What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Too late… :rofl:

Also Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986).

2 Likes

I’m thinking that the Doctor A could be a good purchase. :thinking:

I’ve got the Ventris not only use 4 of the algorithms typically. That has lead me to think about swapping out for the collider. Then I saw your post about the Doctor A.

A couple of months in . . . How’s it turning out for you if you don’t mind me asking?

Hello! Still very happy with the Doctor A… I love the clarity and immediacy of the layout and the controls, which for me favor real-time manipulation of delay and reverb. I also very much like the sound of the algorithms - it can accomplish everything I need, from providing a bit of depth and glue to creating huge ambient soundscapes. I had the Source Audio Collider before (which I also liked), and I think the Doctor A simply invites much more actual playing with the effects parameters. On a minor note, I also appreciate that it does not have have the typical pedal footswitches and layout. It takes a bit more space than a typical fx pedal, but I also find it more adapted for use with synths. Another (not so minor) point of comparison with the Audio Source pedals: having the ins and outs on the back (instead of the two opposite sides) makes it easier to place it on my desk.

PS: There is also a dedicated thread on the Audiothingies Doctor A on the forum…

1 Like

Cheers @ccr. That’s great to hear.

I’ve got the BIM and BAM from OTO machines and really like them.

I was wondering how the sound of the reverb on the Doctor A compares to the Ventris. I find the Ventris really clean and lush; can you get this similar tones from the Doctor A?
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Yes, it is very clean and lush as well. I posted a link to two brief recordings in the Doctor A thread - I think they demonstrate the kind of “lushness” that one can get: Audiothingies Doctor A - #34 by ccr

I bought a second-hand Roland TB-03.

Intentions:

• learn about this “acidic house” music that I hear is all the rage with the young people … for the last 34 years, and
  • try out that sequencer on some interesting CV/Gate sound generators.
16 Likes

Preordered a MI Beads. I also purchased a few more books with the intention to learn more about KLF.

10 Likes

Arrived 5pm today…

LEXOCON MX400 like new no rack rash absolutely mint

LEXICON MX200 as above as new

FURMAN M10-LXE and M10-XE

Shitload of extensions 0.5m

Intentions - Rack em up

8 Likes

I remember reading Anton’s whole series when I was 19 and thinking to myself “this is it, proof that there is a cult of overloads ruling the world!”. I smoked a lot of pot and dropped a few viles of cid during that time. Will say that it made me more keen to spot bullshit now-a-days. Fun reads nonetheless. I’ll never forget the image of an elderly Robert Anton Wilson in a wheelchair holding up his prescription of medical Marijuana with glee, just after Cali voted it legal.

1 Like

Don’t know what klf is but the illumimatus trilogy is great! Hail Eris

1 Like

Fabulous. Thanks so much for your help. :+1:t3:

Trust me, look up The KLF. I only heard about them last week and have already become obsessed.

2 Likes

That statement makes me feel very old :see_no_evil::joy:

11 Likes

I used to have an MPX100 until it went flaky. Before that it was the best reverb I owned!

2 Likes

Lately Iv’e been browsing synths online Bunker and they just don’t make them like they used to… I had Lexicons years ago but I’m quite happy with these new ones… Scored the MX400 for £134 and the MX200 for £72 so a bargain I think… I don’t like all this new stuff around now I live in the past haha

1 Like

Yeah I’ve had a few eBay buys over the last 12 months or so but at one time almost everything I bought was used off eBay. Most recent gem from there was prob the Korg DSS 1. A behemoth in terms of size alone!

I’m gonna sell my new Digitakt and Digitone Keys mate I bought them last June opened the box tested the encoders then back in the box never seen daylight after I updated the OS… Been doing renovations here Iv’e been demoted to a room about 3m x 2m FFS as one of the daughters fooked off and got a flat haha so I’m just keeping what I think I’ll use… I have the MPCX and that basically does what I want sequencing wise so I’ll sell the Elektrons maybe get an A4 at Christmas.

My fav ever synth was my NOVATION NOVA II XL

2 Likes

I picked up a Novation UltraNova from Cash Converters last year. I really like that. But there’s lots of Peak love going on here too :+1:

1 Like

Again… I’d choose any old gear over the new mate like I’d rather have a Nova than a Peak but the kids of today need all this new crap lol… As for ELEKTRON they’re missing a trick here with their stuff if I were them Id re-issue the Machine Drum and Mono Machine… the new stuff just bores the tits off me… Iv’e always had Akai’s 25yrs+ and they never fail me mate.

2 Likes