What's your TECHNO setup

I had to laugh really hard about this one! So true, though! And you’re 50% less acrobatic with your fingers.:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Current setup:
Virus Ti for Synth stuff
TR8S for drums
OT for Sample work like pads, but also my packs of kicks with way too much reverb on live here.
Also 2 return tracks for the TR8S and the Virus.
Now, the A4 just got added to the gang for an unusual workflow. With the latest update I installed came the class compliant usb drivers and so I use the A4 as FX box and interface for my smartphone.
What I do with it?
I have a couple performance setup for fx throws and filtering. The Main out is routed into the smartphone. So I can shoot short clips for Instagram with super sound quality. No uploading to the PC, no editing, no extra sound recording. Just hit rec on the cam, done.
Also the A4 filter drive adds some nice warmth and glues thing nicely together. Love it!

Here’s a pic of the gang:

12 Likes

Haha, yeah^^ At least 50% less acro! :rofl:

That’s quite clever! I’ve never tried that, can you give me a quick rundown how you’ve set it up? IOS or Android? Is it as simple as selecting usb audio as cam input?

I love running my OT drums through AK filters! Sounds lovely! I setup macros for stereo filter control, envelope and lfos as well as send fx level, delay feedback and reverb decay.
A little filter distortion can sound amazing on drums (also audio rate lfos with fade out or lfo depth modulated by envelope) and offsetting lfo speed on left or right is a great way to break up drums.
Really makes me want to buy an A4 to use as dedicated filterbank and fx processor.

With macros it’s possible to have a combined high pass/low pass filter control (dj style ccw is low pass, cw is high pass), one knob for lp resonance, one for hp resonance - Ladder filter as low pass, multimode as highpass, use a bipolar macro and set up so that turning left closes the ladder filter, turning right closes the high pass.

1 Like

Here’s my current techno setup. Funny thing is that I haven’t actually made any techno with it yet. (hoping to change that over the long weekend this week) At the moment, I’ve just been improvising some acidy hip hop type things. When I go for the techno, I will have to move the Tracker down front and center. :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah sure: It’s an Android phone and all you really need is a free camera app called 'Open Camera. It has all the options and parameters you could wish for. Under video options you can simply choose external mic and that’s it.
You need a little adapter cable though. It’s USB OTG to micro USB.

I like your macros! Right now I have just setup something to test and play. Will expand this new dimension! :weight_lifting_man:t2:‍♂:sunglasses::v:

1 Like

Currently looking for a 3 OSC module to compliment Digitone Keys and Digitakt in my Techno setup…

So far I been looking at either:

• Access Virus A rack
  • Access Virus B or C desktop
  • Nord Lead 2x Rack
  • Novation Nova desktop

Anyone add some interesting 3 OSC synth here feel free…

Thx

Rob

1 Like

You might need a few other things to go with it… :wink:

3 Likes

I have a Nord Rack 2x, it is a good synth it is a 2 Oscillator, a classic, you can create classic stabs lead and dub techno chord

It is not my first choice for techno, I prefer a semi modular mono synth

1 Like

I used to have the Novation Nova Desktop and KB 24 voice, I can get a desktop in as new condition, 6 parts, maybe control from Digitakt?

I am not sure what techno you are into, for me the novation nova sounded too trancey at the time.

It does not have that convincing techno sound.
Are you looking for leads, bass, chords, pads or drones?

1 Like

I’ll be designing my own sounds, mainly chords, noises and other weird stuff. I always remember it being trance orientated however I’d wipe those sounds and add new stuff as I go.

1 Like

I would suggest a Virus Indigo

You definitely need polyphony, 2/ 3 OSC, noise OSC and little menu diving for deep dive into great sound design

Going back to a simple full Elektron setup, evolving stems and loops in the OT, AR samples in the M:S, getting straight to the point, enough for a full live set.

13 Likes

I would think the A4 would be the first choice (if you consider the sub osc as extra oscillators) but the Nord can be very techno sounding if required, and the drum maps give you a huge palette of percussion sounds.

1 Like

I love it

1 Like

Look into the new Audiothingies Micromonsta 2.

2 Likes

I tweaked my setup quite a lot since I moved into a new space with more room, and decided to take the drums our of the modular and finally go for a drum machine. I went with the Jomox Alphabase and so far I’m very happy with it. It sounds great, and the workflow is really far from the nightmare stories you read on the internet.

So with the drum modules gone I have some space available and decided to consolidate the Verbos case with the missing Verbos modules, namely the Harmonic Oscillator and Scan & Pan. They aren’t there yet though.

Also got a bigger interface to be able to multitrack my live takes, especially the individual outs our the Alphabase, and have my Space/H9/Xfilter as send return within Ableton. I’ll be mixing ITB. I have yet to set all this up though.

Here’s what it sounds like with just the Alphabase and a short Complex Oscillator sequence :

9 Likes

This for live at the moment. Got a bunch of other hardware synths but this does for live

12 Likes

Nordlead 2 owner here: Only thing that’s really missing are clocked LFOs and maybe a second filter.
OSC wise can always double things up by hitting more keys or you jump to another sound and layer it. You know, you can play up 4 different patches at once?
Couple it up with something that has a lot of midi power like an OT or DT, add their FX or any pedal and you have a super potent combo for you techno-needs!
Actually, I think I need to dust of mine and make a while set with it :thinking:

5 Likes

You can do midi clock LFO’s