What's your all-time favourite DRUM Machine?

Thanks :black_heart: too late though. I’ve suddenly sold it as I was a bit bored of taming it all the time which took a lot of time. To be honest sometimes I’ve tried to make it sound like a Plumbutter anyway and I’ve finally ordered one to try it.

Someday I’ll buy the orange one though. I still love it. I just need to miss it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

One of the things that bothers me about the Pulsar is the inability to chromatically control the kick, snare and hh modules. The clips can be a pain as well.

Yeah, the atomic orange one looks the business!

1 Like

Who said it was bad?

Possibly.

I suppose my “no, duh!” response would be my MD but I have a warm place in my heart for a few far less capable choices.

Electribes ER/ES-1’s. Simple, to the point, good sounding and fun to use.

An iOS app: Yellofier. It’s a advertised as “Oh Yeah” on your phone.

Got it on a lark. It turns out to be my most used music app. A sampler with autochop and a much deeper sequencer than you’d expect. Each sample can be put through a delay/filter effect.

Some of the results are Elektron box worthy in terms of beautiful chaos.

2 Likes

For sure. No pins for Envelopes is another one!

2 Likes

MFB Tanzbär (OG) is my fav.

Edit:
I don’t count samplers (exclusive) as drum machines! They can play drums (often very well) but for me they are not (dedicated) drum machines (with onboard sound sources).

Example: DT/OT are no drum machines for me (could be drum samplers), AR/A4/DN = drum machines if used that way.

3 Likes

I would really like to try one of these one day.

1 Like

Polyend Percs and any sequencer:

8 Likes

I can only talk of the ones i have.

Octatrack

Modor DR-2

DSI Tempest

Jomox Alpha Base

I have to say i like them all, They have diffrent flavour and strengths that i like about them.

I used to own a Rytm MK1 but i was to new to the hardware drummachine things at the time to appreciate it properly.

2 Likes

Since we’re listing all of them anyway… I really loved the beats I got out of the OPz. Great sequencer, great performance fx, sounds pretty punchy with samples

1 Like

My all time favorite is the one that I keep telling myself I haven’t found yet, so therefore I must keep buying and hoarding them all. :laughing: :rofl:

6 Likes

@Geneoart @MichaalHell Please feel free to share more imperfections about the Pulsar 23, it really helps calm the FOMO over here. That thing looks incredible but it’s good to hear it has flaws like everything else.

Adding to this cumulative list, in the sub-category of “drum machines you can play with actual drum sticks,” I nominate the Roland SPD-30 Octapad. You can’t load your own samples onto it (that’s what the SPD-SX is for), and it’s more than a little menu-divey for sound design and creating your kits/effects, but playing it couldn’t be more fun. The onboard sounds are excellent, the pad response is really nice and nuanced, and it’s got a built-in looper that lets you layer up to 3 kits at the same time. It’s just awesome to play and a really nice complement to the more XOX-style boxes.

I’ve had - sp1200, asr-x, mpc 2000, mpc 2000xl, mpc 1000, mpc 60,DSI Tempest, mpc one, AR1, and now AR2

and honestly… there is only one machine that has analog filters (the MPCs besides the mpc one only had a low pass!) … sound locks, parameter locks, probability trigs, performance mode, the illustrious elektron sequencer, sample capability, analog sound engines, great sounding FX …the ability to mix samples/synth engines…i could probably keep going

the analog rytm is the greatest drum machine of all time

2 Likes

one of my friends brought over his Soma Pulsar and it looks and sounds super amazing. The alligator clips take getting used to however. I wish that they had used standard eurorack patch cables honestly.

1 Like

I totally agree. I had a MD when they fist came out. Sold it, cuz I was making different music than what the core machines could do. Years later, I bought a MnM and have zero complaints. With the built in filters/effects it’s hard to not enjoy the sound of it. I can make just about any sound I need on the MnM.
Recently a friend lent me his MD UW and I must say that now that I am proficient in the Elektron way of working, I loved the MD workflow, but still didn’t really get what I wanted out of the sound engine. Really, really fun to write songs on tho.
And my drum machine fav of all time- TR-606 for just really fun fast working…And, Octatrack MK1 for my forever funk box.

1 Like

Yea I have the same with the Pulsar … . Have to stay strong though :wink:

I get bills from everywhere … spring suprises :smiley:

2 Likes

mOnOMACHINE!

8 Likes

Digitone! Sometimes I make breaks on the dn and resample and chop on the polyend tracker. I’ve made plenty of beat heavy tracks on just digitone though.

3 Likes

I like my Roland TR-08 for the battery power and built in speaker feature and it is easy to get a fun beat grooving quickly. I pair it with my TB03 for a great battery powered package and Teenage Engineering OP-1. Lets me jam outdoors and on the go easily.

3 Likes