Whats the most Melancholic Sounding Synth

You know, I think you’re on to something there, actually :slight_smile:

1 Like

Especially the Ondes Martenot through a thom yorke.

Really like this video, where Jonny Greenwood expresses his enthusiasm for this instrument

1 Like

Waldorf Streichfett?

1 Like

all of them. (that’s why they were used in 80s gothic rock so widely)
but yeah, all Streichfett demos i’ve seen sounded melahcholic.

1 Like

Moog Voyager. Vermona Perfourmer. Korg ARP Odyssey (when setup gently).

1 Like

Here is my conclusion of this thread:
Any Synth can sound melachonic or sad, imo it depends on the notes you play, the Patch on the synth itself, the fx you put on it.
And, most important: the Musical context and also how people are peprcieving the sound

2 Likes

This thread is just “sheep bait”

1 Like

Baaaaaaaa :slight_smile:

1 Like

Broken synths

Ethically less troubling than sampling broken people…

1 Like

I dont know about you guys, but EVERY synth I have I try to make them sound melancholic.

It is just the music I am into though. I just try to make Psychedelia with a touch of Abstract Hip-Hop in everything I do :raccoon: :wolf:

Something easy to avoid the question is to plug FX pedals like the Gen Loss or the Mood or the Microcosm behind your synth, and you have instant melancholic bliss feelings with any gear…

That’s it for me folks, glad to have never answered the question properly :water_buffalo: :koala: :skunk:

1 Like

+1 for sticking to the questions parameters :slight_smile:

I’d agree that string machine style synths are the most melancholic to me. and likely that’s Joy Division’s fault. so going alongside that, I’d say the Korg Polysix fits the bill best. it’s very easy to make it sound string synth-ish, but it has far more range than that. it just sounds so old, dusty, and dark. I adore it.

1 Like

always able to coax some melancholy out of the Roland rs-09.

I just got a Polyend Medusa and the sadness I can pull from that thing is epic and drowning, esp. with FX.

1 Like

So let’s say all synths can sound melancholic, which I believe.
Let’s say we have a minor chords.
I would say you make it melancholic by getting closer of a string orchestra, with a pitch vibrato and the right amount of reverb, very few sounds, LP filter…

What’s your own recipe?

1 Like

Any synth in the hands of a melancholic player.

All synths can sound melancholic. But whats the most melancholic off the bat. Oh no im repeating myself :slight_smile:
That is in its timbre/tone. I agree with a few here. Some not so much. I always felt the tone of the Korg Lambda was very melancholic.

Volca Keys has a feature where you can play a ”minor” key. It’s like normal major keys but sounds very sad.

Those are both classic melancholic chord sequences and any synth is going to sound melancholic playing them.

Id put the Voyager up there as well.