What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

of course! i think i‘ll Go with the doepfer line of Buchla modules or hopefully the behringer maths and other modules drop soon

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/ohcoast definately check these out too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW8QYt6bio

2 Likes

Latest purchase “music” related: found a bunch of old 709 opamps at a electronic components store. They were probably sitting there for several decades. Manufactured in week 39 of 1973.

Now I can make a ‘Crackle Box’, check this video what it is. Yay, I’m excited! :smiley:

8 Likes

Nice! Ever played the landscape stereo field? Its kind of similar im told.

Intention is having fun with a real computer :wink:

26 Likes

@Zifor: Watched some videos, yes, there are similarities between the ‘Crackle Box’ and the ‘Landscape Stereo Field’. On the other hand, the ‘Crackle Box’ is way older and it’s a simple circuit, really. Although there are other ways to make something similar like the ‘Crackle Box’, it’s nice to make it just like the original version with that old opamp. That’s why I’m so happy I found some.

Looks like fun to play with the ‘Landscape Stereo Field’ (a bit pricey though), but it seems it’s limited the sounds it creates and how you control it. For DIY, I have some ideas how to make a digital, 8 bit monophonic synth (not to be confused with ‘chiptune’). On one hand it should sound cold and harsh, deliberately, and with digital artefacts. But on the other hand, it should offer a nice variety of sonic possibilities., more than the very simple digital circuits produce. In this thread I’m asking for info about the M:S, it has to do with the same project. Old school EBM, electro industrial as an inspiration, but I also like things like ‘Witch House’ especially what people from Russia are doing with it. I would like to use some elements of that too. So a digital sonic refrigerator would be useful.

1 Like

There’s one for sale ATM here in Finland. Costs 450€, but I’m very tempted despite that.

1 Like

That would be amazing! I tend to use my pro biscuit to achieve that sort of sound. Or if you are into euro the harvestman electronics modules would be right up your street! :slight_smile:

@Zifor: Everytime I hear ‘modular’ or "Eurorack’ I be like:
Lalala

Because I know when I start with that, I’ll be broke really really fast. :wink:

But seriously, I do follow a bit what’s going on in the modular world and there is some really cool stuff out there. I like to do DIY, wayback I started with stompboxes for our guitarist when I was the vocalist in a band.

4 Likes

Yeah I ended up paying 350 with shipping… if it turns out useful I’ll probably make a post about it. There was also one in terrible condition for 200 with ship but I didn’t want to mess with that considering my knowledge in fixing tape machines is pretty much change the belts and make basic adjustments.

1 Like

Sidstation Mk I

7 Likes

Freaky weird shit <3

15 Likes

@Ydu_r
DIY definately the way to go or else you’ll end up broke all the time ( like me). I have b&g shared system by MN and I am starting a skiff to expand it. Then another to get frap tools modules next year. It’s a slippery slope but there is nothing quite like it! :money_mouth_face::flying_saucer::toilet:

@Zifor: Yes, and sometimes people have no options. Watch this, there’s only one shop on his continent selling modules, too expensive anyways so he decided to go the DIY route. Pretty neat.

Looks like you’re getting deeper into it, if I started, no holding back most likely. Just getting back into music making, so trying to focus on what I need , not want. We’ll see how long that lasts… :wink:

1 Like

Di-Gi-Tone! Kept telling myself I didn’t care for FM but I totally caved. The DT+DN combo is on!! Just ran midi sync from OP-Z to DN holy moly that is some good fun :tongue:

3 Likes

Congrats on the Digitone!

I hear ya about FM, for the longest time I didn’t really hear the appeal of it, and then after poking around in FM8 and discovering the intricacies of FM synthesis it’s now my go-to synthesis source for wild and crazy sounds!

Enjoy it, that thing is a Pandora’s box of possibilities, especially with the operator offset update! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am so ready to push BUY on the ‘Tone also. Every demo I hear is so good. Are the effects the same as the DT?

1 Like

The reverb & delay seem the same however DN also has chorus. You can apply those fx (and overdrive) to the stereo input too! I’m still learning the box (only had it 2 days) but it shares a lot of the DT workflow so it’s been relatively easy to get going on it.

1 Like

@Zifor: Oh, forgot about this last night. Maybe you know it already, but here an album by Michel Waisvisz the inventor of the ‘Crackle Box’. With the title ‘Crackle’, not really surprising. :slight_smile:

Edit: Better demo of the 'Crackle Box:

(I was wondering how to include a video, finally I got it! lol)
3 Likes

Very true. I have seen this video! A lot of respect with that gentleman! Its really mind over matter stuff like that! The crackle box is very cool. It reminds me something Ciat Lombarde would come up with! Up experimental electronics!