What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

Zed-6 mixer:
Purpose/Use: Sub-mixing percussion from ‘non-primary’ drum machines so I actually use them (Cycles/Razzmatazz/MC-307)

4 Likes

That’s a banging rack setup.

5 Likes

Squarp Pyramid just arrived in the mail!

I’m excited for the midi looping capabilities, but mainly purchased it for the linear sequencing abilities.

The embarassing truth is that in 25 years of playing various instruments across different genres, I HAVE NEVER FINISHED A SINGLE SONG. Not one.

One one hand, I’m ok with that - music has always been a hobby, and I just love jamming over my own loops or with friends. Super rewarding.

On the other hand, as time goes on, I’m realizing that there’s some internal psychological stuff underlying that inability to finish tracks - perfectionism, unrealistic standards, lack of focus, difficulty “letting go” due to preconceived notions of what the final product should look like - and that this stuff actually manifests itself throughout my life in different ways.

I want to start finishing songs just to prove to myself that I can, ya know? They don’t even have to be good songs! They just have to be done. It feels like a healthy goal, and having a proper sequencer that can arrange all of my instruments feels like a step in the right direction.

14 Likes

Very interesting reading your reflections. Thanks for sharing. Have you thought about how you might go about finishing songs?

Well, I’ve been jamming with a drummer friend recently, it goes all over the place but we keep regressing to our teenage punk roots. Guitar, bass synth and drums still feels really good.

I’m going to try to lean into that for awhile and write some shitty 2 minute punk songs!

4 Likes

I can totally relate to that, and the Pyramid was my first stepping stone into the proper, dedicated, sequencer game. I later sold it for an Hapax as I was not so much into long linear sequences anyway.

My personal way to overcome the “I have to prove myself I can make a song after spending all those money on gear” was to simply continuing jamming, and pretend they’re all “performances” :grin:

Back on topic:
Ordered a Torso T1, I’m planning to use it with a Syntakt and a Micromonsta2 in a self contained, portable, performative setup (AnalogSol style)

1 Like

Not a purchase but I’ve just won the TC Electronic Studio Elite Collection after filling in their survey and looking forward to playing with the reverbs :slight_smile:

Also just paid for the upgrade to Axon 3 from Audio Damage and plan to make noise with it!

10 Likes

My wife needed a laptop a few months ago, so I gave her my M1 MBP. I’ve been mixing my audio on the Bluebox and then on my game PC in the meantime, which is not fun since the game PC is generally connected to the living room TV. I’ve been mixing things (what little I actually do to my tracks after hardware) sitting on the floor with the mouse and keyboard looking up at the TV. :smiley:

So, I ordered an M3 MBP, so I can once again mix anywhere, or make the occasional in the box track on a plane or hotel room. Now I have to transfer all my licenses back when it arrives. :frowning:

Just the standard 14" but with more memory. I was getting along fine with the M1 13" before, so I figured it’s a decent update without dumping money into extra cores.

17 Likes

Another A-frame three tier stand showed up last night so looks like it’s time to completely redecorate the studio…again.

11 Likes

Pics plz :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro Open Backs

Mixing in my Protools class.

Jeezus… How could i know it was like this? Not bass heavy at all, but I can hear the bass perfectly… like every cycle… and the seperation… the highs are bright. I can hear every frequency.

Really Comfy too… but, after using them for 3-4 hours of critical mixing, I feel it… my ears get fuzzy… its just too too many frequencies, and my ears get spent… they are definitely not used to fidelity this high… just power in its purest form.

I hear EVERYTHING.

11 Likes

Noooo!!! I’m hearing too much!!!

5 Likes

8 Likes

This is fuckin RAD! Wheres it from?

1 Like

Stable diffusion prompts. I generated a bunch and always thought it was pretty nice. Your post just reminded of it. 1990s… been on my to-grab list.

1 Like

I recently got the 900 pro x which I think are fairly similar to the 1990. Very nice headphones, in comparison with my old DT150 they have more balanced bass and smoother highs - also much comfier which is the main thing I was after. Very happy !

3 Likes

Hard to go wrong with Beyerdynamic.

I was gonna go Neumann, and I know they are great, but my rep at Sweetwater was like, “Neumann is better at microphones… I mix, and I use the 1990’s”

But the big epiphany is the open backs… the sound is just more voluminous since it can escape, and these are my first.

And having the bass response be so clear and transparent, its throwing me off a bit, because Im used to boosted punch that is normal in airpods and most headphones.

1 Like

What’s fucking me up is listening to printed master tracks on AirPods + Dropbox and getting “spatialized” audio —and liking it more than my actual mix.

2 Likes

Cool prompting… I saved it… Its giving me Transmetropolitan comic vibes.

Is it cool if I use it for a thumbnail for a track? If I make something funky?

Ill credit you in the comments.

1 Like

Is it spatializing after you mix?

Because if its affecting what you already did, then your work made the spatialization good… not visa versa.

But not having control of the algo would be frustrating, and not being able to recreate it outside of the airpods…

might be time to upload to Apple music for you!

1 Like