When did having the original box become a thing?

From a buyers perspective:
I think that someone who offers an instrument with the original box takes more care of the stuff in general. From my experience I can tell that I never got a second hand instrument in bad condition that was sold with the original box. Original boxes are also good for shipping. They are designed to keep an instrument safe during transport.

14 Likes

Yes, when I got a second-hand DT it was reassuring to know that it came in the original box (and with the protective lid). And it turned out to be in mint condition. And I’m keeping the box in case I ever sell it. I couldn’t care less about the box itself, tho.

Recently I got an OTmk2 and I’m keeping the box just in case, although I think I’ll never sell it.

They come new also like that, I remember being surprised that in the big Thomann box together with a few other items was this blank brown folded cardbox… with the Tanzbär inside.

Anyway, I don’t keep all the boxes anymore. I will keep most stuff anyway or give it to the kids at some point.

Update:

I guess I do use an intuitive price and novelty threshold regarding keeping boxes.

1 Like

I keep my boxes for other things…

I do agree about peace of mind when something second hand comes with the original box though…

11 Likes

If I buy new I always keep the box, if it is a decent box, because it makes shipping easier and means that in the event of selling or shipping for repair I don’t have to try to find a suitable inner box. Most of the time when shipping I double box. I just keep them in the loft/attic, often in the box the original box shipped in.

13 Likes

Yep, this. Now I have the space to store boxes, I keep all of them, just so that next time I move or need to ship stuff I can do so easily.

Last year, one of my monitors died and I needed to ship it off for servicing- I really wish I had kept the original box, as finding a suitably sturdy one for a heavy monitor for shipping and being able to pack it up safely was a huge pain…

3 Likes

Speakers/amps/heavy rackable: see above ^

Elektron boxes: they offer decent protective value for gear inside. Many times I’ve flown along with :elmd: checked in (well, packed in Deuter AirContactPro backpack), and actually had a peace of mind knowing that it is suspended safe and airport-thrower-proof in original box.

Yes I do always reinforce the boxes with good Scotch tape, and sometimes I reinforce their corners.

I keep all my boxes in case I ever want to sell. But I never sell anything anymore :rofl:

3 Likes

just threw out a bunch of original boxes and outer boxes, and thought to find a topic about it. seems the most relevant one…

I generally keep boxes (original and outer) for a little while until I’m sure I want to keep the thing. or until they become overwhelming in my basement and I can barely move past them to get to my bikes. like just happened. then I purge. I’ll keep boxes around forever that are hard to find though; like the kind appropriate for shipping something heavy/big/awkward. but boxes to ship effect pedals or something the size of an Elektron box? we get those coming into the house several times a week.

packing material, though? I jam that into the aforementioned “keeper” boxes and save it until I need it. it sucks paying $20 for a giant roll of bubble wrap just to ship something.

1 Like

I guess keeping the box became a thing since people buy their stuff mostly online. Whether new to be able to send it adequately back or also used market to ship it around and give the impression of having taken good care of the piece of gear. Anonymous trades have other criterias than directly from person to person including a test drive before buying.

When people realized it makes shipping easier and more reliable.

4 Likes

when people started calling apple computer boxes works of art

1 Like

My last used synth came in a Box for a Blow up Doll. Try explaining that.

8 Likes

I think buying vintage synths for several years cured me of caring about original boxes. VERY rare to find original boxes there. good packing is more important. and often people pack way better than the manufacturer did anyway.

if something has an original box, yeah I may lean that way, all else being equal. but condition, price and a reputable seller (i.e. they know how to pack) is more important.

1 Like

I sell all the gear but keep the original boxes. Then I built a little fort of dreams.

19 Likes

Just saying.

3 Likes

Any chance on 29k followers on YT if i’ll be the first to upload vids showing how satisfying it is to box gear instead of unboxing? First frames me gently blowing of dust in slowmo and next smashing my house to pieces out of total frustration because it hardly ever goes back in as it came out.

5 Likes

I usually stop responding if a person asks about the box. I think it’s a silly question. Ironically, I do keep all the boxes for the all the gear I have.

When I buy used gear, I’m more concerned about the unit actually working rather than the cardboard it came in.

1 Like

Discrete packaging so you don’t have to explain another synth purchase to a significant other?

9 Likes

…started to happen when more and more hobby users became a serious market…
and many of those think in resell values from the day they buy it…
way more collectors mindset, than musician mindset…
and collectors just love original boxes in which their collector items came with…

2 Likes