Whats the most Melancholic Sounding Synth

I’m taking straight off the bat. It just gives that vibe of sadness/melancholia.(Not because it sounds crap lol). Every-time its played makes you feel a sense of sadness/reminisce etc.

3 Likes

I think theremins at least express melancholy the best.

11 Likes

As for synths I’ve owned… I’d say Sequential Rev2, Dreadbox Nyx V1 or Korg Lamda.

1 Like

I like the OB-Xd for this. I always seem to get something melancholic (or sad, dark, mysterious, etc.) out of it. And it’s free “for non-commercial use”.

1 Like

I’d have to say mine… my synth is definitely the most melancholic. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I read about the terrible tragedies of mans inhumanity to man and recorded the sounds of my subsequent tears falling into my KD lit by a single bare lightbulb in my squalid studio apartment next to the railroad tracks and downwind from the rendering plant, then loaded those onto my OT

13 Likes

Digitone.

4 Likes

Ondes Martenot / Ondomo :]

1 Like

Ensoniq ESQ-1 or SQ-80

3 Likes

Plinky is advertised as such:

5 Likes

The Junost-21 I talked down mightily in another thread is pretty bleak. I keep it around for that goth album I’ll probably never make.

4 Likes

Lyra 8

8 Likes

100% Lyra 8. I love it, but that thing can get pretty out there fast

2 Likes

Any synth through a Quadraverb.

5 Likes

Lyra 8 through Quadraverb.

8 Likes

Korg Volca Keys is pretty melancholic. So are most dreadbox synths.

3 Likes

Pete drake’s guitare ofc

… Or musical saw, maybe.

2 Likes

Isnt the most melancholic “sound” a train horn in the distance in the middle of the night?

6 Likes

According to the Romantics, it’s the absinthe :grin:

5 Likes

+1 on both volca keys and the dsi prophet 8/rev2/mopho/tetra family

5 Likes