightcase a lot of items.
I never had the luxury of flight cases when I was actually doing gigs.
I’ve not done any since I started flightcasing things up!

2 Likes

There’s actually a guy in our local gear marketplace who’s had a notice up for pedal boxes up for ages. I guess he collects old Boss & EHX pedals.

1 Like

I don’t believe this to be true. I can see the extra 10% in pretty extreme cases. like a TR 808 or something. but not much beyond that.

Experience tells me otherwise.

I think, just my POV, is having the original box means you have the right packing materials to ensure a safe shipment. Proper cut foam pieces, snug fit with sensitive parts not pressing against the box.

The bonus for me is that all that foam didn’t go straight into the trash doubling the garbage on a resale.

If it’s just to have the original packing….that’s just f**cking stupid. :rofl:

1 Like

I prefer to get the original power supply and cables too.

1 Like

Question is, why would not want the original box when buying something second hand? It’s purposely made for it, keeps it as safe as possible, feels better when opening it up, etc.

7 Likes