What's your TECHNO setup

Very good! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely love how you’ve done that video with the rave in the background and nice tunes as well.

2 Likes

My current techno setup:

Gear: OT + DN + DT

FX1: DIG delay for Digitakt (super concise/transient defined delays, easy control because of the the two separate delays with different tempo signatures)
FX2: Empress Reverb is great for Digitone partly because of the reverb+delay, that has dedicated low/high pots, which I use to hone in on different voices of the DN (f.e. only delaying bass or lead sound).
FX3: Strymon Timeline on OT Cue Out, together with a simple Polara reverb. Some doubts with the Timeline, less control on high/low pass for a master-FX send. Sometimes I feel the delays, even on full volume, are not that loud or defined. (as opposed to DIG for example)

Most recent addition: Heat. So far not understanding all the possibilities, but already helping my sound a lot. Which can be a bit too clean for what I’m aiming for, with DT and DN both being very high-fi/clean sounding.
And a cheap second hand but nice sounding Soundcraft mixing desk (EPM8)

Most recent example of a track with this setup below. Cheers!

1 Like

Try enabling the global setting for Kill Dry mode. Might help if you’re using it in a Send/Return type routing.

1 Like

Try the Master drive setting on the DN. It does really nice things ;).

4 Likes

Proof is here :wink: (with sysex!)

5 Likes

I tend to define it as electro with a variable tinge of industrial/EBM.

Brilliant,
kind of puts in perspective some of the discussions we have around here. I should probably bookmark this video and run it every time I think I need more stuff.

1 Like

Fairly simple set up, I just record a stereo mix from this into a DAW, as if it was a tape machine. I have an Ensoniq DP/2 in the shop, the only other thing I want is some kind of rack digital synth or sampler.

Mackie CR-1604
Alesis Wedge
Digitech Obscura
Boss SE-50
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Digitakt
Digitone
Behringer Pro-1
Roland SH-01A
Roland Alpha Juno 2, with JunoCtrl

Most recent release right here:

17 Likes

Alpha Juno and a leprosy poster.
I like the way this is going…

7 Likes

Man, I used to rinse that set of yours at work! Dope stuff.

2 Likes

<3

1 Like

i like mostly to dub anything that makes noise with a allen heath zed 10 mixer + some 20€ delaypedal and reverb on the sends. usually i put the reverb and the delay on own channels in the mixer because i like the rumbling and swelling type of techno. just fill up the channels on the mixer with different grooveboxes/synths etc. and jam it out. sometimes i just like to code stuff on one of the elektrons. So my setup change all the time but for straight on jamming dunkel techno anything that can loop goes (cheaper is better). GLAD MIDSOMMAR ALLIHOPA och BRÄNN INT NER STÅNGEN FÖ FAN

6 Likes

That death poster tho :metal:

4 Likes

This is nice. Everything in a case together.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @noan1— great looking kit there. Well done. Love to hear some of what you produce out of that. I’d love an xone mixer— people say the effects make it an instrument (DB4 anyway).

Don’t really know much about techno. Except sometimes I dance around the house whispering “n-t-n-t-n-t-n-t”.

3 Likes

Yo! We’re kinda in a similar boat. I like the MBase11, but if I had to I think I could just use samples in the OT for kicks. Had a TD-3 and replaced it with the DB-01 (can deviate from the 303 sound, thought he TD3 is excellent for the classic sound). Might have to add it back in for some polymeter bleeps. Just added the DN, and the Impact. On the fence with the Impact, but I like having analog drums to mix with digital samples. FMR RNL could do without if had to, but it just gets things to level and keeps it tamed. Also, had a Source Audio Collider, but found that I could do just fine with the OT onboard FX. You gotta get a Analog Heat or a Boum! I have an MPC Live, but couldn’t get along with the step sequencer for technos. For boom bap it’s great.

What you use the X for mainly?

7 Likes

Mostly use the X for sampling mate it’s the best out there IMO.

I have the MBase and MBrane 11’s and I just wish there was other little modules out there that just did claps/hats would have been great if Jomox had released like a cymbals module or something in the same form as the other 2.

Been searching online everywhere to find stuff that does this in pedal format or the same as the Jomox boxes with no luck… only way I can find how to do it is get Eurorack drum modules but that’s way expensive. Don’t need another drum machine so it’ll be samples n stuff for me but the DT will control MBase and MBrane I just love the sound.

1 Like

i love the way that these two filthy animals are talking to each other

Add any Elektron machine for drums and you’re ready for some techno :smiley:

7 Likes