Whats the most Melancholic Sounding Synth

So you just closed the thread. All synths are melancholic!

Any knife can cut you… that doesn’t mean all knives are sharp.
I believe the thread is still open :slight_smile:

Right, I guess I just go for the DN when I want to make crying/whispering voices. Something about it… or just deep emotional bass in general. That thing can puncture

Fm synthesis can sound cold and melancholic. I find that the sound of Mellotron strings has a kind of slightly out of tune, depressing 70’s vibe that has always made me feel kind of sad. It’s all about personal associations I guess.

2 Likes

Yea I’d say everyone sees melancholy differently. Good point!

2 Likes

my synth that sits unused, gathering dust. i wish it wasnt so loud

OB-6 is great for melancholia of all flavors.

2 Likes

This thread got me to revisit my favorite Board of Canada tracks

3 Likes

For me it’s the Digitone. The beautiful, dusty and special timbres it can do really suits the melancholic IDM-ish pieces I’ve made with it.

3 Likes

Korg Z1. It creates a powerful sense of dread.

5 Likes

MegaFM is my most melancholic synth, followed by OB-6 and Digitone.

2 Likes

The Beth Gibbons rev2

4 Likes

A dead voice of a lent juno 60…

2 Likes

The found harmonium.

Medusa seems that way to me… especially when playing it using the grid with very gentle pitch bend assigned to the x axis and some amount of cutoff freq assigned to the y axis. It becomes difficult to play precisely which adds to the sadness. Something about the inherent sound also feels dark and distant as well. When designing sounds on it, it feels way too easy to get to a warm and complex place while getting to a bright and simple place takes some work. I’ve noticed that the analog oscillators are really interesting in their sound, before ever applying any filter freq and reso. I’m sure this adds to the situation.

1 Like

Animoog App has lot of potential for this purpose and plenty Melancholic sweet spots when using the x-y touchscreen keyboard to express feelings.
For instant melancholic music take a jump in Scaler and skip thru some preset chord progressions and scales. Hook it up to your favorite synth or use the build in sound engine. If you can’t play notes you find yourself in moviescore heaven in no time.

1 Like

I made a juno106 patch once that sounded like a broken piano played underwater in a large cave… that had some sad wistful feels.

2 Likes

If you wanna show your melancholic tracks there’s now a thread for it :grinning:

The Casio CZ-101/1000 for me. Something miserable, dark and foggy hidden in those PD waveforms and crunchy DACs. I love it. :grin:

It sounds like this:

Even the case looks depressed.

2 Likes