What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

Grabbed this off of reverb. It is on my guitar pedal board right now. It sounds fantastic. I will probably use it on my synths as well.

16 Likes

Bass traps.
My room needed a bit of work.
Intention: more accurate mixes.

7 Likes

Roland JU-06A.
Intention: to forget that back in ā€˜99 I sold a Juno 106 for Ā£350uk. Dā€™Oh!

15 Likes

My intentions are to learn and then make some noiseā€¦

11 Likes

Maybe console yourself by imagining the person you sold it to constantly replacing voice chipsā€¦? :laughing:

9 Likes

I just realized that I didnā€™t post this in the appropriate thread even though itā€™s elsewhere.

Grandma!!

Intention, to get Moogy again after years of no Moogery. Loving it!

11 Likes

Iā€™ve played with it for 3 days and tried to understand the logic. Itā€™s a bit early to say this but unfortunately Iā€™m a bit disappointed for now. I usually try to find my way to master an instrument. I should understand whatā€™s going on while Iā€™m patching or playing it. For example, Pulsar is also pretty deep, complex but I could easily find my way. I can approach it with my own ideas. But with the Cocoquantus, I just feel like Peter Blasser is making music with it, not me and I hate this feeling :slight_smile: I really donā€™t like random stuff which is not controlled by me, even if it sounds beautiful. This instrument is totally beautiful but wellā€¦ Sometimes you donā€™t connect to an instrument and itā€™s normal.

4 Likes

And the fact that some kind soul gave it to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can totally see what you mean! Thus far Iā€™ve continuously been awestruck by how fast youā€™ve found your own way with a new instrument (MD, Pulsarā€¦). I bought my Coco cos I was going through a strong Hainbach phase but never really went anywhere with the Coco myself. Funnily enough, at the end the best part of the Coco for me were the oscillators. For what I was using the looper etc. for, the Octatrack worked a 100 times better for me.

4 Likes

Yes, just Sidrax + Octatrack works much better than Coco. Weird.
And not even the oscillators, for me no-input patching is pretty fun. I had some really cool noises. But I could just use a cheap mixer for this kind of stuff.
Maybe I should find a MDUW (or AR MKII!?, even Tempest!? hmm) to use it with the Soma trio and done. Banana synths are fun but Iā€™m not really productive with them.

2 Likes

Have you modulated the sidrax with the quantussy yet?

I think coco serves as the ideal brain for a CL-centric setup. You can easily modulate the others with CV from the quantussy, then also modulate the audio with the loopers. And bring in real world sounds with a mic or contact mic or both.

I agree that the randomness can be excessive. Iā€™ve also been thinking about an OT as an alternative lately. Idk if thatā€™s the road for me right now but just wanted to provide more counterpoint.

I really like hajimmieā€™s videos for some good examples

3 Likes

Yes. :wink:

1 Like

Klavis Twin Waves Mk2. Digital 8HP dual oscillator with some very smart internal (complex osc) routings.

Together with the Ultrafold wavefolder itā€™s my new in-rack bass machine.

One output goes pure sine into the folder. Second output I can choose whichever oscillator type (its got all kinds of pure, unisons, self synced, additives), and then I pick or blend them in my two free mixer channels.

5 Likes

Next purchase today:

Thic shit (100kg/m3)

Next up is figuring out how to DIY these into frames (or keep them in their plastic @dtr;), which fabric to use, where to place. Will ask around in the right threads. (I anyone has advice, hit me up!)

8 Likes

My own process for working with this stuff is to build a 2ā€™ x 2ā€™ wooden frame either 2" or 4" wide and 1" thick (4ā€™ x 2" x 4" for bass traps). This is screwed onto a 2ā€™ x 2ā€™ fibre peg board backing (the stuff with evenly-spaced holes in it, typically used for hanging tools). I load the rockwool in to the hollow area on the front - use enough that it protrudes a little beyond the frame. I then stretch coarse burlap over it, stapling or nailing it to the rear frame. A bit of chain (or two) screwed into the back of the frame makes a good wall hanger.

Wear long-sleeves gloves and a respirator (or at least a mask) when dealing with this stuff. Itā€™s not as bad as the pink fibreglass, but it still isnā€™t good to breathe or touch.

Hereā€™s one of mine:

21 Likes

Iā€™d also say check how thick it needs to be for your purpose, build a frame and squeeze in the rockwool. Thatā€™s what the internet says and how I built mine. Actually pretty easy. Iā€™d use painting fleece under the cloth to help keep the rock wool particles in.

2 Likes

This is a really good idea.

2 Likes

And cheap too

2 Likes

This too. Most of mine are only 2" thick, unlike the 4" on shown in the photo above.

Also worth noting: if youā€™re handy with an airbrush and use soft paint that doesnā€™t clog the ā€˜holesā€™ in the burlap or dry hard, you can use 'em as canvases to spruce up your room:

9 Likes
3 Likes