What's your experience with hardware FM synths?

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re asking, but I play my Opsix & Syntakt with a Launchpad.

I’m just using it for the scales, velocity and aftertouch really since I’ve kind of given up with keys. I don’t have any CCs mapped.

1 Like

I should have clarified that I was thinking of faders/knobs to control parameters, e.g for simultaneous control of multiple operators. That sounds like a nice setup though.

1 Like

That’s how the implementation in the Kronos works, i.e with faders and knobs controlling various aspects about the operators.

Thanks!

Looks like this is what CC’s the Opsix listens to.

Right center column “O” designates recognized CCs. Left is transmitted.

I’d mostly want to edit envelopes per operator if I could vs paging through each operator, but seems it’s just the overall ones on the home screen.
It’d make for some nice shortcuts at least if I took the time to set it up!

1 Like

Goddam, that’s rough. LOL

1 Like

Depending how much you want to work, you could go through Howard Massey’s THE COMPLETE DX7. Sometimes PDFs float around the net, or you can sign up free at the Internet Archive and read it there:

If you go through the book with a synth that duplicates the DX7 architecture (Volca FM, Dexed vst, etc.), the author explains how to make different sounds and gives you simple demo patches to set up—you can hear what he’s talking about. The concepts would apply to other Yamaha-style synths: Opsix, Montage/ModX, vintage Yammies.

I didn’t finish the book but found it helpful.

1 Like

That’s a good one. Can’t remember if it is in that book or elsewhere, but my favorite FM description was comparing a 4op synth to the beatles where each op is one of the members of the band. Paul is singing as the carrier op, and John is a modulator. Instead of John singing, he shakes Paul by the neck at incredibly high speeds, going from a vibrato sound to being shaken so fast that he creates a harmonic overtone. Then, George grabs John and shakes him while he continues to shake Paul, introducing another overtone etc etc

2 Likes

I have a Digitone and it is super user friendly compared to the other FM synths that I have used in terms of selecting operators and so forth. Then I have FM eurorack modules like Hertz Donut that are really powerful with tons of routing options.

I remember that quote too. At first glance of my old scan, it isn’t in Massey’s book, but it could be because my attention span is worse every year I’m on the internet.

Great image in any case…

1 Like

I’ve had two Digitones, sold them both. I liked them but ended up making similar sounds as what I make on the Syntakt and lack of bit reduction and other things to make it sound grittier.

I have a MegaFM and Blast Beats and those are both more my style.

2 Likes

I have a similar experience, started with Medusa from Polyend for the 3OP wavetable based FM mode (quite nice, really !) then I sold it to get a Digitone. I wanted more FM voices so I bought a BlastBeats, loved the sound but for me the UI makes it unusable in live situation, so I returned it. I bought a second Digitone (now my main set). And recently I bought a Syntakt to see if it could replace my two Digitone but I have to admit that I’m quite disappointing with it, all the FM stuff on it is overly simplified for my use but I also find the syn bits great with its srr and brr. So now I’m really hoping to see a firmware update for the DN adding srr and brr per voice (digitakt like) that would make it almost perfect for my use (oh, and a performance mode please ! :slight_smile: )

Molly stays at home and does her pretty face
And in the evening she’s a carrier with the band

2 Likes

I try to make my P12 module sounding bad with Fm patches, but i fail. Ok more knobs would be cool, but its workable.