Editing Q on flex machines

Hi there- having trouble figuring out why some of my flex samples are able to be editing after recording and others aren’t. All my tracks are set to flex. I notice the ones with a “recording #” before sample name are able to be edited but not others. This didn’t happen in my last project building my songs up. I’ve just dumped them all down and now having trouble editing a track after recording trig patterns I like. Sometimes little length edits really tighten things up for me and make new creative flows. Would love to get this going with the other samples. Maybe I need to save and assign these samples differently? Did it the same as always.
Thanks!
J

What do you mean by editing?
In Audio Editor, you should be able to edit any flex sample, recorded or not, saved or not.
Not while recording.

Hey there thanks for response- I should clarify I’m recording in splice mode- the idea is I can edit lengths/positions of sample to create different loops with the trig recordings I’ve made. Track one gives me this option of editing it in AED mode with it in splice mode. The rest of the tracks won’t work for some reason doing this besides the first one…

I guess you mean Slice. You can create or edit them after recording, not during recording.

1 Like

I’m a bit new to the Octotrack but I know that I try to never edit a recorder slot but instead, save the new recording to an empty Flex slot first. Then I edit it.

Actually, I find that’s good advice in general Maybe someone else has some better advice but: Never actively use a recorder slot sample. Always save it to an open sample slot first. You run the risk of accidentally recording over it otherwise.

Safer to save if you want to edit, for sure. But you can edit saved or not saved.

You mean not use recordings before saving?

Yes. Don’t use them because they will get overwritten if you accidentally arm them without thinking. Save them first. :slight_smile:

I play non saved recording all the time! :slightly_smiling_face:
OT can play recordings directly, and recordings can be mangled. Ex :
Plug a guitar
Place rec trigs each 2 steps
Place trigs each 2 steps on a Flex with the recording
Pitch 1 octave down > Bass sound.

That’s maybe OT main strength. Many applications, you can record Cue as an internal fx bus for example. I even resample tracks with their own recorders while playing recordings to create feedback…:loopy:

1 Like

Hey y’all I figured it out. Only one of the flex samples was in a “recorder” the others were in random slots below as mentioned here so have back up which I did but just were able to be edited how I wanted unless as I.E R1, R2 etc etc.
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, well like I said, I’m new to the Octotrack so stuff like that is dark arts to me. :wink:

EDIT: But to be fair what I’m talking about is using it like a sampler where you want to keep your samples. It sounds like what you’re talking about it more like using it as an FX processor for live looping/mangling where you don’t really care about keeping the recordings. Is that right?

Yes. But I do care about keeping recordings, some can be momentary. OT is much more than a looper or a multitrack tape recorder.

From the manual :

SUGGESTED APPLICATIONS OF THE OCTATRACK
2.1.1 LOOPER DEVICE The Octatrack MKII is ideal for DJ’s and live performers. You will be able to quickly sample a turntable or other sound sources present on the stage and instantly play back and affect the recorded loop. Add pre- recorded loops and sounds to samples captured in real-time to take your performance to a completely new level. The real-time timestretch will make sure everything stays in sync.
2.1.2 RADICAL SOUND PROCESSOR The combined power of the sampling engine, the sequencer and the FX blocks makes the Octatrack MKII a very powerful audio mangler. This functionality is great when working in the studio and wanting to obtain unique sounds and textures.
2.1.3 BACKING TRACK MACHINE…
2.1.4 LIVE SETUP HUB…
2.1.5 REMIX TOOL…
2.1.6 EFFECTS UNIT EXTRAORDINAIRE Chained FX blocks paired with automated real time sampling can warble and twist incoming audio in ways previously unachievable by a single machine. Two chains, each with 8 simultaneous effects, can be active at the same time.

4 times! Sorry, but I can’t let it go : OctAtrack ! :smile::octopus:

2 Likes

Hahaha! You know, I’ve only had it for about a month and to be honest I hadn’t even noticed that it was actually called Octatrack! I wrote Octotrack in just about every thread I’ve replied to related to it! Ugh! I’ve been staring at the damn thing and hadn’t even noticed! That’s embarrassing. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ot can playback while it samples. I’m doing that pretty much everyday (I love mangling wavetable pads on the Octatrack^^) and I’ve never accidentially overwritten a recording. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What happens to me is, I push the “part-reload” button out of habit but then realize I forgot to save the part before. Nr.1 hit-groove lost :smiley: The Octotrack demand discipline :smiley:

About saving recordings: The way I have it is, I clear all recordings before recording something new, only so that the records will be automatically named properly (It helps to be able to recognize the files as a group on the computer later on).
Then I do the “Save All Recordings” menu-option.
Next, I copy/paste the recorder-slots to flex-slots (I wish this could be done automatically in one step).

1 Like