What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

I have thus far resisted the Easel Command for lack of space, and having recently made a decision to get on the waiting list for a new VCS3 means I gotta save cash for the next few years. A lot of cash. So I I pushed the Easel to the back of my mind. However, this would require very little space or moolah… :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m pretty disciplined actually and I enjoy getting new ideas so it’s all good! I think I made classic eurorack beginner mistakes (twice) so perhaps next time I’ll get it right!

2 Likes

I’ve been experiencing Buchla fever lately as well and I’d highly recommend downloading the demo for Arturia’s software easel. The demo lets you play freely for 20 minute increments, which is just long enough to realize you should stop dreaming of Buchla and get back to your actual gear.

It sounds great and gives you a mirror image of the Easel’s panel to play with (Arturia added lots of bonus features but you can ignore them if you just want a standard Easel experience).

4 Likes

picked this up on a recent work trip to Cali. We went on our honeymoon to the desert

31 Likes

Indeed. I am quite aware of the Arturia. I wrote a tutorial or two about it for Computer Music when it was released. :blush:

2 Likes

Must sound gritty.

1 Like

You mention eurorack and next time I’ll get it right in one sentence.

1 Like

what is this classic eurorack beginner mistake? and is it getting into eurorack?

2 Likes

for me, it was just wildly buying whatever module i lusted after in the moment, and building a “collection of nice modules” rather than a cohesive musical system with clear intent. in the end i couldn’t justify keeping it, given what it cost vs how much music i made with it

1 Like

There isn’t one but a whole bunch. Getting too many complex VCOs or other voices, not getting enough modulation or utilities, getting a bunch of modules really rapidly, choosing based on a three-minute YouTube video with succulents, choosing based on Reddit “advice”, thinking “everyone seems to have X so it must be right for me”, buying something because it is hard to get and you just saw the listing go up, not learning enough about what one has before getting more. And, yeah, probably “getting into Eurorack”, which is probably not the right decision for possibly a majority of people who attempt it.

3 Likes

Late 90s KMFDM stuff

27 Likes

I’ve hoovered schneef off of the cover of Gordon Korman’s “This Can’t Be Happening at Macdonald Hall.”

this is also my justification. I have four of your oscillators. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I was in Perfect Circuit today, and I was thinking “if I had a bunch of extra money I might consider buying one of those Erica or Make Noise systems,” but I’m super glad I never got sucked into building a euro rig. That’s just me: I know it would bring out the worst in my obsessive researching, second-guessing, impulsive enthusiasm, etc. and I would probably end up with an expensive mess and/or a lot of modules resold at a loss.

I guess use case scenarios vary: a classic (or experimental) modular synth; a bank of curated utilities to talk to other modular/cv gear; an all-in-one performance rig tailored to your style. I get it, and I’m sure many of you have been brilliantly successful at keeping things focused. I just know I wouldn’t be. :grimacing:

2 Likes

IDK what I’ll do, traded for my 0-coast. meat & potatoes synth for pads and shit I guess? I’ve got so much experimental sound sources that something basic is maybe what I need

15 Likes

Plans: duets with @GovernorSilver over at the Melodicanauts thread.

12 Likes

Intentions: get weird, use as centre-piece along with Octatrack for next lp. Realised how much I enjoy physical modelling and the potential for it in the music I make and took the plunge after lots of research and a bargain unit appearing on eBay.

13 Likes

I also got it for its simplicity and for band use. If I need something deep and more experimental, I play on my elektrons

Trio ?
Mine has keys of A4 !

14 Likes

“you hear that…? sounds like an accordion, but worse…”

11 Likes

Or quartet?! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes