What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

How many LFOs you using on that massager ?

6 Likes

Hope it clicks with you. Referencing is important. Have fun!

1 Like

This thing is nice. Really giving me a good idea of where my kick and bassline are clashing. Also helps to clean up mud in my chord pads, knowing exactly how much low freq to cut. I’ll have to keep using it to get a better feel for it.

4 Likes

Can you hear bass from another room? More feeling it?

In your…back! :content:
I prefer the last model…

4 Likes

Haven’t tried listening from another room yet, but you can hear it vibrating for sure. Feel it more than hear it though.

1 Like

Okay I’ll play:

Analog Four mk I

Last year I decided that I was going to get back into making music. I’d been away from it for a while. I got an MPC Live, Korg Minilogue and a Blofeld. It wasn’t enough though so I bought a Digitone because I’ve always loved FM.

For a long time none of that stuff really worked well together. One day I grabbed the Digitone out of the pile of cables and sat on my bed and started making music with it. I just kind of “Got it” suddenly and it all began to gel in my head. Full songs all on one tiny machine with only four tracks!

but then a few weeks ago I got greedy and wanted more sounds and tracks so I bought an Octotrack. Oh man, now I’m in it.

The one complainant I have about FM is that I can’t really make very good string and pad sounds with it. At least, not the kind that I like. So last week I got really greedy and picked up a used Analog four mk I for that warm fuzzy feeling. The funny thing is that now I’ve just been sitting on my bed making songs with just that. :smiley: I need to figure out how to properly blend all these Elektron boxes together.

5 Likes

purchase: td-3.
plan: cover it in stickers

:smile:

6 Likes

Went to see Chilly Gonzales last night. What a revelation.

4 Likes

Soooo, I installed everything and done some preliminary tests.

My config is :
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte aorus I Pro WiFi (x570 chipset mini itx)
Noctua NHL12s
2*8 Corsair Vengeance ddr4 3200
GeForce gt 710
Power supply Silverstone st30 sf
Silverstone ml06 case.
500go Samsung SSD

Windows 10. 64 bits
Ableton Live 10.1

Rme madiface XT usb3

My first impression (nothing scientific here!) :

• great horse power @48khz 24bits with 64sample buffer. I get ~3.5ms round trip latency and no audio pops and clicks when I push the cpu simulator @80% with a test tone on Ableton Live.
    I tried to fill a dummy session with heavy plugin and processing, it seems solid under hi workloads.
    Yes!!!

• not so great @ 96khz. I can get a stable audio with a 128 buffer, 3ms round trip latency, but clicks and pops are happening when I push the cpu simulator over 50%. If I increase the buffer I still get pops @ 65-70% of the cpu simulator with ~6.5ms round trip. Meh.
    Also Real time SRC of my 48khz soundbanks seems quite cpu intensive. Not sure if the Ryzen performs better than my former intels cpu here.
    Note that I got similar results @96khz with my former Mac mini i7 8700b. Results @96khz seem to be in the same world…usable but seem to refuse to handle full loads, so it doesn’t seem that my new system is a game changer in that area. Maybe this behavior has nothing to do with the cpu, maybe it is something else…

• dpc latency tests are ok.
    I do get occasional potential interruption of the audio stream when I manually desactivate/activate WiFi, appart from every thing is ok. The longest interruptions I get come from the nvidia drivers, maybe I will try some day to test an entry level amd graphic card but doesn’t seem to be an issue anyway.

lastly I am a bit disappointed with the Noctua cpu fan. It can get a little bit noisy. Not too disturbing or whinnney but definitely not silent.
Can t say if it is because the Ryzen is hot or the Noctua is just a bit noisy. Or maybe it is the way my motherboard handles the fan. Don’t know.
I once had a i7 7700 with a Noctua NH l9*65, and by ear I was not able to tell if my computer was running or not, this fan was so silent. Strange…

Anyway I will do some further test in a real world scenario, I am a little concerned on the midi behavior when it is buffered outside of Ableton. I would recommend to use a bunch of Roland um one mk2 because of its dedicated drivers if you want to send midi in/out of your daw in windows. But…even if the situation was really better on Mac OS, I would still recommend to use it! So…

I had a 2018 Mac mini 8700b 16go. Now it’s gone. Sold it.
I think I can get similar or better results with this config for half the price! I think it is a keeper.
That said, sure the Mac was expensive but it was also really easy to sell and retained its value quite well!

2 Likes

I would try an AMD grafics card instead of the nvidia one. They sometimes cause exactly the CPU spikes you mention you have @ 96khz. I traded mine and feel like I have gained twice the horsepower.

Hey thanks, I am still in my return period so I think I will give it a shot!
Could you tell me which model you are using specifically? :slightly_smiling_face:

ASUS Radeon R5 230
really inexpensive and powerful enough if you are not gaming. made a big difference in my setup. I think any AMD will do

Thanks! I will try. I am reading things about it now and it seems that nvidia gave the option to tweak some latency modes on the latest firmware, i will also try!

Waldorf Blofeld desktop, for chromatic sample playback OTB. Excited to hook it up to the elektrons and see what I can get out of it. The BF keys was the first synth I ever messed with, I had no idea what it could do and thought it sucked because I couldnt figure out how to make 100% Silk-style house sounds.

I’d really love a Nord Wave but I don’t think thats ever going to happen, this thing was about 7x cheaper too!

1 Like

Should work nicely with the MD/MnM/DT. It reacts really well to program changes, so you can also use it as a drum kit with MD’s per step program change send.

Update: Yesterday the Analog 4 MKII arrived, absolutely love it… and now only 30 minutes ago the delivery man came with the Analog Rytm MKII… Bit pissed as they sent a Euro plug with it FFS :rage:
Will have to use the A4 power supply to check but here they are side by side.

15 Likes

how do you like the kyra? i messed around a bit at the shop but wasn’t overly impressed

I’ve not got really in to it lately but I’m supposed to do some factory sounds for it in a new OS update in the new year. Sounds fantastic tho.

Keep my Rytm company.

19 Likes

A new Rytm!! It’s just so beautiful! :blush: