What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Very true. I have seen this video! A lot of respect with that gentleman! Its really mind over matter stuff like that! The crackle box is very cool. It reminds me something Ciat Lombarde would come up with! Up experimental electronics!

@Zifor: Yes, perhaps we should do more experimental electronics and focus less on the stuff the manufacturers sell. I was thinking today about the ā€˜Crackle Boxā€™, how to expand it. It can make noises and that, now add something similar that produces a beat. By touching pads there should be variations how it sounds. Now, add a looper. Could be a ā€˜ChipRecorderā€™ like Winbond makes. You can solve the problem it doesnā€™t loop the playback, see here. Use two of these and you can ping pong between them. I wouldnā€™t use a 709 for the Crackle-part, but look at a 4046 instead, you can do a similar thing with those. A beat should be possible too with some 4000 series CMOS. Put it all together and you have a nice, lofi, ā€œgrooveboxā€. :slight_smile: Not sure it would work great with the Winbonds, probably the signal drowns in the noise after just a few takes. Maybe better to use one of those very cheap loopers for guitar. Take the guts out and put it in your own box. Itā€™s mostly about the sound engine, anyways.

1 Like

Addressed my lack of MIDI Thru by ordering this.

But I forgot to order MIDI cables. I put in an order for meeblipā€™s 4 pack a bit late, and wonā€™t get it until next week. So Iā€™ll have to wait a bit before I can start sequencing my Volcas w/ the iPad, using my Monologue as keyboard controller.

1 Like

Looks perfect for a DNā€¦

1 Like

Zoom f1 and ssh-6 shotgun mix w/mid side recording

Replaced my clunky h6 with this, I really like the small form factor of the recorder. Iā€™m also excited to have a mic I can get more isolated audio with!
I plan on taking this on my road trip next week. Iā€™ll be in Yosemite and the redwoods, so hopefully lots of great nature sounds. :grin:

12 Likes

Playing with my new AH mk2; it squeezes OT nicely! Mnm and MD are waiting their turn in the corner :slight_smile:

1 Like

My second Digitakt itā€™s here, I sold the first one when I needed a new acoustic guitar, but now I reacquired another one.

5 Likes

I just got this and I plan to look at the time from time to time :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Sharesies or it didnā€™t happen? Iā€™ve brought my h6 back out again and while I love it the form factor still makes me cringe a bit every time I use it.

That f1 looks marvelous.

Mmmā€¦ D6C :heart_eyes:

Share the samples from my road trip? Sorry I think Iā€™m misinterpreting that part of your comment ? :thinking:
I will after Iā€™m back! I leave a week from today.

1 Like

Very interesting @Ydu_r!
You could also put it in a DAW like reaper etc and then manipulate the tones and layer. Maybe then control it with a midi controller and also play the crackle box! So you create drums , pads , lead and noise all with the crackle alone! It would be a great project! I have never built a sampler before. Have you?

Let me know how you like the Heat when you use it with your Machinedrum. Iā€™ve always wanted something to warm / saturate the MD.

@Zifor: No, I havenā€™t, but it would be interesting. With a looper you can expand the possibilities already, your idea takes it another step forward. Looking at the hardware, maybe itā€™s possible to do it with stuff thatā€™s already available, Iā€™m thinking about a Raspberry Pi. Control of the Crackle Box thru midi should be not difficult. Add a A/D-converter and you can do processing in the box. But you can transfer the digital audio to a DAW for processing as well, so there are many possibilities.

Knowing the Tasty Chips GR-1 uses the RPi-3, and the new RPi is more powerful, it opens up a lot of interesting stuff. I think youā€™re looking approx. 200 euros to make one, with a quality touchscreen and other non-cheapskate components. Thereā€™s one thing on the downside, though: writing a lot of code is unavoidable. Iā€™ll think about it some more later, right now my timezone dicates I should be in bed at this time, if tomorrow is Monday. :wink:

1 Like

So the last 6 months I went on a selling / shopping frenzy and got some new toys. One might say Iā€™ve downsized but these all offer considerable power in small packages.

Usi Pro: up my field recording game, They live up to the hype.
Zoia: my OTs FX twin
Microvolt 3900: Id wanted a wavefolder forever. Fortunately this one comes with a ton of good fun.
iPhone SE: in addition to reducing the imposition of obnoxiously big screens, it will do minor MIDI duties (Atom, Rozeta, Ribn etc)

8 Likes

Nice - looking forward to hearing what you come up with (especially with OT/ZOIA). This is the first time Iā€™ve heard of the usi pro microphone(s). Where can I learn more? I think, at some point, Iā€™m going to do some work with acoustic sources.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s what a I meant. A silly joke. I wish I had time to walk around with my h6!

Have a great time!

1 Like

Lom - https://store.lom.audio/ - makes quality stuff. You can tell by the pic how small they are (and the mikro version is even smaller) and it just makes you want to put them places. There is now one permanently attached to my H4n.

5 Likes

Proud owner of a Digitone now - ex-demo unit for a great price.
Very immediate and sonically enjoyable, it pairs so well with the DT, love the power of both units together.

I am going back over all my old DT projects from a few back and getting creative again writing new phrases and melodies, reinvigorating them, which is awesome.

Love it, regret not getting it sooner tbh.

3 Likes

Same here! Wasnā€™t planning on getting one yet but one came up locally with a cracked screen for silly cheap and I couldnā€™t resist. Really clever and fun take on FM, just need to get the muscle memory developed and learn a good range of go-to algos and settings.

Kinda nervous about using two elektron machines at the same time though (OT+DN). Seems a bit stressful keeping track of two sequencers, two sets of patterns, etc. How do people approach it?

1 Like