What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Mood or thermae for sending audio to and create wacky happy accidents, what would you recommend?

this equals mood. 100%. itā€™s wacky and unpredictable and for most of what I want, best left at like 20% mix. it can get very wild and unpredictable very quickly. another option is the blooper, as itā€™s similar to mood.

thermae is an analog delay with pitch shift and better control over the shifts (and timing of them) than its contemporaries. itā€™s more about warble and introducing vibrato in my world. at the extremesā€¦itā€™s more nuts and Iā€™m not sure yet where Iā€™d best use such sounds. but likely Iā€™ll not usually be there.

I almost put all my gear up for sale to go for a black rytm when I first saw one.
It might still happen!
Such a beautiful machine (in looks and sound).
I think itā€™s the best looking box elektron have ever made.

For me also much more quick & hands on, compared to the OT and A4. Feels like a Digitakt on steroids, especially when your not planning on sequencing the hell out of external gear (the DT obviously does that better).

1 Like

Yepā€¦
That Dark World is tempting me :slight_smile:
A lot.

@AdamJay might be worth popping the hood and checking the backup battery if it has been sat in storage for a while.

http://llamamusic.com/super-jx/MKS-70_battery_replacement.html

3 Likes

See I knew those 0-boxes are just gateway drugs into ā‚¬-crack!

Note to self: no matter how fun they look, gotta stay off m :smile:

5 Likes

I had my 0-coast for all of 2/3 weeks before getting a case and starting to buy modules!

6 Likes

Yupā€¦ got the 0-coast, ordered 0-ctrl a week later, planned out a small case and a few weeks after getting 0-coast Iā€™m properly into modular.

6 Likes

I think 0-coast was quite a revolution in that way, a small box that packed in loads of functions and showed you how cool modular could be. I still get tempted to buy/rack one sometimes even though I have a bigger case now.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a lot of chase bliss in 2 weeksā€¦

4 Likes

Itā€™s very cleverly designed to make you want more modules in a way I had not experienced with other semi-modular synths in the past.

I could see myself someday replacing it with the full modules from Make Noise, but then Iā€™m looking at an entirely different price range. They really nailed a sweet spot with the price-features ratio.

2 Likes

Absolutely they did!
I ended up doing just that, buying the fuller set of MN modules so I could still learn by recreating the 0-coast patches that are everywhere on the internet.

3 Likes

Got myself a Shure SM7B mic to simplify my workflow for recording tutorials. Fits perfectly in the mic arm and works great! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I think I ended up getting even more semi-modulars before racking some of them and only then deciding that more modules would be a good additionā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve had an 0-Coast for 2,5 years now and have still resisted the urge to take the full euro plunge. :stuck_out_tongue: I thought last year would be the year, but then covid hit and everything I had my eye on for starting out was out of stockā€¦ :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thatā€™s Jogging House status right thereā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks, yea the plan is to just remove it when I swap the eproms, as the new flash chip main eprom wonā€™t require a battery.

The previous caretaker cleaned the inside a couple times. The only issue Iā€™ve noticed is a couple of the numeric keys get a little stuck sometimes.

Two months ago I didnā€™t know that this machine (or even this company) existed. Thank you to all forum posters for much needed context and unwitting encouragement. Going to hunker down and learn about it carefully, and hopefully use it to drive a small synth or two.

33 Likes

thereā€™s a good chance they donā€™t all stay. but thereā€™s no other way to try them and not much (if any) money to be lost in the re-sale. soā€¦ :man_shrugging: