What's your TECHNO setup

The real question is : When you press play on the Master, do you have everything playing and synced up?

1 Like

Pretty much, everything is on patchbays, even the midi, so can set up anything to be master, and can route pretty much any audio to anywhere. But no DAW and not enough hands :laughing:

3 Likes

When he presses play lights dim all across the neighbourhood.

26 Likes

Actually total current draw is about 2 amps, pretty surprising eh?

2 Likes

Octatrack MK1
Model:Samples
Alesis MicroLimiter
MIDI Fighter Twister
Charo River USB MIDI Host

gets the job done!

21 Likes

Contsantly changes, but currently…

31 Likes

I’ve acquired the pieces I want and I had intended on having them all usable for live together but I’m going to make physical and logical separation of it all. So, two distinct setups that can be performed on all for the same set or as stand alone setups.

Setup 1:

• TR8-S
  • Analog 4 MKII
  • SH01-A (running into a Strymon Timeline then through the A4)

Setup 2:

• Octatrack MKII
  • Digitone
  • SE-02 (running through a Strymon El Capistan)
  • Digtone into OT. Cue loop goes into Red Panda Particle v2 then Strymon Bigsky.

Mixer is a Soundcraft Signature 12 (non MTK). Analog Heat MKII and FMR RNC will likely be fed from the sub group out and back into the mixer out the mains.

Waiting on some parts to finish building the cases. I was going to have the gear in two separate cases with the mixer, multiclock, and master processing in a third. Might consolidate to two cases. Nothing set in stone yet.

Those are my two mini setups for what will be my live performance. Either side can stand on its own though or be combined for something bigger.

5 Likes

My most minimal setup :

M:C into an EHX Platform

6 Likes

I performed two sets for my coworkers using only a Digitone. You can listen to a recording of the second time I played.

4 Likes

I’ve always liked to change it up a lot. Almost any piece of gear can work for that genre family. Kinda part of the beauty of it. Low device count is important for me when live (which is the most appropriate way to make/ hear it).
One of my favorite live tekno sets I’ve played was done with korg er1, adrenalinn, moogerfooger ring modulator, and a mackie 1202. Might be my favorite set up. Def had my biggest dance floor to date.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with model:cycles, dsi evolver desktop, volca kick, and mackie 1202. Might add fx but trying not to. Pretty happy with it but you never really know until you’re pumping it through a few thousand watts of subs in a warehouse. Time will tell.
I have better mixers but the 1202 is perfect for tekno, both in sound and functionality.

2 Likes

What’s prompting you to get rid of the MPC X?

Analog Rytm MK1 & Digitone - all you need!

20 Likes

I’ve used the same setup and love it! The nyx is otherwordly.

Here’s mine. A4 (mainly drums, sequencing, FX), DT (samples), DFAM (percussion, weird noises) and 0-Coast, plus not pictured an AH for spicing things up:

I sometimes add other stuff too, but tend to gravitate around this lot.

7 Likes

There’s a Quadraverb off to the side but this is my little techno (and pretty much whatever else I want to do) island.
If I’m doing techno with it I tend to only use 3 things at a time or I use the Digitakt very minimally alongside the analogue gear.

30 Likes

Nice! Case looks like you play out live with this?

Not yet, but it is part of the plan.

Occasionaly iPad added too.

21 Likes

@rob_lee do you actually make music or do you just shuffle gear around?

4 Likes

Actually I’m using a mackie 1202 vlz4 as my mixer, with a kaoss pad 3 in the 3/4 aux.

• Digitakt for my drums, some samples and master. A lot of the times I sequence there the bass of any other machine. This way I can have kick and bass mute control in the same place.
  • Electribe EMX as my substractive synth, and sometimes i use the drums samples to make weird percs sounds. Currently I sent it to put new tubes, and make it the mute mod.
  • Digitone: As my FM synth, and “acid” machine
  • TT-303 mk2, with a MXR Distortion Plus and a Copy Carbon for delay.

Sometimes to reduce the set I only take 3 machines with me but lately i’m thinking to change the digitakt for another drum machine, because when i’m making acid the lack of kits it’s a hassle when I want simple 909 drums but changing a lot of patterns through the live. The TR-8s seems very nice for this kind of things, better than Analog Rytm, I’m very used to do my own kicks so I could put them inside the roland.

1 Like