What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 1)

Thomann. Ordered it when it beecame available for preordering. Got a est date start February so it came earlier than expected.

1 Like

I love these passive mixers and have three of them dotted around my home. Theyā€™re very useful for, well, mixing multiple sources to make home AV systems much easier to use. I have an Echo Dot permanently connected through my Hifi speakers while also being able to play my CD player and TV sound through them, without ever having to switch source.

1 Like

Got 2 U-he deals from the NI site ( only 2days to go).

Colour Copy
Repro

Because yea, some fine ITB tools are also a thing, OT will be happy.

5 Likes

Repro is great, Iā€™ve been using the beta version for a long time before finally purchasing it. Their plug-in protection was some noise burst every 30 seconds so if you work in 120 bpm itā€™s very easy to missā€¦ Or, think that something is wrong with your equipment and search for a defect for 30 minutes before realising itā€™s from the plug-in.

3 Likes

Also snagged Repro from the NI sale - already had Diva from the previous one. Considered Zebra as well, but I already have Serum and donā€™t want to learn two new synths at once!

2 Likes

U-He is definitely up their with the best. Love their stuff. Excited to see what they do with their ventures into eurorack.

After giving the BlipBlox as a gift I had to get my own. Pretty competent little synth.

12 Likes

Sequencerā€¦ Going toā€¦ sequence thingsā€¦ :crazy_face:

16 Likes

I am a fan of uHe products (have most of their synths) and recently added colour copy (along with presswerk) and itā€™s quickly becoming a favourite

1 Like

I bought Resonic Pro this week. The developer instantly reached out to me, live on Discord, where he is for any questions. Iā€™ve been using Resonic Beta for a couple years as a audio play/browser/ drag and drop files. The Pro adds slicing, which I need for the OT. Great developer. Super responsive. Recommended.
Intention: Go through all my songs and samples/old records-clean house, chop um up and send to OT.

5 Likes

Are they shipping now?

Yes. They made a mistake shipping to me, so I expect I was the last one of the pre-orders to go out.

1 Like

Resonic is great. use it for a year or so. love how fast it starts upā€¦

1 Like

I canā€™t wait for the Deckardā€™s Voice to start shipping. I think thatā€™ll be my first foray into modular.

Repro is SO good. It is my go-to vintage sound synth ITB no questions asked.

1 Like

Novation Peak. Intentions: to have a flexible poly for dialing in sounds that complement my DN, recording stems into my OT. Felt constrained by the voice count and palette on my Minilogue and was thinking about upgrading to an XD on the low end, or an OB6 on the high end, but couldnt justify the price. A few MylarMelodies and Legowelt vids helped convince me. I can already hear how the Peak will take me to some really interesting places via modulation and waveforms, and hoping I quickly reach sounds my DN canā€™t quite pull off - the DN comes with me to gigs, the Peak will stay home but gives the OT nice stems to work with live.

A lot of people love the filter, I find it alright but nothing special - itā€™s not the character centerpiece as it is on the OB6 or even the Minilogue. But thats cool as Iā€™m more interested in finding other sweet spots of sound design than subtractive filter sweeps anyway;)

Beatstep Pro. Seller made me a really nice deal for the Peak+BSP combined, including shipping. I always wanted to try one of these out as the layout and workflow seem intuitive for live performance, and I liked the idea of tweaking basslines on the fly with the knobs set to a single scaleā€¦

ā€¦but after setting it up and jamming last night I realize it doesnā€™t do anything I canā€™t achieve with my DT/OT (aside from beat rolls, scales, and velocity sensitive pads, which arenā€™t essential for me.) Iā€™ve got enough muscle memory on those two already and donā€™t need another sequencer confusing my brain.

Also, the UI of the knobs (2 rows of 8) not matching up directly with their sequencer steps (1 row of 16) is not super intuitive to me and I donā€™t feel like building that muscle memory. Iā€™ll give it a few more tries but can see myself selling it and getting a Launchcontrol XL, which will complement the DT better. If I ever get into modular, might revisit the BSP, but by then the used prices will be even lower - theyā€™re not at all hard to find.

12 Likes

Interesting take. Just proves how valuable the Elektron sequencers are. LCXL is nice, faders feel quite solid to slam around. Mute buttons (the ones below the faders) can sometimes be tricky, not firing when pressed out of center once every few times. I like it more in conjunction to the Rytm, using the Rytm pads for muting and the midi controller for faders and fx/filters. Just the share, in case you havenā€™t had the LCXL before. And of course youā€™d need a usb midi host to make it work!

1 Like

Itā€™s here. It looks the business. Intention is to spend 2021 diving into the analog side of Elektron synthesis. Also to make some tunes with it (and its Elektron friends). I did way more buying/selling of gear in 2020 than I wanted. Iā€™m planning on this year being a no-purchase year. I hope that solidifying the setup will allow me to spend my time learning how to use these awesome machines, while cranking out some completed tracks. I started to feel a creative flow toward the end of last year, and I want to keep that going this year. For a big chunk of last year I was thinking that my setup was too heavy on elektron stuff, and needed more diversity. After some diversions and experiments, Iā€™m basically all elektron now, with the polyend tracker being the only exception. I guess it just works for me. Anyway, enough with the blabbing.

29 Likes

The filter comes alive when you start to introduce distortion and modulation, check out the post-filter drive accessible via the menu, turn that up almost as a rule in most patches. The filter is kind of polite at first, but it can get into insane territory. Mod matrix and filter parameters, go nuts.

Oh also if you set up a patch for multiple voices in unison, then start to tweak the filter divergence parameter, you will get into wonderful distinct filter territory pretty quickā€¦ but most of all, do not be shy with that post-filter drive!!!

4 Likes

Gonna have to try that out more! Iā€™m partial to the pre-filter drive but maybe thatā€™s just cause itā€™s got itā€™s own knob (ā€¦ and ideologically, from a guitaristā€™s perspective I love the idea of overdriving before something).

FM > Filter and NS > OSC1/Filter are some of my favorites. Agreed on the unison mode - Iā€™ve been trying to pull some Super6 tones (in this case Peaky4) out of mine recently

4 Likes